Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Congrats to Spain for winning the World Cup, and congrats to the World Cup for finally helping me understand and appreciate association football/soccer, as I never really got the sport before (though the last game was not a great spectacle). We watched the final, the third place game, and a few other matches along the way, and will miss the spectacle and the excitement of the whole event now that it's over. We even got used to the vuvuzelas eventually, though we will not miss them at all.

R.I.P.: New York Yankees fans mourn loss of Bob Sheppard, an 'irreplaceable' public address announcer.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: GoldRunner.
CellCraft.
Pulsate. Thanks Neatorama.
Links: Instant Oil Spill. Thanks Huffington Post.
10 Things You Need to Know about Indian Reservation Gambling. Thanks Neatorama.
Lego Stop Motion Animated Videos of Movie Scenes and Video Games.
Stories: "Zombies" crash on I-84 near Lloyd exit.
Historians locate King Arthur's Round Table. Search for footstool continues.
Dog Left In Hot Car Honks For Help. Thanks Digg.
Science: Running 'can slow ageing process'.
Algae: The World's New Alternative Energy Source?
Global population study launched by Royal Society.
I Think You Misunderstood ‘Central Air’.
Media: Awesome baseball commentary after girl gets gloved in face.
Super Mario Bros. Leftovers. Thanks Digg.
Amazing mask video. Thanks Joker961.
The Funnies: Hunt.
Follow-up: Scientists expected Obama administration to be friendlier.
IKEA Turns Out the Lights On Incandescent Bulb Sales.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: first, you will blow me Jul 13, 2010, 06:05 InBlack

WarPig wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 20:46:
space captain wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 18:22:
mel gibson is batshit crazy

Holy crap. Yeah, he needs help. Wonder if he's bi-polar. Maybe he's just crazy drunk but he's either got mental problems or he's on something.

Hmmmm I wonder.....Its obvious that he has problems but If you read the article to the end it looks like Oxana provoked him into going overboard. Its also interesting that she shows no emotion whatsoever, and that Mel mentions that multiple times that she treats him like shit and has no friends.

I wonder if Oxana isnt a manipulative sociopath? It wouldnt be the first time an unstable gullible rich guy got hooked line and sinker into a fucked up situation.

Does he have a history of wife-beating behaviour? That would clear up a lot...

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Scientists expected Obama administration to be friendlier. Jul 13, 2010, 04:21 jdreyer

And I expected him to end the war in Iraq, to stop spying on Americans without warrants, to close the affront to our constitution that is Guantanamo, and not attempt to assassinate Americans without due process.

Yet here we are...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 22:38 Sepharo

Oh yeah, at the LAN I was at last weekend there were Vuvuzelas.

It was actually pretty funny hearing them during the tourneys.

10. Re: first, you will blow me Jul 12, 2010, 20:46 WarPig

space captain wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 18:22:

Holy crap. Yeah, he needs help. Wonder if he's bi-polar. Maybe he's just crazy drunk but he's either got mental problems or he's on something.

GO SEAHAWKS!

9. first, you will blow me Jul 12, 2010, 18:22 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 17:11 Hoop

I think they managed to tone down the impact of the vuvuzelas by the finals.
The first couple of games were unbearable, kind of a pitchy frequency vibration thing that I found akin to nails on a blackboard, bees in your head, or a womans nagging.

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 15:12 Mr. Tact

I think I already said this here once before but it's worth saying again. Soccer and baseball are similar in that if you "really" understand the game it's possible for there to be a good 0-0 match worth watching. However, most of the time, both games are just simply boring.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 15:09 Vulkan

The officiating this time around was horrendous on all levels compared to the past seven tournaments I've seen.

The vuvuzelas didn't bother me much as I'm used to something similar every time I go to any of the local team's matches: Everyone brings one of those little airhorn-in-a-can things and blasts them during the entire duration of the match, and they sound even louder than a vuvuzela.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 14:14 WarPig

I ended up enjoying the World Cup much more than I thought I would too... and in four years I'll probably watch again. Until then it's going to be exactly like the Olympics where most of us watch because the stakes of the games and the skill of the competitors are, for the most part, at the highest levels possible.

GO SEAHAWKS!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 14:12 Cutter

meh. Watched it a bit - it drags on to long and I was putoff by the bad calls and dives. Glad it is over.

It's just a boring sport anyway you slice it. And if I never hear one of those goddamned horns again it'll be too soon.

REAL Football starts next month.

Hallehlujah! Saw a NFL ad the other day for the upcoming season and I got all giddy like a kid at Xmas.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 13:59 Caveman

I actually got Sheppard's autograph at Yankee fan fest waaaay back when. I wonder how much I could sell it for?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 13:58 xXBatmanXx

meh. Watched it a bit - it drags on to long and I was putoff by the bad calls and dives. Glad it is over.

REAL Football starts next month.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2010, 13:18 DG

Hasn't been a great tournament IMHO, all the star players seemed off-form - though admittedly quite a lot of that is really due to good defending - so games lacked individual flair and brilliance. Also, much of the drama has been about extraordinarily important referee mistakes, which is a shame especially since the refs got off to a very good start.

I don't want to rag on the vuvuzelas too much as they're a part of the game over there, after the first couple of games I got used to it. But, even ignoring the unpleasantness of the sound, they drowned out the fan songs and chants which are a huge part of the game everywhere else and provide a much better atmosphere. I suspect this played a big part in many games lacking rhythm on the pitch because players really do respond to it.

As for the final; I think Netherlands thought they were playing Speedball or something, that'd have been dirty play by the standards of a local Derby game.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo