Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Relents on Real ID

Blizzard has backed off from its plan to require posters to the StarCraft II forums use Blizzard's Real ID system to use real names. The World of Warcraft Forum has a statement from Blizzard CEO & Cofounder Mike Morhaime, which reads in part: "We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums." He goes on to discuss they still have high hopes for improving the player experience with the Real ID system: "I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature."

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

90. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 15, 2010, 18:10 Yifes

How would that address his issues with MMO combat exactly? You'd essentially have more people standing there engaging in the type of combat that he finds boring.

He stops standing there and farming by himself and finds other people to farm with?

You missed the point. The point is that farming is only one aspect of MMO gameplay, and is obviously the least interesting. I doubt anyone who has ever played a MMO enjoys farming. I doubt anyone view farming as anything other than a necessary evil.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 13, 2010, 15:17 Verno

Raiding is repetitive anyways. There is no getting around the fact that games designed to keep the player playing as long as possible will always be at odds with a game that simply tries to create an enjoyable experience, whether it's single or multiplayer.

If the primary design goal is time spent playing then the game must be repetitive due to procedural content generation being so limited and repetition inherently leads to subpar gameplay experiences. The only way to combat that is creating fresh content on regular cycles, something WoW has been able to do to some extent.

So in essence, MMO games are more about creating a revenue stream than creating compelling games which is what some people have come to recognize. It is very much a 2 steps forward, 1 step back genre.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

88. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 13, 2010, 14:22 Slashman

Yifes wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 19:11:
Try doing something other than standing there and farming by yourself. They're called Massively Multiplayer Online games for a reason.

How would that address his issues with MMO combat exactly? You'd essentially have more people standing there engaging in the type of combat that he finds boring.

He stops standing there and farming by himself and finds other people to farm with?

87. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 13, 2010, 10:17 Eldaron Imotholin

Verno wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 09:50:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 07:15:
Seriously, that this discussion managed to exist in the first place is a fucking shame.

It's such a huge shame that you apparently feel compelled to participate and enable it Bucktooth

I wasn't so stupid as to start it in the first place. But since this abomination was made, I helped putting it down. Bucktooth

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

86. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 13, 2010, 09:50 Verno

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 07:15:
Seriously, that this discussion managed to exist in the first place is a fucking shame.

It's such a huge shame that you apparently feel compelled to participate and enable it Bucktooth

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

85. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 13, 2010, 07:15 Eldaron Imotholin

Sepharo wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 22:34:
Yifes wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 19:05:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 03:09:
Yifes wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 01:51:
So spending 10 hours "accomplishing" something in a single player game, or spending 10 hours playing a multiplayer game like team fortress 2 is somehow more objectively and intrinsicly worthy than spending 10 hours in an MMO?

Yes.

It's like comparing comparing an outside run to one on a treadmill.

Shitastic analogy. Both running on a treadmill and running outside have their pros and cons, and they both improve your overall health. If you play games to make you feel like you've done something productive, then that's pretty fucking pathetic.

What I meant by that analogy is that running on a treadmill is boring and a grind, while running outside is interesting and more objective (point A to point B).

Yet you get in contact (even if its eyecontact) with other living people while running outside while you're isolated while running on a treadmill. That, too, is the difference between MMO's and singleplayer games.

Sure, call me "the MMO player", but I love singleplayer games just as much. Sometimes it can be a nice change of pace to get from playing the isolated SP game to the living MMO game. I have my guild there and there are often moments where interactions with other players online can put a genuine smile on my face.

So we can continue this SP vs MMO bullshit, but I really don't see the use. It's two completely different types of games and they both don't help you progress in the big machine of society, so in this way they're both an equal waste of time.

84. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 12, 2010, 22:35 Sepharo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 12, 2010, 19:51:
So spending 10 hours "accomplishing" something in a single player game, or spending 10 hours playing a multiplayer game like team fortress 2 is somehow more objectively and intrinsicly worthy than spending 10 hours in an MMO?

Yes.

Shitastic analogy. Both running on a treadmill and running outside have their pros and cons, and they both improve your overall health. If you play games to make you feel like you've done something productive, then that's pretty fucking pathetic.

Besides, although meant as the opposite, that analogy seemed to favor the MMO more.

So says the MMO player.

83. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 12, 2010, 22:34 Sepharo

Yes.

What I meant by that analogy is that running on a treadmill is boring and a grind, while running outside is interesting and more objective (point A to point B).

82. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 12, 2010, 19:51 Eldaron Imotholin

Yes.

Besides, although meant as the opposite, that analogy seemed to favor the MMO more.

81. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 12, 2010, 19:11 Yifes

I have high hopes for WH40K, but chances are it will do little if anything to break convention. My biggest gripe is how little MMO combat has changed. I want fast, visceral combat, like that of God of War or Demon's Souls. I don't want to stand there for two minutes while my little dwarf attacks every five seconds, occasionally pressing f1 to use an ability. And what's worse is the MMO convention of having enemies and player characters literally stand still trading blows. If I try to melee a fucking tiger in the African Savanna it isn't going to STAND THERE occasionally clawing me. Which brings me back to Tabula Rasa. I played it in beta and it did offer an updated combat model which was so entertaining it masked the games (many) other shortcomings, at least for a while. People said Conan had more involving combat, but I played that for a few hours and never saw anything of interest. I don't care if they have to make the game Oblivion Online, but combat needs to evolve seriously before I can take the MMO seriously.

Try doing something other than standing there and farming by yourself. They're called Massively Multiplayer Online games for a reason.

80. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 12, 2010, 19:05 Yifes

Yes.

79. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 11, 2010, 19:31 Slashman

PHJF wrote on Jul 11, 2010, 14:52:
I'm upset less about what the MMO is presently than what it could become. Of all the genre, the MMO(RPG) is the most under-developed and stagnant, probably because (I'd imagine) it costs an incredible amount of money to produce one. Nobody wants to be the next Tabula Rasa.

Publishers are afraid that innovation in the genre won't produce the next WoW. Of course, stagnation in the genre isn't producing the next WoW either.

I have high hopes for WH40K, but chances are it will do little if anything to break convention.

I'm really hoping that it does things differently and well...but I'm not going to bet my life savings on it.

Which brings me back to Tabula Rasa. I played it in beta and it did offer an updated combat model which was so entertaining it masked the games (many) other shortcomings, at least for a while.

Tabula Rasa had a really unfortunate development cycle. Stopping midway in the process of making a game to start from scratch is insane unless you are sure you will produce something truly amazing. If they had simply started with what they ended up with...they really could have improved the game over time. One of the biggest mistakes they made was to make combat slower. In a game about shooting stuff...that is the last thing that combat should be.

78. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 11, 2010, 14:52 PHJF

I'm upset less about what the MMO is presently than what it could become. Of all the genre, the MMO(RPG) is the most under-developed and stagnant, probably because (I'd imagine) it costs an incredible amount of money to produce one. Nobody wants to be the next Tabula Rasa.

I have high hopes for WH40K, but chances are it will do little if anything to break convention. My biggest gripe is how little MMO combat has changed. I want fast, visceral combat, like that of God of War or Demon's Souls. I don't want to stand there for two minutes while my little dwarf attacks every five seconds, occasionally pressing f1 to use an ability. And what's worse is the MMO convention of having enemies and player characters literally stand still trading blows. If I try to melee a fucking tiger in the African Savanna it isn't going to STAND THERE occasionally clawing me. Which brings me back to Tabula Rasa. I played it in beta and it did offer an updated combat model which was so entertaining it masked the games (many) other shortcomings, at least for a while. People said Conan had more involving combat, but I played that for a few hours and never saw anything of interest. I don't care if they have to make the game Oblivion Online, but combat needs to evolve seriously before I can take the MMO seriously.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

77. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 11, 2010, 13:15 MattyC

Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 23:16:
I'm saying that there are other games that take more skill to play than WoW. That, to me, is indisputable fact. So when WoW players act like they have achieved the zenith of gaming skill because they completed Raid x or y successfully it rubs me the wrong way.

And that is what I was talking about. You could have just posted that instead of that huge rambling post. I was just pointing out that by saying "Well it bothers me when games say <X>" while you are saying <X> in the same post seems silly. If you can't see that, whatever. I don't care enough to continue arguing such a non point with you; particularly when you keep avoiding my topic and going off on side rants. I am sure some WoW players are dbags. I am sure they may have been elitist towards you. If you don't like that attitude I don't think you should do it yourself, but again it isn't really something I want to get into a long debate over.

76. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 11, 2010, 10:23 space captain

this shit is deep  
Go forth, and kill!

75. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 11, 2010, 04:08 Luke

nice statement but I'm not buying it. As I said, hundreds of millions of people are using facebook, and lots of them are even posting their lives on the site. That's far from "being anonymous", and, mind you, this "openness" could one be of the reasons for Blizzard to come up with the stupid idea of Real ID. "People are posting their lives on facebook, so it can't be that big of a deal to have them post their real names on our forums."

"People are posting their lives on facebook, "

if that makes there life good , i have np with it , at all , but stay there at facebook, don't infect games with it.

people on wow act in another way i say when it comes to loosing loot beeeing in there eyes harasm if there is a way to get back on peps in the forum they will do it, and with a very popular , game with alot of sub there is a bigger change (if implanted) to hit people with hack and gold scam , and so on. Its a big marked in some contry , selling gold , and opening the real id in forums makes it even easyier than it is now

the way they rage when a ninja runs of with the loot , the way people be it young / old talk to eachother in the game people cheating eachother, making fun of other, the nerf of the game have brought it to a level of youngster and they act in that way , faceshet have nada to do in a game nada , why the h...is it so importend to see what your freinds are doing when you play a game? , just use the phone , i do think thats why we have it to call eachother , or use alt + tab go on what ever you have installed to talk to them , be it skype , vent , so on , why do we have to have all implanted to games , guess peps are use to have all in one place , so it may be to HARD to use more than the one finger they are using to attack with in wow

74. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 10, 2010, 23:16 Slashman

MattyC wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 21:58:

So once again, you are basically being the ass that you are accusing WoW players of being. Which was the entire point of my post.

How is it being the ass to state what I have personally experienced? I gave an example of a group of people who used to game with my gaming group. They were never very good. That is fact. They then got hooked on WoW and suddenly developed an attitude that they were gods of gaming. That somehow because they raided 3 nights a week or whatever that every other game was lame and a waste of time.

Did you even read what I posted before? And that's not an isolated incident. I know of several people who have gone through the same metamorphosis after getting hooked on WoW.

Basically then you go on to rant about what "some" or "most" wow players do or think. And you still don't realize that what you are trying to single them out for is exactly what you are doing.

What is it that I am doing? I never made any statements about my skill at gaming. The most I said was that I have been playing games since I was 12. I don't consider myself the next Fatal1ty. And I never brag about how good I am. In fact, our LAN group was almost exclusively about helping novice players improve their game and get better at it. We never smack talked or encouraged that past friendly ribbing.

I don't care what you think about WoW and I certainly don't care about CoH (which has very little in common with WoW so I am not sure why you are comparing the two). I just think it is silly that you sit here saying "WoW players like totally think they are gods and super good, but they aren't. People who play <X> are actually gods and super good, not WoW players". It is a stupid argument. Also it does not involve dogs.

This is where your disconnect with reality occurs. I never implied that playing another game made someone a god of gaming. I'm saying that there are other games that take more skill to play than WoW. That, to me, is indisputable fact. So when WoW players act like they have achieved the zenith of gaming skill because they completed Raid x or y successfully it rubs me the wrong way.

You keep reading things into my statements that aren't there like you feel accused of something. If you like WoW, more power to you. I don't spend your money. I like lots of games and WoW isn't one of them. Regardless of that fact, I don't consider that WoW is some kind of ultra hard game that I would get any sense of ego from playing and then boast about it to other people.

I don't particularly like Quake 3, but I respect the skill required to play and excel at it more so than I respect the skill required to excel at WoW. Nothing to do with how much fun I think someone is having playing Quake. I simply think mastery of it takes a bit more skill than grinding your way to max level in WoW. It has nothing to do with my level of skill or my boasting about my level of skill. My point is that if you're going to brag about how good you are at gaming, MMOs are probably the last thing you should brag about.

Not that I think you should be shouting from the rooftops how good you are at a video game anyway.

73. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 10, 2010, 22:35 Lord Tea

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 20:21:
Lord Tea wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 15:59:
that's exactly what's going to happen. Blizzard's backpedaling is a tactical move, they want to sell loads of games first, then start charging for battle.net and: Real ID will be back eventually.
The internet as it is, is at a crossroads whether people believe it or not. It's not all that dissimilar to the age where "mr.casual" got online back in the early to mid 90's. The difference is, is at this point we have the "being anonymous" is still the best thing going.

nice statement but I'm not buying it. As I said, hundreds of millions of people are using facebook, and lots of them are even posting their lives on the site. That's far from "being anonymous", and, mind you, this "openness" could one be of the reasons for Blizzard to come up with the stupid idea of Real ID. "People are posting their lives on facebook, so it can't be that big of a deal to have them post their real names on our forums."

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 20:21:
RealID may be back, but they're going to have a lot of problems with governments world wide unless they're explicitly clear on what information can be divulged. And burying something in a click-through ELUA or ToS are not legal in most places. It's moving now that ELUA's and ToS are not binding at all, and that's because of two things. First being most people can't understand the language(I have problems, and I can read and interpret legal documentation). The second is to whether you can make a document like that binding on a "click-through" basis.

good point, but do you really believe the folks at Blizzard haven't done their homework before bringing Real ID to the table? They know that the concept of Real ID is legally possible. People having problems grasping what is in an EULA or ToS is an entirely different story.

UPSA = United Police States of America

72. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 10, 2010, 21:58 MattyC

Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 21:32:
And yet, most of the people who mouth off about being super 1337 in WoW that I know suck at even the basics in terms of those same games that you claim are mastered by clicking the start button.

So once again, you are basically being the ass that you are accusing WoW players of being. Which was the entire point of my post.

If that's true then obviously people who practice to competitively play those types of games are putting in way too much effort. You cannot seriously be telling me that they are the same thing.

Look. If I suck at an MMO and I group up with people and play and continue to suck, I will still progress and get just as much reward as those who have some basic skill. Hence my 'just show up' analogy. Yeah it might be a bit over simplified, but it fits and I have seen this happen again and again. In fact, there is a couple in my SG in City of Heroes who suck bad enough that when we play with them, we have to take their sucking into account and try to compensate. It's kind of an ongoing joke. They are fun people, though.

Maybe. It isn't a sport or something you have to stay in shape for. Teamwork and strategy still play a part, but that was mentioned. But yes if they are practicing point and click all day, not having fun, and not working on the other aspects of the game then they are probably wasting their time.

Yes...it most certainly is...so let's move along. I don't have the time to respond to stupid comments like that.

Those were your words I was mocking...

Basically then you go on to rant about what "some" or "most" wow players do or think. And you still don't realize that what you are trying to single them out for is exactly what you are doing. I don't care what you think about WoW and I certainly don't care about CoH (which has very little in common with WoW so I am not sure why you are comparing the two). I just think it is silly that you sit here saying "WoW players like totally think they are gods and super good, but they aren't. People who play <X> are actually gods and super good, not WoW players". It is a stupid argument. Also it does not involve dogs.

71. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 10, 2010, 21:32 Slashman

MattyC wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 19:34:
Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2010, 18:07:
Its fine if you want to spend all your timing grinding and raiding for phat lewtz. But do not try to seriously tell me that it requires the same level of skill to play as TF2, Bad Company 2, Unreal Tournament or Company of Heroes.

It does. Games are just knowing mechanics and basic knowledge. It isn't hard to aim a mouse. If you can click on the icon to start the game you have mastered a FPS on a basic level (at least to the degree you were comparing WoW; show up and win).

And yet, most of the people who mouth off about being super 1337 in WoW that I know suck at even the basics in terms of those same games that you claim are mastered by clicking the start button.

Beyond that it is knowing maps, strats, and mechanics. And I play FPS games. I have played at CPL and Fraglanta etc. You most certainly are not some uber gaming god of "skilz".

If that's true then obviously people who practice to competitively play those types of games are putting in way too much effort. You cannot seriously be telling me that they are the same thing.

Look. If I suck at an MMO and I group up with people and play and continue to suck, I will still progress and get just as much reward as those who have some basic skill. Hence my 'just show up' analogy. Yeah it might be a bit over simplified, but it fits and I have seen this happen again and again. In fact, there is a couple in my SG in City of Heroes who suck bad enough that when we play with them, we have to take their sucking into account and try to compensate. It's kind of an ongoing joke. They are fun people, though.

Um... I have been to LAN parties with friends to play MMOs. So I am going to have to shoot that one down right now. As far as tournaments well obviously not, because it isn't that kind of game.

And I said tournaments specifically.

I haven't been to a Defense Grid tournament LAN however, so I guess that is just a joke game that "grandmas can play and claim the same level of awesomeness".

Yes...it most certainly is...so let's move along. I don't have the time to respond to stupid comments like that.

If you want to be a pretentious ass that is fine, but don't try to backtrack and act like you are not in the same post.

You might want to carefully read what I've posted before calling someone else a pretentious ass. Just because you don't think something should be said, does not make it invalid.

Time enjoyed is never wasted. If people are having fun then it is fun for them. Be that playing WoW, a FPS, or watching paint dry.

That has never been what I have been disputing. And I said as much so I have no idea why you're acting like I killed your dog.

At the same time I am not going to sit by and act like MMO gaming is the same as every other type of game. It most certainly is not for the vast majority of MMOs.

What you seem to be suggesting is that if I race remote controlled cars in my spare time and I have a buddy who flies light airplanes, then because we both derive the same enjoyment out of those activities that the skill required to do either activity is the same. That is insane and stupid. It most certainly is NOT the case and never will be.

I play City of Heroes because I like superhero games and creating my own heroes and customizing them. I like that the gameplay feels less like most standard MMOs than usual. I play an MMO. There is no way that I think that the skill involved in playing COH is the same as if I were playing Starcraft in a pro tournament.

My posts have never been about me saying that no one should play WoW. They have been about the retarded notion that many WoW players have, that WoW exists to the exclusion of everything else. If you fail to get that, then too bad. If you thought I was personally attacking you then too bad. But that is my opinion and it isn't changing.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo