Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer

A new trailer from ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead shows off the just-released standalone shooter expansion from Bohemia Interactive Studios. The new clip is from the tutorial for the High Command system, described as a "lesser-known" feature of the game. Word is: "The walkthrough provides a sneak peek at the tutorial available in-game and demonstrates the simplicity of commanding larger groups of units; issuing direct orders, setting waypoints and conditions, and assigning the behaviour of groups of units. Getting to grips with the simple command interface is important, and doing so reveals an entirely distinct type of gameplay experience. High Command is a powerful tool, which puts you in dynamic control of the entire battlefield situation in a real time strategy viewpoint - with as much, or as little control, as you like." The embedded version of the clip follows.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 16, 2010, 01:48 Drayth

I'm a huge fan of this series, and even -I'm- wondering what he's smoking....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 15, 2010, 11:47 siapnar

I'm sure his $500 rig can run it at max details, 1900x1200 resolution no problem... apart from the frames-per-second count being in the negatives.  

I have projectile dysfunction.

20. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 15, 2010, 06:06 eRe4s3r

Care to detail your $500 rig that supposedly runs this on max details at 1920x1200 ? ;p We want to have some laughs.  

19. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 15, 2010, 03:28 Muscular Beaver

LittleMe wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 15:26:
How much does Bohemia Interactive pay you to constantly plug their games?

Yeah lol. To anyone considering buying Any of the ARMA games... Make sure it's what you really want before you buy it. Try before you buy. The ARMA series is really designed for the most hardcore "simulation" aficionados and requires a lot of patience and a high-end computer. Buyer beware.

You just cant stop trolling about ArmA, even though people demasked your ignorance several times, huh?

Anyway, if possible, you should try every game out ther ebefore buying.

This game doesnt need a high end computer. My $500 rig can run it at max settings wonderfully.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

18. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 15, 2010, 00:44 Hoop

Surf wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 22:12:
Much to your dismay I had Arma 2 (thank bit Torrent!) 2 weeks before the US got it. I played it for a solid week and some online with folks and we all agreed that

"Soldier... 2.... o'clock"

Was fucking GAY and that the engine SUCKED and that there were 50,000 key commands from shooting your gun to picking your ass.

The game, as a game, sucks. As a simulator it also blows.

I have to applaud you for knowing the soldier @ 2 o'clock was gay.

What gave him away?
Was it his demeanor?
The way he held his weapon?... if you know what I mean.
His walk?
The way he mixed & matched his uniform?...matching balaclava & ammo belt.

Um .. Behind you...

17. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 23:27 Joss

This sim is not about controlling AI; that's single-player noob shit. Get on-line with the rest of us and get some experience leading a Fire Team during combat.

And if you can't make it past configuring your keys then yeah, this is definitely not your cup of tea.

16. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 22:12 Surf

Much to your dismay I had Arma 2 (thank bit Torrent!) 2 weeks before the US got it. I played it for a solid week and some online with folks and we all agreed that

"Soldier... 2.... o'clock"

Was fucking GAY and that the engine SUCKED and that there were 50,000 key commands from shooting your gun to picking your ass.

The game, as a game, sucks. As a simulator it also blows.

15. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 20:39 tuddies

Imagine if they used euphoria and some other middleware? It would be fantastic, but that's not going to happen. You can see how hard it is to make a game like this by playing Dragon Rising. With all of those resources to draw on you got a watered down arcade shooter with not much variety in anything - weapons, vehicles, landscape or missions.

I hope that Dragon Rising keeps going. I don't knock it for trying and I hope that one day someone will make a sim that makes ARMA2 look like crap. But it hasn't happened yet, and there are no released in the pipeline that have been announced. No other game simulates running around in this huge battlespace better than ARMA, and I love the FPS camera work and HDR blindness and the organic way each game plays out differently.

So BIS will focus on Carrier Command for the time being and perhaps if they continue the ARMA franchise we will see more improvement.

14. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 19:19 kylania

Surf wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 18:26:
I am sure the 10,000 of you worldwide will really enjoy this game. The billions of others despise it.

They even use the CTRL key to set multiple way points when all other games use SHIFT.

What an utter PIECE OF SHIT!

Your intellect and keen perception is truly dizzying! It's a shame we'll never get the chance to fly over Takistan together because of a key mapping choice, though I'm sure you'd drop into a seizure and your Tourettes would act up should that helicopter ride take more than 10 seconds. All the same, I'm sorry you won't be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of a great simulator. I'd tell you to enjoy MW2, but I'm sure that by now I've used up your understandable word count for the day, so you'd never see the message.

13. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 18:56 Grendle

kylania wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 14:50:
Grendle wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 14:37:
Are you talking about joint ops by novalogic?

Combined Operations is a $10-more package deal with ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead in one box.
Sorry, I thought that joint ops was combined operations, not combined arms.

12. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 18:34 DangerDog

You're all just not Hardcore enough for this franchise.

Grouphug

11. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 18:26 Surf

I am sure the 10,000 of you worldwide will really enjoy this game. The billions of others despise it.

They even use the CTRL key to set multiple way points when all other games use SHIFT.

What an utter PIECE OF SHIT!

10. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 17:20 LittleMe

What flavor oatmeal? Instant?  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

9. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 16:07 Techie714

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 15:00:
Just picked up the Combined operations & I'm loving it! The first game had a lot of bugs but this new one is rock solid & a ton of FUN!

I get 2.00 for every website I plug it on.....Hey it pays for the Oatmeal times are tough in the U.S... /S

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 15:59 LittleMe

SirKnight wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 15:31:
I try to like this game b/c I want realism, but I just can't. Everything is implemented so damn poorly and amateurish. The performance should not be as bad as it is for what's being drawn and what's going on. The HDR implementation is the worst I've seen. The gameplay is very fragile, awkward and just wonky. The AI is about as dumb as it gets. The animation is laughable. The only models that look good are weapons and military vehicles. All other models just look strange. No physics. An interface that is really clunky. Sure there's a lot of interaction to deal with, but the interface could be a lot better than it is. It's just not intuitive at all.

Unfortunately, they can't really fix any of this b/c the brain dead die-hards would complain since they're so used to it I guess and it would break backwards compatibility which seems so important to the die-hards. Their engine is just plan crap in every way. They really should replace it with something proven to be robust and cross-platform. The scripting language they came up with has the most bizarre syntax there is. Doing any kind of precise mission creating is a huge pain as well.

It's just too bad BIS is the only one willing to make a game like this. The thing is, they're going for a hard core sim, yet most things are NOT realistic at all. It's quite strange.

That is exactly my experience with the game. Well said, thanks. I want to like the game but can't. I tried. I had hopes that they would improve the flaws you note from ArmA1, so much that I was anticipating A2's release for maybe a year.

It's revealing to hear your insights about the scripting language. That seems consistent with the overall experience.

7. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 15:32 tuddies

Probably nothing - their games speak for themselves. ArmA2 has no peer. Dragon Rising is the BF2 of military games, only slightly less arcady than BF2 and COD.

This virtual sandbox has unlimited gameplay options...

6. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 15:31 SirKnight

I try to like this game b/c I want realism, but I just can't. Everything is implemented so damn poorly and amateurish. The performance should not be as bad as it is for what's being drawn and what's going on. The HDR implementation is the worst I've seen. The gameplay is very fragile, awkward and just wonky. The AI is about as dumb as it gets. The animation is laughable. The only models that look good are weapons and military vehicles. All other models just look strange. No physics. An interface that is really clunky. Sure there's a lot of interaction to deal with, but the interface could be a lot better than it is. It's just not intuitive at all.

Unfortunately, they can't really fix any of this b/c the brain dead die-hards would complain since they're so used to it I guess and it would break backwards compatibility which seems so important to the die-hards. Their engine is just plan crap in every way. They really should replace it with something proven to be robust and cross-platform. The scripting language they came up with has the most bizarre syntax there is. Doing any kind of precise mission creating is a huge pain as well.

It's just too bad BIS is the only one willing to make a game like this. The thing is, they're going for a hard core sim, yet most things are NOT realistic at all. It's quite strange.

5. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 15:26 LittleMe

Yeah lol. To anyone considering buying Any of the ARMA games... Make sure it's what you really want before you buy it. Try before you buy. The ARMA series is really designed for the most hardcore "simulation" aficionados and requires a lot of patience and a high-end computer. Buyer beware.

4. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 15:00 Elf Shot The Food

Just picked up the Combined operations & I'm loving it! The first game had a lot of bugs but this new one is rock solid & a ton of FUN!

3. Re: ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer Jul 14, 2010, 14:50 kylania

Grendle wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 14:37:
Are you talking about joint ops by novalogic?

Combined Operations is a $10-more package deal with ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead in one box.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo