Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard on Real ID

Blizzard tells Gamasutra they are "definitely listening to player feedback" about Real ID, and the recent revelation that this would require the use of "real names" to post to the StarCraft II forums (though they admit that any name can be registered, though it will be associated with your unique CD key). So far the outcry from fans would indicate the program is not receiving the reception they hoped for: "Real ID is a new and different concept for Blizzard gamers -- and for us as well -- and our goal is to create a social gaming service that players want to use." In any event, it doesn't sound like they are reconsidering the plan, as they explain its optional nature. "It's important to note that both enabling Real ID in game and posting on the official Blizzard forums are completely optional," the Blizzard rep said. "Players can continue to read the forums anonymously regardless of whether they choose to post in them, and their gameplay experiences will not change if they choose not to use the Real ID communication features in game."

View
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

149. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 17:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 15:37:
Newsflash - You still are.
It's funny, but the best thing you can do is attack people when you lose in a reply, that makes sense. That bares some real tell tale signs about your ability to debate the realities of life, and the facts around something. Especially when people have a dissenting PoV, because as we all know you're 100% correct on all things. Why didn't I see it coming. Oh wait, I did.

Let me guess, you're somewhere between 17 and 25 and in your last year of highschool or college, where you believe that the world is full of fluffy bunnies, butterflies, and sparkles.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

148. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 15:47 Eldaron Imotholin

Hahaha, I saw that one coming from miles and miles away. The joke's on you  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

147. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 15:37 Agent.X7

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 15:34:
Krovven wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 13:52:
Blizzard is backing down and wont force people to post using their real name.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816839821&sid=1

That obviously killed this thread Haha!

If they really only came up with that first/last name to improve their forums, why not just making people only able to post when they're past the age of 20? I mean, damn, when I look back at my Bluesnews posts from 2003 I was one of those stupid trolling assholes.

Of course the problem is that many kids are playing on their father's name due to payment methods...

Still, might be a better fix.

Newsflash - You still are.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

146. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 15:34 Eldaron Imotholin

Krovven wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 13:52:

That obviously killed this thread Haha!

If they really only came up with that first/last name to improve their forums, why not just making people only able to post when they're past the age of 20? I mean, damn, when I look back at my Bluesnews posts from 2003 I was one of those stupid trolling assholes.

Of course the problem is that many kids are playing on their father's name due to payment methods...

Still, might be a better fix.

145. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 15:32 Agent.X7

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 05:38:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 00:01:
Now, cool guy (although I think I'm the cooler, comparing our pictures, and I'm not even trying), stop being a whore calling the bitch a slut.

Wow. Clearly you are fucking awesome! Obviously I never realized that the US isn't the only country on the map! (Which everyone from every other country on Earth thinks that every American believes. Talk about ignorance.)

Wow, what if some hot chick walked down the street and some dude 3 houses over SAW her and followed her home? You can post all the non-reasons you like, but in the end you're still not giving a compelling reason for this to be the end of the world as we know it. Chicken Little away, folks!

It still all boils down to people being pissed that they can't act like immature little fucktards secure in the (false) knowledge that nobody can find out who that little fucktard really is, or people being paranoid that their real name will somehow give someone magic powers over their life. Plenty of people that dislike me know my name, where I live, where I work, where I go to school, etc. Do I sit and freak out every day because someone knows that? No. Life goes on.

First of all, I've never gave the impression that I believe that every American doesn't know about the other countries. Americans like you, however, sound so abysmally stupid and ignorant that you ask for it.

*THIS JUST IN*: APART FROM BIG HUGE AMERICA, THERE'S ALSO TINY EUROPE, etc

Really, you never gave that impression. Sure you did, bucko.

True, the hot chick can be spotted -> stalked -> raped. But that was what my example was for: I don't care that google has a 100% hit because the chance people will randomly type down exactly MY name with no particular reason is very very little. Same with the hot chick. The chance there are stalkers among us that just start stalking and raping because they see a hot chick, is very little.

The rockhard fact here, Agent Ignorante, is that there's already been comments from no-life gamers that said they'll "accidentilly meet" that girl from their guild now that they know her real name.

I can come up with so much more examples! But you know what? Why don't you come up with some examples that truly prove the BENEFITS of spraying our first and last name all over the world of online gaming?

Grazie mille.

PS: Thanks for thinking I'm awesome. I'm flattered.

I won't bother, since you obviously have trouble grasping basic concepts.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

144. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 13:52 Krovven

143. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 11:47 Tumbler

I'm beginning to see some issues with "forcing" people to share their full name. I don't worry about being stalked just walking around in public but I also don't walk around with a name tag saying my name is John Smith.

Maybe a compromise would be that a person's first name is shared but not their last? (Unless they choose to share it?)

I think the market will correct this. Same way it will correct Apple's choice to require At&t with their iphone. I like my iphone but dealing with At&t is a deal breaker. I bought android phones yesterday which will be here shortly and I'll be retiring my iphone because of that little issue.

I think this is the best response to blizzard in this case as well. Stop paying them. They'll get the message real quick.

Posting in the forums is sadly not "the internet". It's a private network (fully visible to the public currently) connected to the internet and they can set policy there. If that forum is not safe in your opinion to be using your real name you can either stop posting there or you can accept the risk. It's not stopping someone from playing the game.

It's like texting in my opinion. I pay at&t $30 a month for unlimited data (currently) but they want an additional $0.20 per message or at least $5 for a discounted plan for those messages. I disabled that service on my phone because I find those features a horrible deal considering they're already getting $30 from me each month. Texting is a nice feature to have just like the forums are for WoW members. Thanx to email I can send messages at no additional charges to almost anyone, and thanx to the internet people can find other places to post for WoW.

I'm curious would anyone feel differently if the forums were only visible to wow people? IE after they start using real id, then only members of wow could view and talk on the forums?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

142. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 11:18 The PC Warrior

all you have done is insult me and tried to to avoid directly answering anything on topic pot kettle black. you claim to be an adult but certainly dont act like one. dont bother wasting our time with anymore insult posts unless you have something to say about realid.  

141. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 10:51 Prez

Boy PCW; I've suddenly realized that you are incompletely worthless in a discussion. I must be getting old - I would have noticed that much earlier years ago. Oh well - better late than never. Better luck next time at putting together any kind of coherent ideas not entirely enveloped in paranoia. Have fun clinging to your precious anonymity so you can continue to be abrasive and obnoxious to everyone and have no accountability for it!

See ya!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

140. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 09:42 Verno

Oh I forgot to mention that as someone who has played a fair amount of the SC2 beta, there is essentially zero functionality for non-Real ID friends. If you want any modern functionality like following a friend into a game, you are forced to use Real ID. "Optional" indeed.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

139. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 08:46 Verno

If you four are done fighting for awhile, I'd like to make a few points.

This whole concept is inherently broken. Regardless of what anyone thinks of other peoples privacy, their entitlement to it and how educated people may or may not be. It's also racist and sexist, white males are going to make up the vast majority of players on the North American servers thus effectively silencing minorities and females who either don't want to be singled out or potentially harassed. In different regions it will be skewed similarly towards their natural ethnic displacements.

Do I really care that much if people have my first and last name? I mean in general not really but I also don't want it blasted away over the internet. There is no sense or benefit in creating large cross links of your identity over the web unless you are marketing yourself. For a writer or actor I am sure thats extremely beneficial. For anyone else it doesn't really make any sense. There's a reason we don't walk around with name tags in real life either. There is no positive aspects to it unless it serves us beneficially in some way. Real ID does not do that.

All of that stuff mentioned previously about how your drivers license, plates, social security and so on can be found is somewhat true but people are being disingenuous about it. You need a starting point for that and even if you didn't, you can't really argue that making it easier is a good idea. This is a videogame company not subject to many of the regulations on use of your personal information like other industries are.

Finally theres the point that this is only the beginning. You can opt-out...for now. I'd just like to point out even in this beginning phase they are effectively silencing customers who disagree with the policy. If you don't think this has serious issues on future precedent for this and other industries then frankly you aren't thinking about it.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

138. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 08:29 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 23:57:
Forget it, I am not arguing with you. I can clearly see that you lack the capacity to understand jack shit.
I can understand both jack and shit just fine, which seems to have been all your posts thus far.

What you seem to have is this grand idea that everything up here is wrapped into this great bubble where hordes of tiny fingers shift through it all, much like the US. Now going from that: In Canada, gun rights are not absolute. You're required to register, and take tests, and pass the tests. And have a license. But, that information is all private. Healthcare is run by the individual provinces here as well, and all your medical, and personal history is also private.

You are also guaranteed a reasonable expectation of privacy, which is protected by both the charter of rights and freedoms. And by the privacy act which deals with government and business relationships to individuals. I know, very difficult stuff to understand.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

137. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 07:18 The PC Warrior

Prez wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 07:07:
Wow, you have a warped view of things. Goes well with your snotty personality.

not my fault you wont face up to the immaturity behind your thoughts here. youve had nothing to add except gee guys i dont think this is a big deal, dont be a coward, man up to ur words!! your argument is whats snotty here, snotty and dismissive in fact.

Way to completely avoid answering my question. I don't care about your silly list. But the fact that you avoid a simple question is telling.

yeah i should everyone should be forced to repeat themselves until you decide to agree with them Rolleyes

heres the link again. please feel free to refute everything in that with your COWARDS MAN UP argument, lol. you cant defend something indefensible, i dont even know why youre trying. you havent been able to say a single point that isnt some variation of i dont care whats the big deal. this is a system that can only result in something bad things in the best case scenario.

136. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 07:07 Prez

says the guy who presented the 9 year old childs method of dealing with other people on a global medium.

Wow, you have a warped view of things. Goes well with your snotty personality.

i posted a long bullet list earlier in the thread, go read it, im not repeating myself 5 times for you because you dont think this is a big deal.

Way to completely avoid answering my question. I don't care about your silly list. But the fact that you avoid a simple question is telling.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

135. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 06:15 The PC Warrior

Prez wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 23:32:

What seems stupid is assuming that letting other people know your name is "exposing your personal information". The more we talk, the more I wonder if you are perfectly sane. Jeez, you have issues. ;)

says the guy who presented the 9 year old childs method of dealing with other people on a global medium.

Seriously, though. You know my name. What does that "expose" to you about me? I don't disagree with you for idiot Kotick's motive in all this, but what to what we're talking about that's irrelevant.

i posted a long bullet list earlier in the thread, go read it, im not repeating myself 5 times for you because you dont think this is a big deal.

134. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 05:38 Eldaron Imotholin

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 00:01:
Now, cool guy (although I think I'm the cooler, comparing our pictures, and I'm not even trying), stop being a whore calling the bitch a slut.

Wow. Clearly you are fucking awesome! Obviously I never realized that the US isn't the only country on the map! (Which everyone from every other country on Earth thinks that every American believes. Talk about ignorance.)

Wow, what if some hot chick walked down the street and some dude 3 houses over SAW her and followed her home? You can post all the non-reasons you like, but in the end you're still not giving a compelling reason for this to be the end of the world as we know it. Chicken Little away, folks!

It still all boils down to people being pissed that they can't act like immature little fucktards secure in the (false) knowledge that nobody can find out who that little fucktard really is, or people being paranoid that their real name will somehow give someone magic powers over their life. Plenty of people that dislike me know my name, where I live, where I work, where I go to school, etc. Do I sit and freak out every day because someone knows that? No. Life goes on.

First of all, I've never gave the impression that I believe that every American doesn't know about the other countries. Americans like you, however, sound so abysmally stupid and ignorant that you ask for it.

True, the hot chick can be spotted -> stalked -> raped. But that was what my example was for: I don't care that google has a 100% hit because the chance people will randomly type down exactly MY name with no particular reason is very very little. Same with the hot chick. The chance there are stalkers among us that just start stalking and raping because they see a hot chick, is very little.

The rockhard fact here, Agent Ignorante, is that there's already been comments from no-life gamers that said they'll "accidentilly meet" that girl from their guild now that they know her real name.

I can come up with so much more examples! But you know what? Why don't you come up with some examples that truly prove the BENEFITS of spraying our first and last name all over the world of online gaming?

Grazie mille.

PS: Thanks for thinking I'm awesome. I'm flattered.

133. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 00:01 Agent.X7

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2010, 00:08.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

132. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 23:57 Agent.X7

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 19:53:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 17:18:
And if you think your government, or almost any other, respects your privacy, well, you truly are ignorant. Canada, hmmmm. Gun registry, yes, that's a deep respect for privacy.Hmmm, didn't your government sell health care records to private industry? Ooops. And most of Europe's idea of privacy consists of Big Brother watching your every step. Yeah, very private.
The gun registry is related to privacy how? Canada has been anti-gun in some form for the last 250 years. And what government? See in Canada, healthcare isn't controlled by the feds. Europe has two different sets of laws regarding privacy and data retention.

I know you're ignorant, but now you're just being dense in what you're writing.

Forget it, I am not arguing with you. I can clearly see that you lack the capacity to understand jack shit.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

131. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 23:32 Prez

not wanting to expose your information to the internet doesnt make you a coward and thats a pretty stupid thing to say. everyone man up, real men fight with their fists in person. Rolleyes come on you coward, have the courage to stand behind your conviction and take a beating in real life! if you wont do fisticuffs then your words are automatically defunct, sorry COWARD. whats next? blood sport? everyone line up for MMA, prez wants to argue.

What seems stupid is assuming that letting other people know your name is "exposing your personal information". The more we talk, the more I wonder if you are perfectly sane. Jeez, you have issues.

Seriously, though. You know my name. What does that "expose" to you about me? I don't disagree with you for idiot Kotick's motive in all this, but what to what we're talking about that's irrelevant.

- Mahatma Gandhi

130. Re: Blizzard on Real ID Jul 8, 2010, 21:57 The PC Warrior

If people had more self-control and self-discipline to behave appropriately whether they are anonymous or not, they wouldn't have to be worried about watching what they say and how they say it. Man up, and stand by by what you say - don't hide behind some faceless avatar. That's called cowardice in my book.

too bad this has nothing to do with forum behavior. they are doing this because bobby kotick smells dollar signs from the facebook, the deal is even documented. blizzard had over 5 years to clean up the forums. they couldnt care less about what people post on the forums otherwise they would have done something about it long ago.

not wanting to expose your information to the internet doesnt make you a coward and thats a pretty stupid thing to say. everyone man up, real men fight with their fists in person. Rolleyes come on you coward, have the courage to stand behind your conviction and take a beating in real life! if you wont do fisticuffs then your words are automatically defunct, sorry COWARD. whats next? blood sport? everyone line up for MMA, prez wants to argue.

At the very least say what you want and take personal responsibility and accountability for it.

you can do that without broadcasting your personal information to the internet Furious2 blizzard can make video games without enabling it.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2010, 22:04.

149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo