Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare: Console is "the Past"

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a detailed write-up of BioWare cofounder Dr. Greg Zeschuk's Develop Keynote, mentioned earlier. They delve into what he conveyed about how BioWare does what it does. There is also mention of this address on PC Gamer, where they highlight a pertinent quote: "The future isnít necessarily on console. Thatís the past."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 21:29 Eldaron Imotholin

Saying that the future of gaming is on mobile phones is hilarious at best. From whoever's mouth it came first.

Sure, I enjoy playing Angry Birds while in the train for example. But will I ever think about playing that game on my iPhone while sitting behind my PC? Of course not. It will take a damn long time once games like Mass Effect 2 or Crysis can be run on a mobile phone. Besides, even if there were those futuristic gadgets out there already I wouldn't care because the controls will be even worse than on consoles, which makes the games even worse than on consoles.

Trust me, when people are on their couch or at their PC.. they don't want the stuff that's on the gadget. Not now. Not ever.

Whoever started this nonsense is one of those people that runs around shouting nonsense while rallying the masses stupid enough to shout along, just to get a kick out of it. Next week it's the music that will be replaced by auto-generated lyric VOs.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2010, 21:59.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 19:32 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 16:06:
What's the main defense people here have about PC gaming? "Milions of people already own PCs!" But the counter to that is that millions don't own PCs that are capable of gaming.

But they do. As others have been saying in this thread, PC games aren't as taxing as they once were. And if it is playable on a cellphone it is certainly playable on the vast majority of PCs.

You're not wrong in your sentiment though, I agree that the future of gaming is neither on the PC nor the console. It is most definetly on portable devices, which are essentially PCs themselves. I just hope we go with the Google "do what you want" route instead of the Apple/Activision "we'll decided what's best for you" route.

13. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 16:06 Beamer

No, but mobile gaming in a device everyone already owns is.

What's the main defense people here have about PC gaming? "Milions of people already own PCs!" But the counter to that is that millions don't own PCs that are capable of gaming.

Well, millions own cellphones capable of gaming, and that's growing every day. The capabilities of the iPhone and Droid X far outdo what a GameBoy can, and it won't be long until the catch up to consoles. Granted it's easier for them to display something similar as they're 840x480 or some such, but they're catching up. And, unlike consoles or gameboys, everyone has them, anyway.

Will it end up becoming like PCs, where only a limited few are truly capable of gaming? I think so. Honestly, how much faster can these things get? They're outpacing what cell service can handle, and their power is wasted on most of their applications.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: BioWare: Console is "the Past" Jul 15, 2010, 13:26 Verno

Mobile gaming isn't exactly a new phenomenon so I have no idea what you think is the earth shattering deal here. The massive success of the Game Boy, Nintendo DS and PSP did not "shift" the console market. The hardcore console market will exist until a generational age shift happens or the market dries up due to unforeseeable issues usually related to other economical factors.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

11. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 10:50 Beamer

He definitely meant new devices.

Where is unity making most of their money? iPhone.
Where is Unreal moving? iPhone.
Which platform is likely seeing the most new games each day? iPhone.

Yeah, they're mostly shallow games now. That might change.
Yeah, it's a tiny screen, but new Android phones have HDMI-out.
Yeah, control is a bitch and it's one-player, but someone will make bluetooth controllers.
Yeah, there's yet to be a standard, but someone will start putting the pieces together.
Yeah, it's the wild west and no one knows what to code for hardware wise and no end-user has a clue what's in their phone, but that's starting to change. There are high end devices and low end devices, just like with PCs, and manufacturers are becoming more open about the exact hardware specs as consumers become more knowledgeable about such things.

Would I bet the farm on all this? God no.
But it isn't hard to imagine the pieces falling into place and serious gaming coming to mobile devices.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: BioWare: Console is "the Past" Jul 15, 2010, 10:41 Creston

Somehow I doubt he's saying "we're focusing on the PC now."

It's more likely that EA has their own onLive\gaikai planned, and soon that'll be the only way you can play Bioware's games.

They dumb every single one of their games down to the lowest common denominator (ie, consolize it), yet somehow that means they're focusing on the PC? I really don't think so.

Creston

9. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 10:27 Steele Johnson

Yes, but most people who buy pc's don't buy them with the power to run most triple A games. So the future of games is even worse without consoles because the focus will be on social network games via web browser. There you go. All the console haters will have somethings else to bash in the near future.  

8. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 09:32 Stolk

Nucas wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 01:18:
the pc hardware cycle is now indelibly tied to the console life cycle. we won't see any real jumps in graphics until the next console generation. this is fact, not conjecture.

Which is great. I was just thinking the other day my system is going on 3 years since I assembled it and I can still run current games fine, most recently Singularity. Not to many years ago I had to upgrade every 2 years to play current games at reasonable speeds.

7. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 07:57 loomy

by the time anyone is interested in building a new console, everyone will have tablets and phones with graphics that look like CURRENT consoles.

now which do you think the developers will make their games for? the devices everyone has, or the nerd box? this is what dr. greg means.

6. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 07:28 necrosis

tskiller wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 22:15:
Whatever bioware, the more I learn about Dragon Age 2 the more console centric your design choices become.
This

5. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 02:10 StingingVelvet

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 00:22:
I think the title of this news post is a little misleading.

I don't believe he meant "Consoles are the past," but rather, "in the past, we saw the future as on consoles." Consoles are still a major player, but they're really just a casual gamer's pathway into the hobby. There is more staying power on PC, since that's where all the advancements are made, and, in fact, that is where the games are made.

I think he was referring to PC games, online games, iPhone games, casual games, episodic games, indie games and whatever else. I don't think he was kissing the PC on the cheek as lovingly as PC Gamer hints, but I do think the PC is a key platform in a lot of these new revenue streams, the MMO being a key example.

4. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 01:18 Nucas

Razumen wrote on Jul 15, 2010, 01:09:
And well, lets face it, if you buy a console, you kind of are stuck in the past, because there is no serious way to upgrade its performance.
irrelevant, since major pc titles are co-developed with consoles in mind anyway (if they aren't just ports themselves). the limitations of consoles have ensured my gtx 260 has had more than enough muscle to run anything maxed out for like 2 years.

the pc hardware cycle is now indelibly tied to the console life cycle. we won't see any real jumps in graphics until the next console generation. this is fact, not conjecture.

3. Re: BioWare: Console is Jul 15, 2010, 01:09 Razumen

Consoles exist in their current state mainly due to PCs, I doubt the current generation of consoles would have been as advanced as they are now if there wasn't the huge push and demand for rapidly improving 3D graphics on computers that there was back then and still is now.

And well, lets face it, if you buy a console, you kind of are stuck in the past, because there is no serious way to upgrade its performance.

2. Re: BioWare: Console is "the Past" Jul 15, 2010, 00:22 ForgedReality

I think the title of this news post is a little misleading.

I don't believe he meant "Consoles are the past," but rather, "in the past, we saw the future as on consoles." Consoles are still a major player, but they're really just a casual gamer's pathway into the hobby. There is more staying power on PC, since that's where all the advancements are made, and, in fact, that is where the games are made.

1. Re: BioWare: Console is "the Past" Jul 14, 2010, 22:15 tskiller

Whatever bioware, the more I learn about Dragon Age 2 the more console centric your design choices become.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo