Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

EA and 38 Studios announce Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, revealing the game formerly known as Project Mercury is "an epic, open-world role-playing game set in Amalur, a mysterious and magical new fantasy world created by New York Times best-selling author R. A. Salvatore." The single-player RPG is in development at 38's Big Huge Games, and is expected for release in autumn 2011 for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Details are still sparse, but more will be revealed on Thursday at Comic-Con. For now they say the game "sets players on a heroic journey to unlock the mysteries of Amalur. Amalur is a magical world, filled with strange landscapes, exotic cities, colorful characters and terrifying creatures." There's also this quote from Ken Rolston of Big Huge Games: "In Reckoning, we started with Bob and Todd's exceptional Kingdoms of Amalur game setting and imagery," he says. "On that foundation we built the open-world exploration, vast narrative and character customization fans expect from the best RPGs. And we've added something new that we've always wanted from the genre -- a fast-paced, graphically stimulating action combat experience with fluid control and immersive, discoverable gameplay fans haven't seen before in other fantasy RPGs."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 16:27 crazyfingers

Here's my take on the situation:

I was doing a lot of research into 38 studios and even did an art test for them. I also did QA at SOE for the title "Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom", many of the developers at 38 worked on this title before leaving SOE. We all knew the game was rushed at the time, but regardless of excuses the game just flat out wasn't very good (it was a ps3 launch title so it wasn't alone). The idea that 38 studio's title could have evolved (or devolved depending on your expectations) into a top down type of game makes sense considering their past development on Dark Kingdom, a top down RPG. It'll be interesting to see what kind of game they're able to put together now that they have ample time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 16:12 Cutter

Exactly. This is bound to be an action game with CRPG elements from the sounds of it. And they're trying to build a MOG around this to boot? That sounds whack to me. Anyway, I guess we'll see if they ever release some in-game footage of this thing. The fact they're supposedly half done and we have yet to even see a screenshot makes me think it does not bode well.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 15:19 Jerykk

Is your contention that they're not CRPGs related to the growing trend that you can't explore an open world as was the case in DAO and ME2?

The first requirement for a CRPG is that it be designed for the PC (thus fulfilling the "computer" part of CRPG). I highly doubt this game is being designed for PC. Secondly, the emphasis on "fluid" and "cinematic" combat suggests that the combat will rely on player skill more than character stats, which is counter-productive to roleplaying. The fact they chose to focus on this point in the press release suggests that combat is a key focus of the game, which likely means that other elements of CRPGs (like diplomacy and stealth routes) will not be as prevalent or even present.

Note that a game's genre qualifications do not affect its quality as a game. A game can be a crappy CRPG but still be a perfectly enjoyable game (like Mass Effect).

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2010, 15:26.

9. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 14:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

kxmode wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 14:09:

I take issue when you say games like this aren't CRPGs. I'm an old school RPG gamer and I consider Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age, KOTOR, Fallout 3 and so forth all very fun RPGs. Let's look at what all of these that I would consider a CRPG:

1. They all have moral choices you must make.
2. They all have NPCs who react to things you do in the game.
3. Your character in all of them grow in power and abilities.
4. Your character is designed by you.
5. They all have highly developed story and setting.
6. They all task your character with saving the world (or universe if you played Mass Effect).
7. With the exception of Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 they all featured large worlds to explore.

It's probably pointless to weigh in on the "What makes a RPG a RPG" argument part 983028932, but based on the very limited information given, this 38 Studios game sounds like it'll lean more towards Diablo 2/Titan Quest than Baldur's Gate 2/DA:O, or Drakensang. Just my guess. This could be great however, I love TQ as much as I love what I consider to be more Bioware style rpgs.

Aside from that, your points are a bit generic, for the sake of argument one could say something like CoD:MW2 is almost an rpg by those standards. The GTA series also, or for that matter Saint's Row also fit into those eight points.

I am personally way more interested in games these days that allow you full control of a party, ala BG2, than whether or not they have a 'full open world' or any of the other nonsense that seems to force developers to design games with 1 controllable character.

More party based RPGs(of all descriptions) please, Game Developers!

8. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 14:47 ASeven

Attention, CRPG=Computer RPG. Since I do play real RPGs, the pen and paper kind (NERD) and since I was talking about Salvatore in a RPG context I had to use CRPG as a distinction between RPGs and CRPGs.

Real RPGs allow for everything BTW, the imagination is the limit. The closest a CRPG ever come of that is WoW funnily enough because players have a chance to build their stories. But there's no CRPG out there that allows no restrictions nor railroads the story.

And now I've had my megaNEEEEEEEEEEERD moment of the day.

7. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 14:09 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 12:30:
This definitely won't be a CRPG, given that it's being developed for consoles too and they're emphasizing "fast-paced, graphically stimulating action combat experience with fluid control." It'll likely be an action/adventure game with RPG elements.

I take issue when you say games like this aren't CRPGs. I'm an old school RPG gamer and I consider Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age, KOTOR, Fallout 3 and so forth all very fun RPGs. Let's look at what all of these that I would consider a CRPG:

1. They all have moral choices you must make.
2. They all have NPCs who react to things you do in the game.
3. Your character in all of them grow in power and abilities.
4. Your character is designed by you.
5. They all have highly developed story and setting.
6. They all task your character with saving the world (or universe if you played Mass Effect).
7. With the exception of Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 they all featured large worlds to explore.
8. They all feature loot throughout the game world that can be collected.

Is your contention that they're not CRPGs related to the growing trend that you can't explore an open world as was the case in DAO and ME2?

6. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 12:53 ASeven

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 12:30:
This definitely won't be a CRPG, given that it's being developed for consoles too and they're emphasizing "fast-paced, graphically stimulating action combat experience with fluid control." It'll likely be an action/adventure game with RPG elements.

Yeah, missed that one. It may become a dumbed-down Diablo of sorts.

5. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 12:30 Jerykk

4. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 12:28 ASeven

RA Salvatore is a decent cheap-fantasy writer, and I mean decent only compared to other fantasy writers in the Forgotten Realms universe because the rest is awful. Still, it might translate well to a CRPG game, so I'll wait till I hear more details.  

3. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 11:53 space captain

announcements are great but im more interested in evidence.. apparently there is a cinematic to be released in 2 days  
Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 11:14 DanL

Expecting this game to suck. Coincidentally I work about 5 mins away from 38's office building.  

1. Re: Project Mercury is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Jul 20, 2010, 11:06 Verno

At least all of the secrecy was spent working on something worthwhile. Looking forward to checking this out in some previews.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo