Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes?

A post on law blog Zeroday offers an interesting take on Blizzard's Real ID program, and the recent revelation that this would require StarCraft II forum users to use their real names. The author points out that Korean law may be the motivation for this policy, as StarCraft's popularity in Korea is obviously an important consideration. Word is: "Iím going to make the suggestion that South Koreaís Real Name System is a driving force behind this decision. In 2009 South Koreaís government created a law that was meant to curb online defamation by insisting that all users who comment on sites with greater than 100,000 users per day must use their real name." Thanks Joker961 via Kotaku.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 9, 2010, 11:04 Pigeon

Why do I get the feeling this the brain child of some witless MBA.

'Anonymity makes people troll, so we'll take away anonymity from our users, problem solved! So simple why didn't anyone else think about this before, and there are absolutely no consequences! Hey while we're at it might as well give this Nigerian Prince our customers' account information so he can give them money! Win Freakin Win, Damn I'm good!! Oh and when we do this be sure to remind people never to give any of their account information to anyone.'

In its current state its not too bad, and somewhat useful. However they could easily take out the worst part by allowing you use a universal nickname, like steam does.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 9, 2010, 10:50 Mr. Tact

Korean Law? Facebook deal? *shrug*

It would be interesting to know what the "real reason" Blizzard/Activision has decided to go with this Real-ID thing. I suspect those of us in the general public will never actually know for sure. Hell, I suspect only a very few with Blizzard/Activision really know why. Whatever the reason, at risk of siding with the conspiracy nuts, I think it's a bad idea and I suspect it will have the effect of leaving a bad taste in the mouth of most customers.

It will be interesting to see how things develop as this issue moves forward.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 9, 2010, 10:16 InBlack

Agreed Beaver, creatively WoW was the lowest point for Blizzard (in my book).
Obviously from a business & financial point of view its the highest.
Hopefully some of that creative force is back with SC2 and will be with Diablo3.

But people being people its not that surprising that they screwed the pooch with RealID...People make mistakes and Blizzard isnt somehow magically immune just because they havent made that many up till now....

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 9, 2010, 04:15 Muscular Beaver

Sorry but Blizzard went downhill 2004 already when they released WoW, especially in the support sector and they made similar audacious moves like this one before. They actually started to rise slowly, and now it has reached a new peak. But I am sure its not the end.
You should have noticed that by now...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

10. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 9, 2010, 02:55 Razumen

Merging with Activision was one of the worst things Blizzard could have done, and now Activision is hard at work destroying the fan support and loyalty that Blizzard has rightly deserved, until now at least.

Starcraft will sell, for sure, but it's hardly revolutionary, or even innovative. And
  • all this bullshit about RealID, Battlenet 2.0 impotency, and everything else they are doing to try and milk the series for every last penny will deal a major blow to their credibility, and ultimately their bottom line.

Well, I guess that's what happens when you sell out.

9. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 21:07 Cutter

And as I mentioned in the other thread, virtually every other country's privacy laws run opposite of Koreas, so Blizzard would be taking on the whole world to appease Korea? No, I don't think so. As was also mentioned, this is probably about hopping into bed with Facebook and other social sites to maximize revenue sharing. So again, Blizzard is giving you the finger. I'm thinking a boycott is the way to go here.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 20:37 Fion

I guess I won't be using the forums then. I have a very unusual name and if you knew it and searched the white pages in New York, you would find me very easily. (Unless there are others with my name unlisted, I have a unique name in the phone listings for the entire state of NY!) Once you know where someone lives and their phone number, ID Theft is pretty easy.

I can see this whole Real ID thing getting shut down (in the US and certainly in the EU were it is likely completely illegal anyway) and only being enforced in Korea.

7. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 20:22 creatorswhim

Why is Steam on your list again?  

6. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 20:10 necrosis

Got to love when the government has corporations and hell, fan run internet sites by the balls enforcing shit like this.

Gotta love when someone as big as Blizzard bends over for them as well just fueling their ego.

5. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 18:58 ColoradoHoudini

The forums are still up in arms and I've never in all my years (since day 1 of release) seen the forums so angry at something. Locked threads everywhere.. hate on all the other related forums across other sites.
    Makes staying away from WoW forever very easy.

4. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 18:39 Hyatus

Word us:

Word.

3. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 17:45 winnetou

It still feels like these changes could get them into trouble with european information privacy regulations. We'll see how that will end up.  

2. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 17:44 AngryMax

No amount of wow/star crack is worth giving up your privacy over. Thank god i always had a gut aversion to anything Blizzard ever made so i don't have to deal with making this decision.

I am watching you Steam... you do this and its the end of our relationship.

1. Re: Korean Law Behind Real ID Changes? Jul 8, 2010, 17:26 Zavy

Dont suprise me blizzard would fall over themselves to appease the koreans.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo