Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE

A thread on Capcom-Unity links to a preorder listing on GAME.co.uk for Dead Rising 2 that has the Games for Windows LIVE logo on the cover art. The original poster seeks a confirmation, and gets one, as Capcom's Christian Svensson responds saying: "Yes, DR2 uses Games for Windows Live (I don't feel bad confirming that since as you've pointed out, it's on the box)." Thanks TheWeaponeer.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 15, 2010, 02:21 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 09:48:
But listen guys, with this you can have real honest-to-goodness Xbox brand achievements. Surely that's worth any cost.

Don't forget limited installs! People LOVE those!

Limited activations, and you get 30, and you only need to activate to play online. Not really a concern, as the multi for any of these games will be long dead before I install them on 30 different configs.

Not that I agree with it in principle, mind you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 14, 2010, 12:31 Jerykk

GFWL requires you to be connected to their servers to be able to save or load.

Pretty sure that isn't accurate. You can create an offline account, which I've done for all my games using GfWL.

22. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 14, 2010, 10:37 Verno

They are just making it even easier for pirates, Microsoft still hasn't closed the whole shared cdkey database loophole in GFWL and doesn't appear to be interested in doing so.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

21. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 14, 2010, 09:48 nin

But listen guys, with this you can have real honest-to-goodness Xbox brand achievements. Surely that's worth any cost.

Don't forget limited installs! People LOVE those!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 14, 2010, 02:51 ASJD

19. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 14, 2010, 02:13 Azriel

GFWL is the scum of digital distribution and DRM. The ONLY reason any devs use it is because microsoft HAS to bribe them to use it. Most devs use steam because it is the most accepted form of digital distribution that gamers will accept. While some people hate steam and love GFWL, I think the problem is when you are FORCED to have BOTH installed. Have one or the other, not both.  

18. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 23:35 StingingVelvet

MattyC wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 22:36:
entr0py wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 21:06:
At least it's not as bad as requiring Steam. If something goes wrong with steam's automatic updates when you launch a game, there's simply no way to play it. In theory Steam has an offline mode, but you have to be LOGGED IN ONLINE to switch to offline mode.

That isn't true. When my net goes down I can still start up Steam and play games. It says something about it can't connect and then offers to go into offline mode. Same thing with GFWL saves, you don't have to be online for that. Both games I have for that I also picked up off Steam (DoW2 and FO3, as mentioned before) and I have been able to play and save both without an internet connection.

It only works like that sometimes, I think it is dependent on having "gone offline" within a certain period of time.

There have definitely been occasions where I was offline and Steam told me to fuck off when I tried to start a game.

17. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 22:36 MattyC

entr0py wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 21:06:
At least it's not as bad as requiring Steam. If something goes wrong with steam's automatic updates when you launch a game, there's simply no way to play it. In theory Steam has an offline mode, but you have to be LOGGED IN ONLINE to switch to offline mode.

That isn't true. When my net goes down I can still start up Steam and play games. It says something about it can't connect and then offers to go into offline mode. Same thing with GFWL saves, you don't have to be online for that. Both games I have for that I also picked up off Steam (DoW2 and FO3, as mentioned before) and I have been able to play and save both without an internet connection.

16. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 21:22 osage no onna

Really? I suppose that's not quite as bad, but they certainly didn't tell me that. All I know is that I tried to play the game and they went out of their way to cripple the game until I jumped through whatever pointless hoops they felt like throwing at me. Definitely didn't endear me towards GfWL.  

15. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 21:16 entr0py

osage no onna wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 20:20:
GFWL requires you to be connected to their servers to be able to save or load.

That's not really true. You do have to "log in" to access saves, but you don't have to be online in order to log in to a GFWL account you've ever used on that computer. It will even remember your achievements and upload them next time you do log in online.

And even if you absolutely never have an internet connection, you can still play, save and load GFWL games. You just have to create what's called a "local profile". To do it, click "create new profile" from the GFWL in-game menu. And scroll down through the text until you see a hyperlink that says "create a local profile". Type any name and you're done.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2010, 21:33.

14. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 21:06 entr0py

13. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 20:27 necrosis

Well as someone who was on the fence about buying this for PC... I have now been pushed off towards the side of not buying.

I got screwed over with EVERY DLC for Fallout 3 because of GfWL issues. Throw GTAIV on top of that for good measure. After those two total clusterfucks any game that uses GfWL is on the same list ad games from Ubi.

12. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 20:20 osage no onna

GFWL is generally easy enough to ignore so I didn't have much against it until trying to play Red Faction: Guerrilla on the PC, but that certainly turned me against it.

Besides, GFWL isn't even close to the same thing as Ubi's DRM. I don't like it either, but you can play offline with it just fine and it's not particularly intrusive anyway.

Ubi's DRM requires you to be connected to their servers to be able to play. GFWL requires you to be connected to their servers to be able to save or load. The fact that it isn't that bad with every game is unimportant; clearly they're not opposed to batshit insane implementations, and if the "service" became ubiquitous and they could get away with, they would no doubt go with extreme implementations like that--and worse--more and more often.

11. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 19:26 Verno

Yeah, it's exactly like an absurd political opinion Rolleyes

Anyways I don't really see the big deal, you can use a swapped Xlive.dll if you don't want your save games messed with. It's not like this is some 8 player multiplayer title that was going to get dedicated servers.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

10. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 19:15 Kxmode

ASeven wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 19:03:
Piracy in the PC is now the most used excuse by the industry to justify anything

Kind of like racism is the most used excuse by anyone who disagrees with Obama.

9. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 19:13 Kxmode

Paketep wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 17:16:
Oh, god, WHY???. Why would you use that POS, Capcom?. Why do all the PCGA cronies make all the wrong decisions and then complain that their games didn't sell because of piracy?.

Go stand in the corner with Ubi's DRM, you idiots.

You forgot the dunce cap.

8. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 19:12 Kxmode

Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE

Pun intended?

7. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 19:03 ASeven

Piracy in the PC is now the most used excuse by the industry to justify anything so whenever I hear something bad happened because of piracy I immediately discard it.

About GFWL though I don't have a burning hatred for it I don't like it and MS dropped the ball badly with it. And Capcom, fucking release Super Street Fighter IV for the PC.

6. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 18:54 Bumpy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 17:59:
GFWL is a lot better than Steamworks to me because I can ignore it and never have to activate. I don't get the constant hate for GFWL singleplayer games like this one and the love for singleplayer Steamworks.

For multiplayer I understand the activation and interface is annoying on GFWL.

QFT. I'd much rather have the less restricting GFWL than Steamworks. I'm more in control of my purchased product with GFWL.

5. Re: Dead Rising 2 Using Games for Windows LIVE Jul 13, 2010, 17:59 StingingVelvet

GFWL is a lot better than Steamworks to me because I can ignore it and never have to activate. I don't get the constant hate for GFWL singleplayer games like this one and the love for singleplayer Steamworks.

For multiplayer I understand the activation and interface is annoying on GFWL.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo