Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow

Battle.net announces the StarCraft II beta test will end tomorrow to prepare for the release of the real-time strategy sequel next week. They offer thanks to participants, and outline the plan going forward: "In preparation for the launch of the game on Tuesday, July 27, the beta servers will be brought offline by Monday, July 19. At that time, all beta accounts and character information will be reset and the ability to create forum posts and comments on the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty website will be unavailable until launch. In the meantime, we still encourage everyone to stay tuned to the website for exciting news and updates regarding the upcoming release."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 11:16 DarkCntry

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 07:15:
Gee, I am glad that Blizzard sent me a beta key Friday night.

I thought it was a bit silly then to only have about eleven days of play, but silly me for thinking it would even last that long.
Does this series still have its fans outside of Korea?
Guessing I'll just call it a lazy demo code,
Ray

At least you got yours over the weekend, I got mine at exactly 5pm pacific on Sunday...

Figure that the download servers were being slow, it took 2 hours to get the install, took 45min to install, then about an hour again to patch (go, go slow patch servers!), it wasn't until about 1am before I could effectively get the game started up

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 10:46 InBlack

As much as Fearan sounds like a corporate shill (something that Blizzard hardly needs but...its ActiBlizz now) he is right about one thing.

Todays generation doesnt like much of a challenge. Challenge was always a problem with SC. People dont like to lose. But the fact of the matter is, and Ive heard this from the best players, if you can find out where you made your mistake and try and correct it in the next game you play that loss is actually a win in disguise.

When I started playing play SC on a regular basis on bnet I had a win loss ration of about 1 : 10. Thats one game won for every lost. It stayed that way for about 500-600 games, and then it started to average out....

Today that would be considered abysmal. I can imagine the crazed nerd rages and tantrums thrown....

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 09:36 Fearan

Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 09:12:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 16:59:
I have absolutely no interest in going online against someone who has nothing better to do than to memorize hot-key sequences and perfect opening moves to every map in the game.

This. I got into early invite beta and didn't play more than a few games before remembering that this was how SC ended up and why I wouldn't be playing SC2 MP.
People have to realize that Blizzard's ladder system is actually really good for this. For people who don't have time/skill/interest in learning all this, you will be playing against other people of the same level.

There are 5 leagues (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond) and you play against people of the same skill level, as determined by a system no one understands but it works very well. You will stay in bronze/silver as long as you want, and the people there don't have everything memorized.

I don't think the difficulty at higher levels should discourage anyone willing to take up a challenge. Although I think my generation really doesn't like challenges nowadays and this is why SCII might not be that popular, because it is something that requires work and isn't insta gratification like Halo where you're either good naturally or not.

33. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 09:12 Grumpy Sod

DangerDog wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 16:59:
I have absolutely no interest in going online against someone who has nothing better to do than to memorize hot-key sequences and perfect opening moves to every map in the game.

This. I got into early invite beta and didn't play more than a few games before remembering that this was how SC ended up and why I wouldn't be playing SC2 MP.

32. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 08:40 eunichron

Fearan wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 08:35:
Don't get me wrong, most gamers who don't enjoy long learning curves will hate this
That was the beauty with past Blizzard RTSes, a quote that was thrown a lot on the B.net forums back when SC/BW were released was, "Easy to learn, hard to master." SC2 looks like it is taking that one step further, making it slightly easier for new players to jump in, but the new units, maps, and features will make for a ton of varying strategies and tactics, most of which probably won't appear until months after release.

31. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 08:35 Fearan

I was around 12 when the original came out, and not mature enough to handle ladder play. With SCII I think anyone who enjoys having to think a bit will love SCII. The major difference with it and BW is that it's a lot more accessible for lower level players. With BW if you weren't a twitch-gamer capable of doing lots of things at once, you lost. With SCII, even if you're a bit slower, the mechanics are way easier and it's more decision oriented.

My gf who never played anything except Mario Galaxy loves it and we'll be picking up an extra copy for her. I think the Blizz magic in it is being able to show casual gamers what hardcore oriented gaming is. It won't redirect people who have 0 dedication to learning a skill and thought process to it, but for people who have the potential but never knew about it, SCII will take them in nicely.

Don't get me wrong, most gamers who don't enjoy long learning curves will hate this, but if you take a few hours to learn the basics & maybe play with a friend who knows something, you will come to love SCII. It's kind of like Chess in space.

I never played WoW but SCII brings forth emotions that no other game has in a long, long time... which I'm guessing is why so many people are addicted to WoW. During the beta downtime I wasn't able to play any other game, they're all so boring and layerless.

30. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 08:14 InBlack

Ray If you liked the original SC, you are going to like SC2 since its more of the same. Great (albeit cliched) story, typical Blizzard Oscar winning CGI clips, and oldskul gameplay.

So more of the same. I for one am getting this simply for the story, I doubt I still have the chops to play competitively online but Ill give that a whirl just to see this new mythical beast called Bnet 2.0

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 07:15 Ray Marden

Gee, I am glad that Blizzard sent me a beta key Friday night.

I thought it was a bit silly then to only have about eleven days of play, but silly me for thinking it would even last that long.
Does this series still have its fans outside of Korea?
Guessing I'll just call it a lazy demo code,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

28. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 04:23 raVen

spindoctor wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 19:28:
Fion wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 18:17:
I wouldn't doubt if Bnet 2.0 is exactly the same.

As much experience as Blizzard might have, and as much planning as they will do, a brand new system like BNET which is going to be hit with millions of users at the same time come launch day is most likely going to crack somewhere. It's the nature of complex systems like this, and it is nigh inevitable. What really matters is how long Blizzard takes to stabilize it after the shit hits the fan.

Except this has already been rolled out to WoW & SCII beta.
They are already using Bnet2.0 for authentication and communication in both. I don't expect many hiccups.

27. hmm Jul 19, 2010, 03:44 HellSlayer

Ya, I liked Dune 2000...

Btw awesome link---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201pgTaEseQ&feature=player_embedded

o0

26. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 00:46 Ant

Tom wrote on Jul 19, 2010, 00:33:
Dune 2 and Herzog Zwei. Ahhhh yeah.
Oh Dune 2000 and Emperor for Dune. They were OK, but enjoyable since I was a Dune fan.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 19, 2010, 00:33 Tom

Dune 2 and Herzog Zwei. Ahhhh yeah.  

24. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 23:21 Ant

Yifes wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 23:14:
I thought you were talking about old school war games like Steel Panthers. But yeah, the theme of Starcraft II isn't going to change. Still space marines with southern accents fighting swarms of zerg (and each other) while the Protoss tries desperately to save the universe.
I could never get into those old school war games. Oh I loved Dune 2 too!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

23. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 23:14 Yifes

Ant wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 23:05:
Yifes wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 22:56:
I wasn't a fan of Warcraft and SC games even for their single players. I am more of a military war games type of fan even if it is futuristic theme.

I don't see SCII's innovations taking it in that direction.

When I think of war games I think turn based tactical games. I don't see how C&C and even World in Conflict fit that bill.
C&C and WiC aren't turn based. They're RTS. I like military theme. I am not saying WC and SC are bad. It is just not a theme I care for. I do love Diablo and WoW though!

I thought you were talking about old school war games like Steel Panthers. But yeah, the theme of Starcraft II isn't going to change. Still space marines with southern accents fighting swarms of zerg (and each other) while the Protoss tries desperately to save the universe.

22. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 23:05 Ant

Yifes wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 22:56:
I wasn't a fan of Warcraft and SC games even for their single players. I am more of a military war games type of fan even if it is futuristic theme.

When I think of war games I think turn based tactical games. I don't see how C&C and even World in Conflict fit that bill.
C&C and WiC aren't turn based. They're RTS. I like military theme. I am not saying WC and SC are bad. It is just not a theme I care for. I do love Diablo and WoW though!

21. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 22:56 Kobalt

I thought the game is ok, but I never was big on having to build your base etc so I liked the recent warhammer 40k games more. What IS good though is the custom maps, I think I played battlecraft and nexus wars more than anything.

Problem though, unless there was some changes lately blizzard has a retardly small 10 meg limit on maps, and only allows accounts to host a few at a time. Sounds like in the end sc2 will be less modable then past blizzard games.

20. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 22:56 Yifes

19. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 22:47 Ant

Yifes wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 22:45:
I did play the beta from end of Februrary 2010. Did the game get a lot better since then? I am not a big Blizzard RTS fan. I only enjoyed World in Conflict, Command & Conquer (C&C) games (not Red Alert/RA 3 and C&C4), etc.

The beta's only the competitive multiplayer aspect of Starcraft. It's the part that's hardest to balance and needs the most testing. It doesn't really reflect on the rest of the game. Since you last played in February, the map editor's been released, and there's a lot of cool custom maps that cater to all types of players. I'd get the game just for the custom maps.

Also, from what I've seen of the campaign, I don't see how it's possible to not enjoy the single player if you like games like C&C and World in conflict. The campaign has some solid variety, and the in-between mission story telling mode is the best I've ever seen from a RTS.

18. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 22:45 Yifes

I did play the beta from end of Februrary 2010. Did the game get a lot better since then? I am not a big Blizzard RTS fan. I only enjoyed World in Conflict, Command & Conquer (C&C) games (not Red Alert/RA 3 and C&C4), etc.

The beta's only the competitive multiplayer aspect of Starcraft. It's the part that's hardest to balance and needs the most testing. It doesn't really reflect on the rest of the game. Since you last played in February, the map editor's been released, and there's a lot of cool custom maps that cater to all types of players. I'd get the game just for the custom maps.

Also, from what I've seen of the campaign, I don't see how it's possible to not enjoy the single player if you like games like C&C and World in conflict. The campaign has some solid variety, and the in-between mission story telling mode is the best I've ever seen from a RTS.

17. Re: StarCraft II Beta Ends Tomorrow Jul 18, 2010, 22:38 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 21:46:
Can someone go into detail about differences from the first game? I played the first one briefly and it was an ok game but I wasn't into it. This looks like the same game with updated graphics... what are the major differences? Units, maps, unit abilities, mini map, etc. Is this like counterstrike source where its basically the same thing with some upgraded bells and whistles?

I haven't played the beta or read *too* much about the game because I don't want to get bored with it before it even comes out. But from what I understand...

Some new units
Some new maps
3D terrain, so hills and such
Continuation of the SP story from a while back

From what I gather, it's close enough to the original while offering some new things.

-EDIT-

LOL. Yifes beat me to the punch by like 2 minutes. But at least he/she has better info.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo