Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs

Eurogamer.net has word from a keynote address by BioWare cofounder Dr. Greg Zeschuk from the now-underway Develop Conference, revealing more of their MMOG plans. He says that in addition to their full scale MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare is also exploring smaller projects: "Every year it's a little bit down. You can't blame the economy anymore. Really, it's about online. We're obviously working on Star Wars: The Old Republic, a big MMO. But we're working on smaller MMO type game games across the group - things all over the space," he says. "We explored lots of different kinds of games. We did some Facebook stuff. We did an iPhone game for Mass Effect. It wasn’t the best one – people point that out to us. We learned the hard way. The learning there was you have to iterate. The team went back and made some more games that we never released that were way better. Large scale MMOs. Small scale MMOs. We're going to continue to do triple-A console, but we're also going to be exploring pretty aggressively." Computer and Video Games highlights another comment by Zeschuk, who says they are "obsessed" with review scores, saying: "We're really driven by our commitment to quality in that way."

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 21:55 Eldaron Imotholin

CythrawL wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 21:46:
Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 21:26:
This is because Bioware has solely been in it for the money for some time now. Let it go, fellas. The Bioware you knew and loved is dead, Jim, dead.

Name one Dev house that WASN'T in it for the money??? That are still around now???....

Why do you go to work every day? Surely not for the money??

Yup. You're right.

I wasn't complaining about what BioWare has delivered so far. I think it's all fucking marvelous. Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2.. I think it's because of those two games I haven't given up on this hobby yet. Because the rest out there is utter freaking crap!

It's just this news that bugs me allot. I hope BioWare still values their community > worthless reviews.

Fyi: In this context every review is worthless because the reviewers tend to write nought but their (often biased) opinions down in a sea of crackwhore moaning, while just stating what the game has to offer would be absolutely enough.

Obsessed by review scores. *scoffs* A review shouldn't even have a score if you ask me.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 21:46 CythrawL

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 21:26:
This is because Bioware has solely been in it for the money for some time now. Let it go, fellas. The Bioware you knew and loved is dead, Jim, dead.

Name one Dev house that WASN'T in it for the money??? That are still around now???....

Why do you go to work every day? Surely not for the money??

25. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 21:44 CythrawL

Yakubs wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 16:01:
Obsessed with review scores? I.e., the "critiques" written by twenty-five year olds of dubious intelligence and no education or training? Are these "journalists" truly driving the gaming industry? And driven by their commitment to quality? Since when do review scores correlate to quality?

Since the VERY early days... I remember in the UK if a game tanked on the scores in ZZapp64 and CRASH magazine, it didnt sell well. If they all gave it the thumbs up, then it sold VERY well.. I mean this was back in the 80's... Where have you all been???

24. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 21:26 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 20:45 Stormsinger

Boys, I think we have a spy in our midst. What the hell is this "other hobbies" stuff?

Blasphemer! Infidel! Someone get a rope!

Kajetan wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:29:
Maybe, maybe not. Only thing i know, that i dont care anymore what gaming companies want. If they make games i like, ok. If not, i have other hobbies to spend time with

22. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 19:40 Eldaron Imotholin

Yakubs wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 16:01:
Obsessed with review scores? I.e., the "critiques" written by twenty-five year olds of dubious intelligence and no education or training? Are these "journalists" truly driving the gaming industry? And driven by their commitment to quality? Since when do review scores correlate to quality?

Indeed. How incredibly pathetic to be obsessed about reviewers and their mainstream kid standards!? There's only so many reviews online, with 95% of them being written by know-nothings, and one review is based on the opinion of just one -- often biased! -- person.

It's even dumber that BioWare, right about the most succesfull developer out there, doesn't look back at what made them great and continue to act that way.

I don't like this news at all. *Ugh* It looks really bad.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

21. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 19:37 Sepharo

kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 17:23:
NicklePop wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 15:49:
zadokallen wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 14:44:
"Dr. Greg Zeschuk"
Why should I care about you being a doctor? When was the last time you practiced mate?

Vain #@#$!%^&*...

Meh, if I could put "Dr." in front of my name I would.

That never stopped another developer. It was a smart decision.
I see what you did there...

And I never use that phrase.
Except for right just then.
And no, it's not because I rarely catch what they did there.
I see what they've done there all the time!

20. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 19:06 ColoradoHoudini

Bhruic wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:12:
Almost sounds like they don't know what the first M stands for...

exactly what i was thinking..
not so "massive" it?

19. Re: BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs Jul 14, 2010, 18:42 saluk

Ugh. Review based designing. No wonder bioware games have lost vision... This is the same thing that killed Deus Ex by the way. Too much focus on what was wrong, not enough focus on what was right. It's also why so many summer blockbusters are terrible. An obsession with making it palatable for the largest audience, means the least possibility to make any kind of real impact to anybody.  

18. Re: BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs Jul 14, 2010, 18:24 Silicon Avatar

I'd like a NWN style game set in the Mass Effect universe.  

17. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 17:55 Talisorn

Now if only they'd do a NWN3. The kind that addresses all the issues where Obsidian failed ... and keep forstering the modding and small community groups setting up their own MMO-like campaigns was what kept the game running so long.

If THAT'S what they mean by small scale MMO ... BRING IT ON!

16. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 17:29 creatorswhim

Maybe "small scale" means "we won't have 40 hours of dialogue selection scenes for you to sit through."

If so, I approve.

15. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 17:23 Kxmode

NicklePop wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 15:49:
"Dr. Greg Zeschuk"
Why should I care about you being a doctor? When was the last time you practiced mate?

Vain #@#$!%^&*...

That never stopped another developer. It was a smart decision.

14. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 17:13 DDI

Guh no kidding, juvenile reviews are what caused some of the stupid design changes between Mass Effect 1 & 2 and what are possibly causing the same stupid design changes in DA2.  

13. Re: BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs Jul 14, 2010, 16:01 Yakubs

12. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 15:49 NicklePop

"Dr. Greg Zeschuk"

Vain #@#$!%^&*...

Does he lord it over people is the question.

11. Re: BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs Jul 14, 2010, 14:44 zadokallen

"Dr. Greg Zeschuk"

Vain #@#$!%^&*...

10. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 13:46 Kxmode

CythrawL wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 13:43:
Ummm... why was this glaringly missed out on the said keynote:

Bioware’s co-founder, Dr. Greg Zeschuk, dropped this somewhat incendiary quote during his keynote at Develop: “The future isn’t necessarily on console. That’s the past.” - Source PC Gamer..

Eurogamer scared of the Console backlash?

Really? Well, that's something else then!

9. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 13:43 CythrawL

Ummm... why was this glaringly missed out on the said keynote:

Bioware’s co-founder, Dr. Greg Zeschuk, dropped this somewhat incendiary quote during his keynote at Develop: “The future isn’t necessarily on console. That’s the past.” - Source PC Gamer..

Eurogamer scared of the Console backlash?

kxmode, you have nothing to worry about.

8. Re: BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs Jul 14, 2010, 13:38 Creston

As long as they keep making cool single player games, I don't care whatever small MMOGs they push out.

Creston

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo