Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Tags

The .plan file of Ryan Gordon of Icculus.org outlines a project he undertook to create his own tags for his game collection on Steam. The result is Steam Tags, which will allow you to do the same, described like this: "Basically, you go there, you tag your games, and then you can filter them by those tags. Click the game to launch Steam and install/play the game. Tags follow you from computer to computer. It's that simple." This will require a little trust, however, as you will see this message when you attempt to use this: "You need to log in to Steam Community to access this page. Your password will only be supplied to the Steam website. This website will never have access to your login information."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 19:47 Ant

Sweet. .plan lives! I still use it.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 17:16 Nomaar

I find my Steam games very quickly the old-fashioned way -- by putting them in alphabetical order.

9. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 17:05 Zyrxil

Creston wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 10:43:
Ehm, doesn't the new Steam client already allow you to do this? Or am I misunderstanding this?
It's apparently different in that it allows you to tag a game with multiple tags, while the new Steam client simply allows you to set custom categories for a game, with 1 custom category per game. I'm guessing this is through a browser interface.

8. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 15:21 Fion

Baudkarma wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 13:20:
That .plan thing looks really sweet. Kind of like a combination of Twitter and blogging! I think it's really going to catch on.

QFT

LOL

7. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 13:20 Baudkarma

That .plan thing looks really sweet. Kind of like a combination of Twitter and blogging! I think it's really going to catch on.  
I am not a man! I am a free number!

6. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 13:05 BobBob

Can someone please explain what this does in plain English?

P.S. Ryan Gordon is a great person. What he has done for the gaming community is priceless. Let's show the man a lot of respect.

5. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 12:37 theyarecomingforyou

Uhm...not only is this already a built-in Steam feature, but doing this will violate Steam requirements that you NEVER give out your username and password.
This simply links your Steam account to the website using the OpenID functionality. You enter your name and password on the Steam Community website - you can check the URL. This isn't a case of simply typing in your user details into a random site.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

4. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 12:13 Rockn-Roll

Uhm...not only is this already a built-in Steam feature, but doing this will violate Steam requirements that you NEVER give out your username and password. I suppose Icculus.org et. la. don't quite fully understand the meaning of never. I wonder if they are just testing Steam's resolve to protect client confidentiality? It will be interesting to see how many players violate their EULA and either get a forced password reset or banned.  

Let's Rock!

3. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 11:48 Fion

I certainly did a double take when I saw '.plan file'.  

2. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 11:03 mch

Creston wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 10:43:

Also, holy crap! A .plan file!

Came here to post the exact same thing. Blast from the past!

PSN: CaseDesignate

1. Re: Steam Tags Jul 7, 2010, 10:43 Creston

Ehm, doesn't the new Steam client already allow you to do this? Or am I misunderstanding this?

Also, holy crap! A .plan file!

Creston

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo