Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick

The Tim Schafer Interview on Eurogamer chats with the CEO of Double Fine Productions about what they are up to, along with some personal questions about his favorite yada yadas of all time. A couple of game-related topics are how the lawsuits over Brutal Legend occupied some of his valuable time, but in the end didn't impact the game, and his desire to do a Psychonauts sequel, of which he says: "Psychonauts was the first thing I made that I actually owned. That and Brutal Legend. So it's the first thing I could do a sequel to. The trick would be convincing a publisher it's been out there long enough, that it's had enough time to get around. People ask me for it all the time." There's also a sensationalist aspect to the conversation, as they ask him about Activision, and his reply, highlighted in a separate post, goes after Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, and does not mince words: "His obligation is to his shareholders," Schafer said. "Well, he doesn't have to be as much of a dick about it, does he? I think there is a way he can do it without being a total prick. It seems like it would be possible. It's not something he's interested in." He goes on to criticize Kotick's attitude as being that of a "widget-maker," saying "I don't think he's great for the industry, overall," and expressing hopes that he will: "go to an industry that makes more money. Ball bearings… something that suits his passions more. Weapons manufacturing?"

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 21:36 Dev

siapnar wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:37:
ASeven wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:18:
Grim Fandango still rules.

Hell yea, although I've had problems trying to get it to run on new computers. I really want to go through it again
MattyC wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 17:42:
Same. I would love an updated (Just in the sense that it works on Win 7 64 etc) version to come out on GoG or Steam.

I googled up grim fandango and windows:
http://www.grim-fandango.com/downloads.php
That was first hit, did you check it out? seems like there's some fixes for modern windows there
Also this page has some info on getting it to run on modern systems:
http://www.grim-fandango.com/compatibility.php

Looks like there's already some stuff so that it installs and runs on modern systems with a modern OS.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2010, 21:42.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 19:35 Golwar

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 18:59:
The irony of that statement coming from someone who proudly proclaims that he steals games is too funny.

Tim Schafer steals games? oO
--> Learn to quote, than you don't risk misinterpretations.

35. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 18:59 Parallax Abstraction

The irony of that statement coming from someone who proudly proclaims that he steals games is too funny.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

34. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 18:11 Golwar

Well Brütal Legends was really one of his weaker games. Too short, mixed quality in game design. But characters and story are as loveable as always with Tim Schafer (it actually hurts me to drop the ä in Schäfer).

And of course: great interview Tim.

33. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 17:51 peteham

Krovven wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 16:17:
While I applaud Tim for standing up to Kotick...if I was Kotick I would have dropped Brutal Legend too.

Picked the game up for $20 awhile back and just got around to playing it this past weekend. The game sucks. Reminds me a lot of Sacrifice...but not even close to being as good.

So as much as I despise Kotick, he made the right choice dropping Brutal Legend.
If only they hadn't decided to "innovate" by suddenly turning the game into a completely shitty RTS half-way through. Ugh.

32. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 17:49 Talisorn

kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 12:16:
I also recommend BOP manufacturing!

Favorite excerpt.

Eurogamer: What do you think about Bobby Kotick? He's a person.
Tim Schafer: He is. Well, allegedly. Ah... I don't know.

LOL! +2 Tim Schafer, you're my hero! :D

+3 and QFT just to be sure!

31. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 17:42 MattyC

siapnar wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:37:
ASeven wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:18:
Grim Fandango still rules.

Hell yea, although I've had problems trying to get it to run on new computers. I really want to go through it again

Same. I would love an updated (Just in the sense that it works on Win 7 64 etc) version to come out on GoG or Steam.

30. removed Jul 14, 2010, 17:38 Kxmode

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 14, 2010, 18:14.

29. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 17:33 Krovven

Presentation and style was grade A.

Gameplay was a C-.

Probably didn't help any that I tried it the day after finishing Red Dead Redemption.

28. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 17:20 Cutter

Brutal Legend was a blast!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

27. removed Jul 14, 2010, 17:06 TurdFergasun

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 14, 2010, 18:13.

26. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 16:31 Caveman

Yea, Kotick wanting more money, what a fucking asshole right? *rolls eyes*  

25. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 16:26 rist3903

Go Tim go!  

24. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 16:17 Krovven

While I applaud Tim for standing up to Kotick...if I was Kotick I would have dropped Brutal Legend too.

Picked the game up for $20 awhile back and just got around to playing it this past weekend. The game sucks. Reminds me a lot of Sacrifice...but not even close to being as good.

So as much as I despise Kotick, he made the right choice dropping Brutal Legend.

23. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Jul 14, 2010, 16:15 HellSlayer

...and who is Tim Schafer again? Let me google...  
o0

22. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 15:22 Cutter

Sadly, this applies to just about all forms of entertainment today; video games, movies, and television. Who is to blame though, the studios or the consumers?

It's always the consumers. If they don't make it viable companies won't make it. Just look at most of what any of these industries produce and it's all schlock. Most people like schlock. Sad but true.

And god love ya' Timmy! You just became a real hero to real gamers everywhere!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 14:50 Atomic

My favorite quote:

You can't just latch onto something when it's popular and then squeeze the life out of it and then move on to the next one. You have to at some point create something, build something.

Sadly, this applies to just about all forms of entertainment today; video games, movies, and television. Who is to blame though, the studios or the consumers?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

20. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 14:05 vacs

DanL wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:38:
That made me an instant Tim Schafer fan.

If you really care of video games and accept it as an art form like movies or paintings, then it's impossible NOT to be a fan of Tim Schafer.

19. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 13:53 Kxmode

Hyatus wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 13:44:
kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 12:36:
TangoBaker wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 12:31:
Can we all just agree to spell his name as Bobby Kodick? Did you see what I did there? Brilliant! I think.

I suggest Bobby Kotex.

WARNING * MATURITY LEVEL FALLING RAPIDLY * WARNING

It only falls to zero when someone invokes Godwin's law. Wink

"go to an industry that makes more money. Ball bearings… something that suits his passions more. Weapons manufacturing?"

You know who else was involved in Weapons manufacturing?

That doesn't count. You have to say it!

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2010, 14:36.

18. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 13:49 TheWhistlingPig

nin wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:30:
Surf wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 10:53:
Love people that don't hold back and tell it like it is!

Like Bobby Kotick?

He doesn't tell it like it is, he simply tells shareholders whatever it takes to make them drool, no matter how unrealistic it is.

I would think the judgment on how realistic or unrealistic Bobby Kotick is will be left to the results of the execution of his plans. Enterprise is inherently speculative.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo