Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Blizzard's Real ID

A post to the Battle.net Forums has more on how their new Real ID program will operate. Though the Real ID FAQ calls this "a completely voluntary and optional level of identity that keeps players connected across all of Battle.net," this new update says that the StarCraft II forums will be using Real ID to identify posters by their real names, but makes no mention of this being optional, giving the impression that it is not. Word is: "The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain classic forums, including the classic Battle.net forums, will remain unchanged." Thanks Ant via dslreports.com.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 14:07 Ant

Krovven wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 13:52:

Blizzard is backing down and wont force people to post using their real name.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816839821&sid=1
Yay! They better not try again too. Good job, everyone!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 9, 2010, 13:52 Krovven

Blizzard is backing down and wont force people to post using their real name.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816839821&sid=1

59. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 15:43 Ant

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 14:03:
Ant wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 08:20:
This is why I don't use my real datas there.
Sadly unless you signed your original account with bogus info, you can't change it unless you legally prove your name has changed.

Yep, this is one tidy bundle.
That's OK. It is a disposal account. I do it for each game, Web sites, or so.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

58. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 14:03 Mashiki Amiketo

Ant wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 08:20:
Sadly unless you signed your original account with bogus info, you can't change it unless you legally prove your name has changed.

Yep, this is one tidy bundle.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

57. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 11:12 JohnnyRotten

ASeven wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 20:41:
PHJF wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 20:37:
Somehow "Frank Callahan has main DPS tonight" doesn't carry the same weight as "Rutgart Rockcleaver has main DPS tonight."

Hey, at least now we'll know just how many guys play female elfs.

Doh, not you to FluffyBottoms!

56. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 10:59 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 09:38:
This kind of blatant corporate greed can only end in a massive lawsuit, I'm not too worried.

Yes. As I've said, regardless whether or not laws are broken there's a damn good chance that someone will put a nasty lawsuit on them.

55. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 09:38 Verno

This kind of blatant corporate greed can only end in a massive lawsuit, I'm not too worried.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

54. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 08:24 Talisorn

The PC Warrior wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 06:17:
you wouldnt have a job anywhere but retail then, its standard practice in human resources these days. and you said you didnt see how this could be harmful, so a bunch of us are pointing out how and now youre just making excuses for blizzard. next time say that you just want to make excuses for blizzard so we will know not to waste time with you.
Errr .... Just because I have a differing opinion, I'm a Blizzard apologist? Perhaps I'm just in the position in my career I can afford to pick and choose my place of employment, that I can also afford to thumb my nose at those kind of employment practices as well.

If that's the norm for employers in the US, viva la revolution.

53. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 08:20 Ant

52. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 06:17 The PC Warrior

Talisorn wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 03:09:
Bah. I wouldn't want to work for an employer that thought like that. They'd be wasting my time.

you wouldnt have a job anywhere but retail then, its standard practice in human resources these days. and you said you didnt see how this could be harmful, so a bunch of us are pointing out how and now youre just making excuses for blizzard. next time say that you just want to make excuses for blizzard so we will know not to waste time with you.

there is no gain for us and there is no need for this system. people had no problems adding real life friends to their lists before this came along. activision wants blizzard to build a facebook competitor and then start charging a monthly fee, selling the info the advertisers and start making money off every step of the way.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2010, 06:24.

51. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 03:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Talisorn wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 03:09:
Bah. I wouldn't want to work for an employer that thought like that. They'd be wasting my time.
That's nice. Too bad almost every employer out there these days does it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

50. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 03:09 Talisorn

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 02:11:
Talisorn wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 00:13:
1. Why should your employer care?
2. How are they going to find out?

If your posting that information on the forum, that's your problem.
Because employers have this idea that if you can bring anything that's not within the company line, you're not a worthwhile employee. Huh that guy plays wow, well we sure wouldn't want one of them with us. And people have been refused employment based on things they've posted online, and people have been fired because of what they post online as well.

Employers stepping into the world of "it's offline, but screw you" has been happening a lot more the last few years. It will get worse, as the employment situation revolves around an employers market.

49. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 02:27 Muscular Beaver

PropheT wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 16:52:
Maybe they should just moderate their forums instead.

This is a dick move by Blizzard.

You mean actually use the billions they made from WoW? How can you dare to ask for that!

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

48. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 02:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Talisorn wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 00:13:

Because employers have this idea that if you can bring anything that's not within the company line, you're not a worthwhile employee. Huh that guy plays wow, well we sure wouldn't want one of them with us. And people have been refused employment based on things they've posted online, and people have been fired because of what they post online as well.

Employers stepping into the world of "it's offline, but screw you" has been happening a lot more the last few years. It will get worse, as the employment situation revolves around an employers market.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

47. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 7, 2010, 00:13 Talisorn

The PC Warrior wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 23:32:
i doubt people want their potential employer knowing that they caused a guild drama or that they play 50 hours of videogames a week because their real name got googled by someone in hr.

i doubt people want others tracking them down for some perceived internet slight. i doubt the female gamers want to be stalked by desperate, creepy people. i doubt parents want their kids personally identified on the internet for potential targeting by pedophiles.

That's more serious. Once again, this only applies to forum posts. In game, your name is only available to those people you allow to see it on your friends list. The only people I've traded IDs with are people I KNOW in real life, so they know far more about me than they can find out on the internet.

There certainly needs to be more education about its impact and it DEFINATELY needs to have parental controls associated with it.

it doesnt take a genius or much imagination to see how this kind of thing could be bad.
Simple Rule. Don't be an ass on the forums. Or if your worried about it ... don't post on the forums at all. Nobody will know WHO you are then.

46. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 6, 2010, 23:45 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 22:13:

I'll be the first to admit during the few times I had brief contact with MMOs (LOTRO, WoW, DDO) I played female characters (and a female elf in WoW, thank you very much). Not because I cared what sex my characters were but because I figured gamers would assume a female character meant a female player and that I'd receive better treatment (which, aside from the odd case of sexual harassment, is definitely true). Everybody knows that anyone with a female name in a chat room is 95% likely to actually be a man, but people tend to act on that 5% anyway, being the sheltered and socially awkward breed of persons we call gamers.

Of course there are instances where that bites me in the ass. On one particular NWN server I frequented some guy asked for a marriage between our characters. Yeah... I'm not that kinky. And also in this the age of VOIP it's getting increasingly difficult to continue my masquerade. I need some high-end voice mod software!

Even playing as Hunter in Quake 3 seems to bring much more compliments in 1v1.

45. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 6, 2010, 23:32 The PC Warrior

i doubt people want their potential employer knowing that they caused a guild drama or that they play 50 hours of videogames a week because their real name got googled by someone in hr. i doubt people want others tracking them down for some perceived internet slight. i doubt the female gamers want to be stalked by desperate, creepy people. i doubt parents want their kids personally identified on the internet for potential targeting by pedophiles.

it doesnt take a genius or much imagination to see how this kind of thing could be bad.

this thing will last as long as it takes for the first female blizzard employee to be tracked down in real life.

44. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 6, 2010, 22:30 Talisorn

ASeven wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 20:41:
PHJF wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 20:37:
Somehow "Frank Callahan has main DPS tonight" doesn't carry the same weight as "Rutgart Rockcleaver has main DPS tonight."

Yeh .. they're the guys posting from level one male characters.

I have to say, I don't see the big deal here. So people can see your real name. That's all they can see. I fail to see the hoopla.

43. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 6, 2010, 22:17 ASeven

Flatline wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 21:55:
ASeven wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 17:50:
That would be odd since the reason they're doing it is to cull the trolling and flaming, I think. You don't friend a flamer or troll nor would they accept the request, so if that's true then this measure wouldn't solve the flaming and trolling.

That's a bullshit reason.

It's Blizzard saying "take it to real life, guys, keep it off the forum."

Someone in real life will get at least harassed, if not beat to sh*t and back. If nothing else, 4chan has illustrated that it takes even less information than a full, real name to hunt you down.

It's the reasons Blizzard gave. My question now is if there's any other motives for this they aren't telling.

42. Re: More on Blizzard's Real ID Jul 6, 2010, 22:13 PHJF

I'll be the first to admit during the few times I had brief contact with MMOs (LOTRO, WoW, DDO) I played female characters (and a female elf in WoW, thank you very much). Not because I cared what sex my characters were but because I figured gamers would assume a female character meant a female player and that I'd receive better treatment (which, aside from the odd case of sexual harassment, is definitely true). Everybody knows that anyone with a female name in a chat room is 95% likely to actually be a man, but people tend to act on that 5% anyway, being the sheltered and socially awkward breed of persons we call gamers.

Of course there are instances where that bites me in the ass. On one particular NWN server I frequented some guy asked for a marriage between our characters. Yeah... I'm not that kinky. And also in this the age of VOIP it's getting increasingly difficult to continue my masquerade. I need some high-end voice mod software!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo