Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Ruler Interview

An Interview with Blind Mind Studios on Game Squad talks with the folks behind Star Ruler, an upcoming science-fiction, 4X strategy game. They discuss the history of the project, various aspects of gameplay, comparisons with genre standouts Galactic Civilizations II, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Sword of the Stars, and more. The game is currently in closed beta testing, and a full release is expected on August 21, but they are still inviting players to signup to express interest in being invited into the beta.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Star Ruler Interview Jul 19, 2010, 09:04 Burrito of Peace

From the two (very small) Youtube videos that are in the "Media" section of the website, it appears that the game's design theme is scale, scale and more scale.

Which is rather disappointing. In a way, it reminds me of a line from the Borderlands behind-the-scenes videos where Claptrap says "You may have heard that we have like a million bajiliion guns..."

The one thing that GalCiv2, SoSE and SotS got right, and I think they actually got it from the Homeworld franchise, was that I could have multiple fleets but they were all damn important, representing a significant cost of investment in time and resources not to mention the secondary investments of technology and the time and resources that went in to researching them. That made me care about their placements, their dispositions and made me critically think about their best use.

Giving me a million bajillion ships spanning thousands of solar systems tells me that I am eventually going to end up playing Excel as the Galactic Bean Counter and Logistics Officer.

Also, after reading the interview, I was left very much with the impression that this was intended to be title that was be everything to everyone. We know how poorly those titles have turned out in the past. No part excels and the whole is, at best, frustratingly average.

I wish you the best of luck, however. Also, eRe4s3r, if anything this will give you valuable real world experience to put in a portfolio and on a resume.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Star Ruler Interview Jul 19, 2010, 04:42 eRe4s3r

Well i can't say anything about the gameplay (NDA) but i am texturing (not modeling) the first races spaceships for this game - so if you don't like em at all you can bash me ;p (And I also did the sub-system artwork so if you don't like that - bash me as well ,p))

If you look at my DA gallery you can see the space carrier (yes, posted with permission) Link -> http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com/art/Low-Poly-SpaceCarrier-Showcase-166103639

2. Re: Star Ruler Interview Jul 19, 2010, 04:31 AngryMax

Nate wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 20:41:
I wonder how fun this will be. The game's site doesn't convey show much of the actual gameplay.

If you liked the original, and still want to play it - you'll love this one.

1. Re: Star Ruler Interview Jul 18, 2010, 20:41 Nate

I wonder how fun this will be. The game's site doesn't convey show much of the actual gameplay.  

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo