Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One

The Silver Lining Website announces the release of the first episode in the fan-created King's Quest game that was recently rescued from legal complications that nearly caused its demise. "I am deeply honored that a group of devoted fans have dedicated themselves to reviving the characters, lands, and quests of my adventure game series," says King’s Quest creator and Sierra On-Line cofounder Roberta Williams. "Without the bravery and persistence of these volunteers, it is almost certain that King’s Quest would have been relegated to a forgotten obscurity—its story left untold. Now there is a chance to truly find out what happens to the royal family of the Kingdom of Daventry. I, like many other fans, would like to see how this story unfolds!"

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 13, 2010, 07:04 Eldaron Imotholin

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 02:45:
The people here that moan like crackwhores about registering to forums before being able to download a completely free game are a fucking DISGRACE to society.

Yes, you're right. We apologize. I can see now where we're going to be the downfall of civilization as we know it. Meanwhile, you just keep eaing the shit everyone shovels you and keep calling ice cream there, scooter.

We're talking about a free game here. I'm not saying that you HAVE to download it because it's free, smartass. Just don't moan about it if you want it but a simple registration gets in your way.

If you didn't want it anyway, then it's even more pathetic to whine about it on Blues.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 13, 2010, 02:45 Cutter

The people here that moan like crackwhores about registering to forums before being able to download a completely free game are a fucking DISGRACE to society.

Yes, you're right. We apologize. I can see now where we're going to be the downfall of civilization as we know it. Meanwhile, you just keep eaing the shit everyone shovels you and keep calling ice cream there, scooter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 07:57 Kajetan

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 06:50:
It's a free game made by fans with a passion.
I dont know these guys. I thank them for this game, but i find it arkward that i have to register first to download the game. Nothing more, nothing less. No need to get upset ...

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2010, 09:29.

18. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 06:50 Eldaron Imotholin

The people here that moan like crackwhores about registering to forums before being able to download a completely free game are a fucking DISGRACE to society. I like to keep things civil on Bluesnews but you guys piss me off so much I'd be fooling myself if I not expressed it.

It's a free game made by fans with a passion. If entering your e-mail address and some other things that in total cost you 5 seconds is too much for you--....!

You know what? Fuck it. You guys are garbage.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

17. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 05:25 StingingVelvet

RedFlagKid wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 04:12:
I can't say for sure, but I think the only thing these people will be "advertising" for is future free releases, which, if you're playing the FIRST CHAPTER in a 5 part series, you might be interested in.

You're literally registering for their forums by doing this, which allows you to gripe about the "free" aspect to them directly, if you are really so bent on it.

Anyway, this chapter is hardly a chapter, and more like a prologue. There's 2 or 3 puzzles in the whole thing, and the rest is long winded dialogue and dream sequences that I sort of glazed over during. I'll probably play chapter 2, but so far... not super happy with it.

It really just rambles on, doesn't it? And it is much more amateur feeling than one might expect from such a high profile project.

Still, it's alright.

16. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 04:28 wonkawonka

Surf wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 15:38:
Never been a fan of this game type or series, but it is great to see fans remake it for modern systems AND for the creator and license holder to allow it!

Too bad EA won't allow anyone to remake/modernize some of their old games! They hold all the aces with their past gems like Starflight, Wasteland, Sentinnel Worlds, Ultima's, Autoduel, Moebius, 2040 AD, MULE and many many more!

As someone already said, MULE has been modernized. And yesterday I d/l the finally released Archon mod for Dungeon Siege that brings Ultima 6 into the 21st century (barely). Similarly there's the Ultima 5 mod for Dungeon Siege. Too bad DS has aged so much already...

15. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 04:12 RedFlagKid

I can't say for sure, but I think the only thing these people will be "advertising" for is future free releases, which, if you're playing the FIRST CHAPTER in a 5 part series, you might be interested in.

You're literally registering for their forums by doing this, which allows you to gripe about the "free" aspect to them directly, if you are really so bent on it.

Anyway, this chapter is hardly a chapter, and more like a prologue. There's 2 or 3 puzzles in the whole thing, and the rest is long winded dialogue and dream sequences that I sort of glazed over during. I'll probably play chapter 2, but so far... not super happy with it.

14. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 03:49 Ruffiana

Too bad EA won't allow anyone to remake/modernize some of their old games! They hold all the aces with their past gems like Starflight, Wasteland, Sentinnel Worlds, Ultima's, Autoduel, Moebius, 2040 AD, MULE and many many more!

Slippery slope. IP protection can be tricky if you don't actively keep a tight reign on things.

13. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 03:00 StingingVelvet

You can opt out of getting mail from them, it's right there on the registration page.

It's hardly too much to ask, is my point. If you're bothered by it then oh well, don't play it I guess.

12. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 02:48 Cutter

And charging nothing for a game does it entitle to be spared from criticism? Sure, they can put up a registration before you can download. Its their project, their rules. But i despise registration requirements just for the sake of registration. Sure, i use the usual one-time freemailer mail adress for this crap, but why? Why do i have to register, when i'm only interested in the game?

Exactly. Thank you. I don't want your emails or your advertisers emails. It's not like I'm going to be buying any of their shit or clicking their ads anyway, so why bother? If that's the case, it's not really "free" is it.

It was like MW4 and their ridiculous client. What a cluster fuck that was. If they want numbers they can pull them off any mirror by the number of downloads. Free means, 'Here you go, take it. No strings attached at all.' Then again, I guess we should all know by now, there are no free lunches.

11. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 02:02 Kajetan

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 17:41:
Dude, the game is completely free and you're complaining about a 1 minute registration process? Get a grip.
And charging nothing for a game does it entitle to be spared from criticism? Sure, they can put up a registration before you can download. Its their project, their rules. But i despise registration requirements just for the sake of registration. Sure, i use the usual one-time freemailer mail adress for this crap, but why? Why do i have to register, when i'm only interested in the game?

10. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 01:40 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 14:28:
Any mirrors for this, sigh, they want you to register on some website to download it, no thanks.

My understanding is that their agreement to be able to release the game requires them to not allow redistribution. Hence no mirrors. And I suspect they want registration so they have an idea of how many unique individuals actually downloaded it.

9. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 21:42 Nurg

Surf wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 15:38:
Too bad EA won't allow anyone to remake/modernize some of their old games! ... MULE ...

Modernized version of M.U.L.E. now available: http://www.planetmule.com/

8. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 21:04 Sepharo

beaves wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 18:14:
I thought the game was a graphics update of the original, this is not, it is a completely new adventure.

There's a screenshot captioned "Visting the Winged Ones Royal Nest" that looks a lot like a scene in Kings Quest 6 if I remember right.

7. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 18:20 Donkey_Punch

I wonder if this would have happened if Activision didn't have such a nasty PR problem with the whole IW issue?  

6. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 18:14 beaves

I thought the game was a graphics update of the original, this is not, it is a completely new adventure.  

5. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 17:41 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 14:28:
Any mirrors for this, sigh, they want you to register on some website to download it, no thanks.

Dude, the game is completely free and you're complaining about a 1 minute registration process? Get a grip.

4. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 15:38 Surf

Never been a fan of this game type or series, but it is great to see fans remake it for modern systems AND for the creator and license holder to allow it!

3. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 14:28 Cutter

2. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 11, 2010, 13:36 space captain

Kings Quest 3 was super pimp  
Go forth, and kill!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo