Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo

The Arma 2 Website now offers a playable demo for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, the standalone expansion for their military first-person shooter. The demo includes a single-player mission, a couple of single-player scenarios, three Boot Camp scenarios, multiplayer missions, the "Team Deathmatch" multiplayer template, and the Mission Editor, which includes the ability to save and load your scenarios. This page lists download mirrors, and the demo is also available on ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming.com, and Gamer's Hell. Here's Bohemia Interactive's description of the demo: "This 3GB demo thrusts you straight into the unique gameplay featured in the full version of Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead; it showcases the realistic sandbox environment, offers multiplayer gameplay, and gives you a peek at the vast array of vehicles, weapons, units at your disposal. The demo offers a massive amount of highly detailed content, giving you a sharp flavour of the epic new environment (modelled on real-world data), a full taste of the mission editor, and a real appetite to experience the most authentic mil-sim available: war without the training wheels."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 13:52 Muscular Beaver

Nah, it hits right near the target. You can see the bullet hit something invisible right in front of it.
Happens to me quite often since I use sniper rifles from far away a lot.
Guess at least they cant see me and dont fire back at me.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 13:00 Drayth

I think these are two different issues - in my case the unit literally becomes invincible and you can fire at it dead on and not kill it (I had this happen once). Your case sounds like the bullet is hitting an obstacle it shouldn't before it hits the target.

Your problem might be due to the fact that the bullet literally fires from under your sights so the bullet's trajectory is lower then your where you have the target centered on your screen. A lot of times (dating back to OpFlash) I've squeezed the trigger while prone and had the bullet fire into the ground because I didn't raise the scope up enough to get the rifle's muzzle high enough for the bullet to clear the ground in front of me.

If that's what's effecting you it isn't really a bug, just something we're not used to as gamers. Pretty much all other games don't tie the bullet's exit directly to the muzzle on the in game gun model, OpFlash / ArmA does.

I remember in ArmA 1 though, I would lean around a corner of a building and fire into an invisible section of the building's corner that leans out further then what is visible in game. If it's that, it's just annoying (never noticed that problem on terrain though).

--Edit: Here you go, Ant.

Although 2009's Arma II set a high standard for the all-purpose military simulator, its buggy single-player campaign held it back from achieving its full potential. In contrast, Arma II: Operation Arrowhead, its stand-alone expansion, boasts all the beauty, realism, and action of the original and none of the game-breaking bugs. Improving upon its predecessor in almost every way, Arrowhead introduces a new setting, new weapons, and new adventures to a great military sandbox

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2010, 13:40.

15. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 12:33 Muscular Beaver

Drayth wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 11:55:
ArmA II engine is very stable as far as I can tell, Ant. I don't see any bug complaints other then one rare one involving MG nests on the forums. That one's just a nuisance, sometimes you can't kill a guy who is mounted to a machine gun.

Other then that the game runs great on my system. Course I've never had problems with crashes even in ArmA 1, but like I said, the forums seem happy enough.

I know usually ArmA demos suck, it's usually an early version of the code, but this is well into the ArmA II engine's life.

To be fair, its not really perfect.
The bug you mentioned can happen with anything. If stuff is far away from you behind a small hill or ledge and you zoom in with a scope, you sometimes can see over that ledge (most of the time when you are prone). When you try to shoot the target, it will just hit the invisible hill in front of it.
Also the engine has a lot of Z-Fighting when zooming in. It even pisses me off sometimes.

- Mojo Jojo

14. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 11:58 Ant

Drayth wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 11:55:
ArmA II engine is very stable as far as I can tell, Ant. I don't see any bug complaints other then one rare one involving MG nests on the forums. That one's just a nuisance, sometimes you can't kill a guy who is mounted to a machine gun.

Other then that the game runs great on my system. Course I've never had problems with crashes even in ArmA 1, but like I said, the forums seem happy enough.

I know usually ArmA demos suck, it's usually an early version of the code, but this is well into the ArmA II engine's life.
Good. ARMA2 demo turned me off.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 11:55 Drayth

12. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 11:34 jimnms

Ant wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 08:30:
I assume Falcon 3.0? If so, then remembers its huge manual? I played it on my IBM PS/2 Model 30 Intel 286 10 Mhz! It had no voices because of lack of EMS for 286. Same for lots of games like X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, etc.
I remember Falon3 being about 11MB. That was huge, especially when I only had an 80MB HD. I played it on a 386DX 25MHz. I couldn't run the graphics at max, but since it was a 386DX it had the math co-processor which allowed me to enable the hi-fidelity flight model.

I remember taking it to school and loading it on their computers. They had 486SX 25MHz. It would handle the game at full graphics settings, but since it was an SX model 486, it lacked the math co-processor to be able to use the hi-fidelity flight model.

I also thought it was amazing what that game would do with the PC speaker. I didn't have a sound card, but it could play the radio voices, engine and cockpit sounds using just the PC speaker. I later did get a sound card, and I remember it had an option to use the PC speaker for the radio and the sound card for everything else.

Damn that brings back memories, and reminds me how old I am.

Anyway, I'll try this demo, it might take a while seeing as my connection has been acting up lately.

Steam Profile

11. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 09:39 kylania

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 20:05:
Unless you mean the campaign - which you can get through in 8 hours or less. Probably 6 if you know where to go and what to do.

And the only cool mission in all that is the helicopter remote target drone thing - which is a really sad thing for a ground combat focused game.

Imo of course

In other games the single player campaign exists simply because they had to put it in for whatever reason. In ArmA2 the campaign exists to show you the kinds of things you can do with the engine and scripting. The game really shines with it's editor and multiplayer abilities.

10. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 08:30 Ant

Is this demo buggy like the last Arma 2 demo?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 08:30 Ant

Learning wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 17:05:
I remember getting a flight sim called Falcon that was 11 megs and I thought that was huge then,now a 3GB demo.wow times have sure changed.
I assume Falcon 3.0? If so, then remembers its huge manual? I played it on my IBM PS/2 Model 30 Intel 286 10 Mhz! It had no voices because of lack of EMS for 286. Same for lots of games like X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, etc.

8. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 01:56 Joss

Yeah, I see these AI leaning around the corner and firing at me... it's fantastic. Just got off OA with ACE. Wish they'd take out the stamina/fatigue thing as there is a lot of running involved.  

7. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 01:20 Muscular Beaver

jimnms,
the AI in ArmA 2 is the best real AI you can get in a game nowadays. They are completely independent and make choices on their own all the time.
There simply is no AI out there that is comparable with it, because the others are restricted with scripts, waypoints, very limited choices and do not communicate with each other.
Sure, it has its flaws, but if it wouldnt, it would be the perfect AI. And that simply isnt possible right now.

If you think its a little unfair, which it seems sometimes, then I would suggest playing with the ACE2 mod. The AI is slightly improved in it, so it isnt as uber anymore and seems more realistic. However, the game is easier that way, too.

- Mojo Jojo

6. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 01:02 Drayth

The AI is much improved over OpFlash. There's also the Zeus AI mod which makes the AI scary good (dunno if it's been updated to work with Arrowhead though, or if it needs to be). The AI will use cover incredibly effectively with that mod, as well as hunt you down in packs (that flank).

There's a free demo staring you in the face though.. if you're at all interested, why don't you give it a shot?

I do think that was the easiest ArmA / OpFlash mission (involving combat) I've ever played though. Have yet to pick up the full expansion, waiting till my new PC's ready.

Was a nice surprise to see the mission editor included in the demo.

5. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 21, 2010, 01:01 LittleMe

I remember getting a flight sim called Falcon that was 11 megs and I thought that was huge then,now a 3GB demo.wow times have sure changed.

11MEGS!! Whoa that's huge. I remember games with zero bytes. The Magnavox Odyssey has analog games so they can't even be pirated or downloaded.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2010, 01:09.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

4. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 20, 2010, 20:05 eRe4s3r

Unless you mean the campaign - which you can get through in 8 hours or less. Probably 6 if you know where to go and what to do.

And the only cool mission in all that is the helicopter remote target drone thing - which is a really sad thing for a ground combat focused game.

Imo of course

3. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 20, 2010, 19:49 jimnms

Have they done anything with the AI, or are they still dumb as a rock? I loved OFP, it was a kick ass game for its time, so the buggy AI was forgivable back then. I bought ArmA when it came out, but was very disappointed that the AI was still pretty much the same as OFP.

I never got far into the campaign of either game because I liked making missions. It was frustrating at times to get them to do what you wanted them to do, yet at the same time, every now and then they would do something so brilliant that it would amaze me (although they probably did it by accident).

I remember reading reviews of ArmA 2 when it came out that said the AI still hadn't changed, so I passed on it. I haven't been keeping up with the changes as its been patched. The trailer looks outstanding, but if the AI is still the same as OFP/ArmA, then I'll pass again.

Steam Profile

2. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 20, 2010, 17:23 Wildone

Its a HUGE HUGE game though..  

1. Re: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Demo Jul 20, 2010, 17:05 Learning

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo