Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive Latency Evaluation

OnLive Latency: The Reckoning on Eurogamer.net relates their early experiences with the OnLive cloud-based gaming service, also offering a video latency analysis. Their initial comments seem encouraging, saying: "In Digital Foundry's independent tests, we achieved an optimum response of 150ms - similar to playing Killzone 2 locally, and in line with Rare's claims for lag when using the new Kinect camera controller." They could not always achieve those optimal results, however: "In a best-case scenario, we counted 10 frames delay between button and response on-screen, giving a 150ms latency once the display's contribution to the measurement was removed. Unreal Tournament III worked pretty well in sustaining that response during gameplay. However, other tests were not so consistent, with DiRT 2 weighing in at a clear 150ms-200ms while Assassin's Creed II operated at a wide range of between 150ms-216ms. We'll be discussing the reasons behind this variance in our upcoming OnLive feature." They say this about their overall latency experience using the service on a fat FiOS pipe: "Even with this mammoth connection, in our tests OnLive never meets anything like the claims made for it by company front-man Steve Perlman, on the record as describing end-to-end lag as being under 80ms and 'usually... between 35-40ms'."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 13, 2010, 14:32 Verno

Something like OnLive would be a great demo service or broadcast gaming system though, I hope someone does that sort of thing with it. About the only thing that worked well in my OnLive trial was the whole "watch another user play this game" feature which was great and definitely superior to youtube or something. Would I pay for it? Hmm I don't know, I think it would have to be ad supported.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Seriously? Jul 9, 2010, 01:02 BobBob

It will be near impossible for OnLive to have games like this that require very fine and split second decisions and control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44VRXJTqy2U

It should be limited to slow turn-based or RPG style games that do not require much skill.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2010, 05:42.

26. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 16:31 Cutter

So he created an alt yesterday for the purpose of pimping OnLive? LOL suck my balls maddog, or should I say SHILL. Welcome to /ignore.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 10:36 Overon

I can hear thousands of people who understand the reality of the Internet yelling all at once "I told you so!".

Sweet vindication.

Some games where high lag is not an issue will work fine on OnLive just fine. Just not the high profile games where latency matters a lot.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2010, 10:47.

24. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 10:10 Creston

Flatline wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 03:57:
maddog wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:40:
Cutter,

You are such a jack a$$. I've been on board with the system since I signed up months back and was given the free game.

Waitaminute... I went back and read what Cutter said... Did you just admit to having an alt?

Possibly. More likely he's just sad not everyone is happy settling for a shitty gaming experience, and he feels lonely.

Creston

23. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 10:10 Verno

justice7 wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 09:42:
Armengar wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 05:06:
I took maddogs comments as being hes been using onlive and that just because someone says it is ok doesnt make them a shill. Everyone needs to first post SOMETIME. Hell my account is an old one maybe not the oldest by a margin but its been here a while - I dont go firing off posts to every thread.

I read nearly every blues post and rarely post. However there are a few who get the *rollseyes* every time I see a post. Namely the ones who sign their own posts.

Theres also some weirdo who writes in the third person at the end of his posts. Seriously there are some strange people on the Internet

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

22. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 10:04 Creston

We'll be discussing the reasons behind this variance in our upcoming OnLive feature.

Here's the reason: it's called The Internet.

"Even with this mammoth connection, in our tests OnLive never meets anything like the claims made for it by company front-man Steve Perlman, on the record as describing end-to-end lag as being under 80ms and 'usually... between 35-40ms'."

What? Say it ain't so?!

/listens to the sounds of stupid investors crying.

Creston

21. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 09:42 justice7

Armengar wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 05:06:
I took maddogs comments as being hes been using onlive and that just because someone says it is ok doesnt make them a shill. Everyone needs to first post SOMETIME. Hell my account is an old one maybe not the oldest by a margin but its been here a while - I dont go firing off posts to every thread.

I read nearly every blues post and rarely post. However there are a few who get the *rollseyes* every time I see a post. Namely the ones who sign their own posts.

20. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 05:06 Armengar

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

19. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 04:03 InBlack

Like some people already posted. This is hardly unexpected, the lag is noticable and significant. When you add up the fact that all the processing and input/output is handled serverside once you get a substancial subscription base the performance is going to go to hell in peak hours....  

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 03:57 Flatline

maddog wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 01:40:
Cutter,

You are such a jack a$$. I've been on board with the system since I signed up months back and was given the free game.

Waitaminute... I went back and read what Cutter said... Did you just admit to having an alt?

17. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 03:05 Muscular Beaver

Funny thing is that many game sites that apparently got money for their "review" say its perfectly playable.
I was suspecting as much...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

16. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 02:23 raVen

I tried to play Dirt2 and many other games (demo time is 1/2 hour) using OnLive on my 6mb DSL.

The latency is TERRIBLE, I would say 100-150ms is about right. For driving games that is a deal breaker for me. I also don't like smudged compression everywhere. Nothing is sharp and clear detail like they were saying it would be. (Then again, I do have clinically better than average eyesight.)

I have a year free in the founder program. I'll check back with it in a week or so. Maybe things will have changed. (I'll probably check it out at work at some point too.)

Latency:
When I can click something and almost get to two-onethousand I get terribly irritated, Don't you? I still hate most Unreal engine UI because of this.

15. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 01:51 Surf

Fios is not common yet and none of these tests were done with a massive online game such a Bad Company 2 or BF2.

Good fucking luck. This won't get off the ground and be cost effective by any stretch.

14. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 01:50 BobBob

Why not just save your money and upgrade your computer or get a new laptop? Hardware upgrades benefit all aspects of computing, not just games.  

13. Re: Seriously? Jul 8, 2010, 01:40 maddog

Cutter,

You are such a jack a$$. I've been on board with the system since I signed up months back and was given the free game. Used my coupon code for Just Cause 2 and it's been great. Speed is the same as it is playing on my local machine. Not thrilled about the fuzzy graphics but it's still early.

My connection is okay. Basic cable service from Cox here in San Diego. Nice service but as others stated, the pricing model will be tough to work through.

I'd love to see a flat monthly fee for all the games.

MD

12. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 01:37 Dr. D. Schreber

If the idea behind this wasn't already absolute rubbish, the pay scheme would still make it as such. Sorry, OnLive, but you've not succeeding in convincing anyone games-as-service is a good thing.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

11. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 01:08 MxxCon

I was in the beta test of OnLive and i can say input delay wasn't an issue for me. It was very tolerable and after a while you stop noticing it and adjust to it. You won't be pixel perfect precision of sniping across the map with un-zoomed railgun, but for virtually everything else its fine.

However, what totally kills the service for me was bandwidth requirements. Games are fixed at 1280x720 resolution. I have 15down/2up internet connection. When you launch OnLive each time it does its quick bandwidth test and then uses however much bandwidth it thinks you have. Every time it used less than 7mbit of bandwidth games would become an unplayable blurry mess. Turning around or doing any action that would significantly change the screen would require 3-5seconds for the picture to recover details missing from the compression artifacts.
At ~7mbit or more it becomes less noticeable.
And as long as OnLive is running, it's using that bandwidth full throttle nonstop. If you play for 2 hours, it'll be using downloading at 7mbit nonstop. ISPs will really hate this service unless they can directly peer with them.

10. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 01:03 eRe4s3r

No, its like playing games after 6 beers. Only 6 beers are cheaper  

9. Re: OnLive Latency Evaluation Jul 8, 2010, 00:41 Cutter

I've been playing AC2 on it for a couple of weeks now, I've got the least expensive comcast connection I can get in delaware, and subjectively, it's been working great. I love it.

Really? And the fact that you signed on to Blue's today and this is your first post doesn't make it at all suspect, does it?

*cough* Shill *cough*

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo