Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Specs (Really)

Big Download contacted Blizzard, and coaxed them to give up the final system requirements for StarCraft II, not to be confused with the don't believe everything you read version of the specs release in January. The minimum and recommended specs for both PCs and Macs follows.

Minimum System Requirements*:

PC:

Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX 9.0c
2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT or ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card or better

Mac:
Mac OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer
Intel Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT or ATI Radeon X1600 or better

PC/Mac:
12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista/Windows 7 users, 2 GB for Mac users)
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution

*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

Recommended Specifications:

PC:

Windows Vista/Windows 7
Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better

Mac:
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
4 GB system RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or ATI Radeon HD 4670 or better

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 19:44 Mcboinkens

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 16, 2010, 07:29:
You have 2 options.

1) Crysis like settings with only 20 units on screen.

2) Less then Crysis like settings and hundreds of units on screen.

Like WoW, they went for a art style that may not bring your pc to it's knee's but you can have things like a sea of skeletons from Taren Mill to the Alliance's nearby town, and still have 100 people fighting on screen without framerate issues.

Or option 3) Upgrade your computer already and run "Crysis like settings" (whatever that means, Crysis is an FPS that came out in 2007, we're talking RTS here) and still have hundreds of units on screen.

Minimum requirements for people that don't have the time or money to upgrade is fine, but please allow people with higher end gaming systems to actually put them to use.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. removed Jul 16, 2010, 17:44 Donkey_Punch

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 16, 2010, 18:23.

12. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 11:31 kanniballl

Zyrxil wrote on Jul 16, 2010, 10:12:
"More fun" is incredibly vague. To plenty of people, having those features in of itself makes the game more strategic and thus more fun.

Exactly

When it's just eye candy I really don't care.

But if an real time strategy game gets benefits that boost either the strategy or tactic segment of the game... then I consider it more fun.

However I don't play RTS games anymore, so for all I know... nobody adds the features I listed below.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 10:12 Zyrxil

"More fun" is incredibly vague. To plenty of people, having those features in of itself makes the game more strategic and thus more fun.  

10. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 10:03 BobBob

I see your point but have you ever seen those features implemented where it makes the game more fun? If so, examples please.  

9. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 09:50 kanniballl

BobBob wrote on Jul 16, 2010, 05:45:
3D engines are horrible for RTS. When will they learn?

It depends.

3D engines make it easier to do 3D terrain and such which can add some nice abilities. True, you can mimic some 3D characteristics like mountains you cannot walk across (normally) with 2D tiles, but 3D does open up the options.

Taking the high-ground can actually mean something: increased range, better visibility, etc.

Do you go over the hill, which slows down your horizontal movement? Or go around and attack from a different point? Meanwhile if you take the hill, it actually *looks* like you're traveling up and down.

If the terrain is a little destructible, a crater can actually serve a purpose.

A lot of this can be replicated via 2D with various tricks, but it might look a little silly. Such as scaling a 2D sprite to make it look like it's higher than another or that it's climbing a hill.

3D engines let them take advantage of it easier.

That being said, I wish we had more 2D games. And I'd be totally fine with a sharp-looking 2D StarCraft 2. IE, StarCraft 1 @ higher res with new missions.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 09:13 Tumbler

Hmm Doesn't appear to be a lot of sales offered yet, Best buy offers a $10 gift card with purchase... Hopefully someone will get more aggressive and get the price down to $40 with a $10 gift card. I think I could live with that assuming it's a store I shop at for other things.

I think I'll add this to my goozex que and see what I get, only $1, I think I can risk it. Who knows maybe some crazy mofo will send me a brand new copy!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 07:29 The Half Elf

You have 2 options.

1) Crysis like settings with only 20 units on screen.

2) Less then Crysis like settings and hundreds of units on screen.

Like WoW, they went for a art style that may not bring your pc to it's knee's but you can have things like a sea of skeletons from Taren Mill to the Alliance's nearby town, and still have 100 people fighting on screen without framerate issues.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 05:45 BobBob

3D engines are horrible for RTS. When will they learn?  

5. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 05:10 slaka

Dev wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 23:18:
Grokk wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 22:44:
I'd like to see Blizzard release a game that actually required a PC from this century. They make some awesome games, but the lower common denominator they work towards really bugs me.

More polys, bigger textures... give me eye candy dammit!
I'm thinking diablo 3 will be more demanding

Sure, if it was released this year, but come 2012... or even 2013, not so much.

4. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 03:00 Ahnteis

I don't care so much about their low requirements, but it WOULD be nice if they had higher "HIGH" settings that could take advantage of newer hardware.  

3. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 16, 2010, 02:03 Mashiki Amiketo

I'd like to see Blizzard release a game that actually required a PC from this century.
The reason why blizz stuff is so popular, is because it doesn't require top of the line hardware to run it. A computer made in the last 5yrs is just fine.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 15, 2010, 23:18 Dev

I'd like to see Blizzard release a game that actually required a PC from this century. They make some awesome games, but the lower common denominator they work towards really bugs me.

I'm thinking diablo 3 will be more demanding

1. Re: StarCraft II Specs (Really) Jul 15, 2010, 22:44 Grokk

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo