Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Pre-Downloads

The Battle.net Web Beta is now offering the opportunity to pre-download the digitally distributed edition of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, provided you plan to purchase the game directly from Blizzard, warning: "If you are planning to buy a boxed copy from a retail store, this is not for you!" This will allow players to begin playing more quickly when the game goes on sale on July 27. Blizzard has previously stated that digital distribution would come after the real-time strategy sequel appeared in stores, but it turns out they were splitting hairs, saying: "Theyíll go on sale slightly later, on 07/27/2010 10:00 AM PDT in North America and Latin America." Thanks IncGamers.

View
109 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

29. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 15:07 Luke

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 14:08:
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Falls alarm plz adjust your tinfoil hat !

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 14:31 Verno

Bandwidth is cheap in the bulk that Blizzard uses it so it's pretty much all profit for them there, aside from support related staff.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

27. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 14:20 Kxmode

Other than the bandwidth costs they're making more profit from digital purchases.  

26. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 14:19 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 13:03:
Beta didn't impress me at all, I can't remember the last time such a big name title failed to grab me.

What about Doom 3?

I was the opposite of impressed, it was an "alright" shooter but felt pretty average.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 14:19 VoodooV

I'm not a RTS fan, but I'll definitely get this just for the single player. I'll be waiting for it to be sub $30 though.

No $60 dollar purchases for me.

24. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 14:15 Tumbler

SP all online all the time

Incorrect. Yet again.

Meh, don't use my comments to decide if you, or anyone wants, to buy this game. I've given up trying to keep track of what is an is not in this game and I'll look at it after launch.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

23. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 14:08 Mr. Tact

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 14:03 Luke

soz no money from here faceblizz  

21. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 13:29 Verno

MattyC wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 13:26:

What you added at the end there isn't the same thing as "SP all online all the time".

I'm not the initial poster who claimed that, I know they are allowing offline hashing after an initial activation. It's even in the post you quoted. I was posting the correct information since nin didn't bother to.

20. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 13:26 MattyC

Verno wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 13:20:
nin wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 13:06:

Incorrect. Yet again.

Post something useful then. If he's incorrect, correct him. Your sig is bigger than your waste of time posts.

-- To play SCIIís single player game will require a registered Battle.net account, and a one-off online activation. --

What you added at the end there isn't the same thing as "SP all online all the time". I thought you just said you played the beta? If so you should know that while it isn't 100% functional yet, the offline mode options do show up and they have said it will have an offline mode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1627432/bnetdown.jpg

You should already know this if you are in the beta.

19. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 13:20 Verno

nin wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 13:06:

Incorrect. Yet again.

Post something useful then. If he's incorrect, correct him. Your sig is bigger than your waste of time posts.

-- To play SCIIís single player game will require a registered Battle.net account, and a one-off online activation. --

18. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 13:06 nin

Incorrect. Yet again.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 13:03 Verno

Beta didn't impress me at all, I can't remember the last time such a big name title failed to grab me. I'll pick it up in a year or two for cheap, mainly for the custom content. Very disappointed with the new direction that Blizzard is going in, I hope Diablo 3 turns out better.  

16. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 12:58 Tumbler

I'm going to wait until a few weeks after launch to decide on buying this game unless it's offered on sale for $29.99. From everything I've read about this game I'm feeling that either they need to heavily discount it or I need to hear people playing it explaining why all this online BS is worth $50 of $60...LOL. (SP all online all the time, real ID needed to use many features online to play?, etc., at this point I want proof that this game isn't going to be tied down with a bunch of bloatware on the back end)  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 12:28 FloorPie

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 11:46:
The only thing high sales will tell other developers is that you can still earn loads of money with recycled non innovative gameplay as long as you build enough hype and balance for competitive online that only 5% of all buyers will ever touch. And only 1% of all buyers will play after the first month.

When i look at the vids i too see nothing but a classic rts - though the campaign might be interesting at least story and mission wise.

But the real killer is that it has no anti-cheat whatsoever - the beta already has maphacks - (worker) automation scripts etc.

Ouch, cheats already? Yeah, the lack of lan or direct IP play options really kills it for me. I had so many connection issues playing with friends back in the SC/D2 days, it was often far easier to avoid bnet and many of us didn't play on bnet unless no one was around.

The beta was nice but I wasn't overwhelmed. Toss in the realID stuff, no lan/IP, possibly having to be signed into bnet all the time even if single player (all for achievements!) and I'm just not that interested.

14. Re: $60? Um, no! Jul 15, 2010, 12:25 elefunk

TangledThorns wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 11:40:
I refuse to pay $60 for a PC game. They... can... go... fuck themselves.
I hope you didn't buy Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3 at MSRP brand new

13. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 12:09 kanniballl

siapnar wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 11:49:
I'd play the SC2 single played game just to see the gorgeous cutscenes.

Starcraft never really grabbed me like it did everyone else. Surprisingly though, I can't wait for a proper Warcraft RTS sequel.

I enjoyed the single-player campaign a lot. Then again I also enjoyed the SP campaigns of the C&C games from around that period as well.

My largest enjoyment was while playing over the campus LAN. It was great knowing that I was playing against people I actually knew from the dorm or my classes.

When I finished college I tried to do the whole BattleNet thing, but it just wasn't as fun.

I'll get it near or at release, but I'm not expecting it to be a life-changing experience or anything.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 11:49 siapnar

I'd play the SC2 single played game just to see the gorgeous cutscenes.

Starcraft never really grabbed me like it did everyone else. Surprisingly though, I can't wait for a proper Warcraft RTS sequel.

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

11. Re: StarCraft II Pre-Downloads Jul 15, 2010, 11:46 eRe4s3r

The only thing high sales will tell other developers is that you can still earn loads of money with recycled non innovative gameplay as long as you build enough hype and balance for competitive online that only 5% of all buyers will ever touch. And only 1% of all buyers will play after the first month.

When i look at the vids i too see nothing but a classic rts - though the campaign might be interesting at least story and mission wise.

To be honest - After Company of Heroes - Dawn of War 2 - World in Conflict, SC2 also LOOKS incredible boring and bland (graphically, that is). It has nothing like the extremely fancy kill moves of DoW2 or the supreme impressive artillery barrages of Company of Heroes (which for the first time in any RTS ever actually created craters and dissolved the battlefield physical correct)

And it also seems to have an extremely bland unit AI with broken Pathfinding that can't form a coherent squad nor engage their "preferred" targets without microing.. Just like in WC3 - and thats based directly on the latest Beta with full AI unlocked.

But the real killer is that it has no anti-cheat whatsoever - the beta already has maphacks - (worker) automation scripts etc.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2010, 11:54.

10. Re: $60? Um, no! Jul 15, 2010, 11:41 nin

I refuse to pay $60 for a PC game.

blah blah same MSRP as previous blizzard games...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

109 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo