Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive Review

Digital Foundry vs. OnLive on Eurogamer.net offers their full review of the OnLive streaming game service, following up on their preliminary latency evaluation (thanks joao). Since the practical value of such a service has been hotly debated, we were eager to see their conclusion, and while they find various elements praise-worthy, in the end they say: "In the here and now, the question marks on performance and value combined with the lack of games mean that we can't really recommend the system, but you would hope that the content side of things would improve at least." Here's more that explains why:

However, despite the incredible achievement in streaming gameplay with relatively low latency, the bottom line is that the gameplay experience is not better than what we already have - by and large it's tangibly worse. The varying quality of the graphics is questionable, and the lag is best described as "better than expected" - nowhere near the claims that have been made for the system, and still measurably inferior to current standards. It's just a question of how your personal perception level will interpret it as to whether it's a game-breaker or not.

In terms of buying games, the prices for new titles are too high and the selection of games is uninspiring. The notion of paying so much for what is measurably an inferior product compared to the physical disc means that OnLive simply cannot be taken seriously at this point in time - especially when you don't own the games you are buying. This is something the industry en masse needs to get its head around as digital delivery becomes more important: if you're going to take away basic ownership rights, and offer a lower-quality version of the game to boot, the price needs to diminish accordingly.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: OnLive Review Jul 12, 2010, 07:39 InBlack

Bye bye OnLive!  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 19:23 space captain

its funny how you think that hasnt already happened  
Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 18:51 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 18:16:
Ant next thing you know one of these new fangled internet services are going to want to access a little bit of your electricity too!
No kidding and then my brain.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 18:16 Sepharo

Ant next thing you know one of these new fangled internet services are going to want to access a little bit of your electricity too!  

13. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 18:16 ASJD

mag wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 12:53:
Where are the shills? I haven't seen any of them show up since reviews started rolling in.

They were too obvious so the OnLive marketers fired them.

12. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 15:32 Ant

I wanted to try this, but it wanted my credit card (still refusing it even though it won't charge me) for testing. No thanks!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 14:19 PHJF

So you're not paying for an inferior product. You're paying for the only version of the product you can afford. If that's not true, then you're simply not going to be interested in OnLive.

Except you have to OWN a PC (and have a very good ISP) to be able to "afford" this. The difference between a gaming PC and a regular PC is the cost of a $150 video card.

Essentially this system lets you rent the difference between those PCs, and not at a terribly attractive rate, and still end up with an inferior product, AND you have to pay more for the games. Just buying a video card would quickly become the far more economical solution.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 12:53 mag

Where are the shills? I haven't seen any of them show up since reviews started rolling in.  

9. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 12:07 KilrathiAce

OnLive sucks  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

8. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 05:51 Kajetan

Shadowcat wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 05:27:
but I can at least see (very clearly) that the system was never targeted at people who own a PC capable of running the games they are offering.
Do you know what people have in their homes when they do not have a powerful enough PC? A console!

There is NO target group for Onlive and other streaming services. This is a business model in search of a market.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2010, 09:47.

7. Re: OnLive Review Jul 11, 2010, 05:27 Shadowcat

The notion of paying so much for what is measurably an inferior product compared to the physical disc means that OnLive simply cannot be taken seriously at this point in time
I wouldn't touch this system with a barge pole personally, but I can at least see (very clearly) that the system was never targeted at people who own a PC capable of running the games they are offering. We're not in their target audience, and it's a bit pointless to review the system from any perspective where a good gaming PC is a viable alternative, because OnLive can't compete with that.

So you're not paying for an inferior product. You're paying for the only version of the product you can afford. If that's not true, then you're simply not going to be interested in OnLive.

6. Re: OnLive Review Jul 10, 2010, 18:56 Jerykk

Really terrible business model. It was obvious that OnLive's experience wouldn't be able to match that of an actual gaming PC so they should have tried to compensate by offering an appealing pricing model. Like, $10 a month for unlimited access to its entire library. With such a pricing model, they would have likely appealed to casual/cheap gamers who are willing to compromise quality for accessibility. Instead, OnLive requires a subscription fee in addition to paying full price to rent each game for a few years.  

5. Re: OnLive Review Jul 10, 2010, 17:28 Overon

We told you so. Those of us who are moved by reason and evidence told you so.  

4. Re: OnLive Review Jul 10, 2010, 16:44 MajorD

'This is something the industry en masse needs to get its head around as digital delivery becomes more important: if you're going to take away basic ownership rights, and offer a lower-quality version of the game to boot, the price needs to diminish accordingly'.

Whether the price diminishes accordingly or not, why TF would 'anyone' still want to roller over and accept lower quality games that you don’t even own, and then still pay a monthly fee for CRAP? Maybe if you’re a moron in the middle of the herd of sheep buying into this BS, and/or if you’re a young kid still living at home and don’t give two shits because mommy and/or daddy pay for everything anyway, then that may be an excuse. BUT EVEN THEN, why TF is this whole BS of a service even being pushed? Whoever the investors are, they got snowed and need to stop the bleeding and pull out now, as it is a sinking ship……..

If it is copyright protection they are so concerned about, I’m sure there is a better way. With all the technology out and savvy techies, they’ve got to be able to find a better way than OnLive, or better suited 'OnJive'!!!

3. Re: OnLive Review Jul 10, 2010, 15:49 Longswd

I don't give a damn if they get the performance and graphics to local machine quality, charging full retail and a monthly fee on top of that and you don't even own the game is the biggest deal breaker to me.

Seriously, you have to be a special kind of stupid to buy into that.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

2. Re: OnLive Review Jul 10, 2010, 15:41 raVen

It does work.
It's just not to the level where I'd use it.
That doesn't mean they can't improve it to your 'magic' level.

1. Re: OnLive Review Jul 10, 2010, 14:50 nin

by and large it's tangibly worse

NOOOOOOOOO - Really?

I thought it was powered by fucking magic...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo