Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Alien Swarm Release

Steam now offers the promised free release of an updated version of Alien Swarm, which includes the complete code base for the game. They say: "Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 22:39 Yifes

Aero wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 19:08:
That's a fun shooter. Good Stuff.

My first time, in the first mission, I was on the elevator and hit the 'G' key, thinking this was going to launch a grenade or something at all the critters climbing up the shaft, but as it turns out, that is the throw-your-gun-off-the-elevator button. Don't be quick to judge though, it's all just part of the grand strategy, you see.

Melee is fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 19:08 Aero

That's a fun shooter. Good Stuff.

My first time, in the first mission, I was on the elevator and hit the 'G' key, thinking this was going to launch a grenade or something at all the critters climbing up the shaft, but as it turns out, that is the throw-your-gun-off-the-elevator button. Don't be quick to judge though, it's all just part of the grand strategy, you see.

32. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 14:40 Krovven

Clicked Install about 5 times and it started to download at 1.2mb/sec. Like any good system, they have a limit on how many simultaneous requests can be processed, preventing throttling. Get over it.

If you find you have slow downloads, try changing your region.

31. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 10:43 Darks

Stop with the damn bitching already, change your fricking download region then maybe you will have better speeds. I used the Japan server and downloaded it at 1.2megs. was done in 20 mins.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

30. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 05:28 vacs

A day later, I'm still no able to update my servers (expecially install the new TF2 update) because of course, Steam servers are too busy.

Nice try Valve testing your capacity. Next time please allow again preloads, thx

29. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 03:47 rist3903

It is fun! Short, but this is to be expected considering it is free. I look forward to unlocking more of the weapons.  

28. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 02:50 starmonkey

KilrathiAce wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 21:20:
tony i am not complaining about the game, i am complaining about steam issues and how valve handles its releases that cause these problems.

As an aside, Internode here in Australia has a local steam mirror and I downloaded Alien Swarm at 1.8 megs/s - very nice

So it's not all bad - just find an ISP that mirrors steam for its customers!

(note: not affiliated with internode in any way, just happy with my steam experience)

27. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 20, 2010, 02:13 Mead

bigspender wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 23:29:
you're still complaining?
Welcome to Blue's News.

26. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 23:29 bigspender

you're still complaining?  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

25. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 21:20 KilrathiAce

tony i am not complaining about the game, i am complaining about steam issues and how valve handles its releases that cause these problems.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

24. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 20:53 Fion

What do you expect? It's free. It comes with an SDK and a very easy to use map maker. So there will be a tun of content soon.

Game is quite fun.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2010, 20:59.

23. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 20:12 ASeven

Bucky wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 20:05:
ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 19:25:
So, anyone has the game? How is it?

I just played for a few minutes in a public server to get a feel for the game and I had a blast. Runs smooth as silk, easy on the eyes and just, well, plays well. Gonna be on for a little while if anyone wants to play, just add me (see my sig).

I've heard the game is short and doesn't have many campaigns, however since the SDK was included I'm not worried, in no time a lot more campaigns and levels will show up. In fact I think this game is aimed at modders since people who have it are saying the game is really short, it's almost as if Valve is inviting people to create content for it.

22. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 20:08 Darks

Guys, use your damn heads, change the region your downloading from. I changed mine to Japan and pulled it down at 1.2Megs.

Bunch of damn whinners!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

21. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 20:05 Bucky

ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 19:25:

I just played for a few minutes in a public server to get a feel for the game and I had a blast. Runs smooth as silk, easy on the eyes and just, well, plays well. Gonna be on for a little while if anyone wants to play, just add me (see my sig).

20. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 19:55 Rhialto

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 17:53:
"Steam servers are too busy to handle your request. Try again later"

Same here and that happen now way to much after announcing updates and release... There was a time they was able to handle all the load, I was usually downloading at 900KB/s but now I must wait a few hours (this often mean the next day) to be able to complete an update and this suck when it happen on an evening when just when I sit in front of the computer to play.

19. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 19:47 Fion

There are 1.8 million people logged on to steam at the moment. And it seams to me that every last one of them is trying to install and play the game simultaneously.

I'm downloading it right now at about 1/5th the speed I normally get. So there are certainly a crazy number of people downloading it as well.

18. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 19:25 ASeven

17. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 19:24 Sacrifice

I was also having trouble downloading the game. I switched the download location in the options to a European country and it is downloading now, albeit at a slightly slower speed.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

16. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 19:24 Narf2029

I guess the people complaining have never heard the phrase "you get what you pay for." Complaints about immediate availability (and anything, for that matter) don't really matter if it's free and will continue to be free. I've got it downloading now after badgering Steam a bunch, but if you enjoyed Steam's last big sale as much as I did, you won't get around to playing it for a few days either. If you don't want to wait, don't. It'd be an entirely different and legitimate matter if you bought a Steam game with real money and couldn't get it to go right away, but I really have no sympathy when it's free for everyone.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

15. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 19:22 necrosis

KilrathiAce wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 18:08:
I have been begging valve on their forums for the game to have preload option for this game available, but Valve seem to have no idea how to plan ahead on their steam system.

First of all, they release this free game (2gb) at peak steam concurrent usage time(within 1 hour). Steam website has a graph showing daily concurrent usage stats, and if u look at past number of days you can see that the time this game was released is about the peak usage time every day.

Second, Valve did not offer preload option for this game which shows total disregard for their system load and for their users. Had they started to offer preload few days earlier at time when user load is lowest this would relieve a lot of bandwith load over time. Why? because less users would start to download instantly at preload due to the time it was put up and people normally don't rush to download something that you cannot play upon finishing.

Many people cannot start the download or their download is crawling because Valve failed to use common sense.
Stop bitching and set your client to DL from another region. Japan for instance.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo