Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DirectX 11 WoW

PC Games Hardware discusses experimental DirectX 11 support for World of Warcraft that's included in WoW: Cataclysm, the upcoming expansion for Blizzard's MMORPG. They explain how to get DirectX 11 support working in the Cataclysm, beta, and offer screenshots comparing the game's DirectX 9 visuals with their DirectX 11 counterparts.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 7, 2010, 18:37 Eldaron Imotholin

Krovven wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 17:56:

It has the name of the person I quoted, who was dissing you for using proper grammer and apparently what he found to be big words. I quoted and responded to that. Not sure exactly how that could possibly be confused.

Alright, sorry. I tend to feel like I have to be on the defensive allot here ^^ *hides*

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 7, 2010, 17:56 Krovven

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 16:31:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.. and if you meant to quote him or me. But let me break this to you: English is not the only language in the world. It is completely normal for people who's motherlanguage is not English to make an occasional mistake.

Oh, and if it was originally pointed at me: I can honestly straighten my back proudly and say that my written English is often even better than the English of those who have it as a motherlanguage.

It has the name of the person I quoted, who was dissing you for using proper grammer and apparently what he found to be big words. I quoted and responded to that. Not sure exactly how that could possibly be confused.

76. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 7, 2010, 16:31 Eldaron Imotholin

Krovven wrote on Jul 7, 2010, 13:01:
AngryMax wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 22:26:

I hope, for thy sake, you don't speak like that in rl.

Clearly the english language is lost on some. Get an education and maybe you won't need to talk like an illiterate fool that was pulled out of grade-school to sell crack for his teenage mom.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.. and if you meant to quote him or me. But let me break this to you: English is not the only language in the world. It is completely normal for people who's motherlanguage is not English to make an occasional mistake.

Oh, and if it was originally pointed at me: I can honestly straighten my back proudly and say that my written English is often even better than the English of those who have it as a motherlanguage.

75. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 7, 2010, 13:01 Krovven

Clearly the english language is lost on some. Get an education and maybe you won't need to talk like an illiterate fool that was pulled out of grade-school to sell crack for his teenage mom.

74. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 7, 2010, 12:58 Krovven

TF2 has a much higher poly count, much higher texture resolution, much higher particle cap, etc.

About the only thing you got right there is the texture resolution.

Team Fortress 2 only has to display small areas, and most maps actually have a very small poly count (by comparison to say L4D) to match the art direction. WoW easily displays far more polys on-screen, especially when viewing a large vista (ie: Icecrown). Character models do have a larger poly count on a 1 to 1 basis, but WoW needs to be able to display hundreds of character/armor/weapon models on screen at a time, TF2 does not.

Particles...you clearly haven't seen WoW lately or seen it run with particles maxed out. Particle quality and density in WoW rivals new games, and does so with dozens of characters all creating particles with each ability used, on armor, weapons, etc...and of course all the particles used in the environments.

Some people clearly don't have a clue what WoW actually looks like these days, aside from seeing the occasional screenshot of a small area with little detail. If you have seen Marrowgar, his room with the ice wall, fog and the pillar of ice going up through the ceiling of the citadel...then during his fight the blue flame he shoots out (at high particle density), combining this with all the character spells going off...and can say the game looks like shit and is of low graphic quality, you are clearly an idiot with no objectivity, regardless of whether you like the game or not.

73. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 7, 2010, 04:43 Eldaron Imotholin

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 22:08:
Trust me, you dont want an MMO to look like Crysis. The game needs to run on most systems while looking fair enough on both high end and low end. In this way WoWs art design is phenominal if not perfect. If you're truly so ignorant and hardheaded to accept that assertion, than it is nought but an insult to your IQ.

If you ask me, the topic has hereby had its final say.

'Tis Dutch in real life, my childe.

72. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 22:26 AngryMax

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 22:08:
Trust me, you dont want an MMO to look like Crysis. The game needs to run on most systems while looking fair enough on both high end and low end. In this way WoWs art design is phenominal if not perfect. If you're truly so ignorant and hardheaded to accept that assertion, than it is nought but an insult to your IQ.

71. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 22:08 Eldaron Imotholin

70. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 21:29 ForgedReality

Krovven wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 17:47:
ASJD wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 17:17:
WoW still looks good? WoW never looked good.

To each his own. This argument reminds me of all the people saying how Team Fortress 2 looks like shit, because of the cartoon art direction.

Not the same thing. TF2 has a much higher poly count, much higher texture resolution, much higher particle cap, etc. I can understand WHY WoW looks so ugly, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

69. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 09:53 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 00:15:
and in the same timeframe you have WoW upgrading to DX11, the latest bethesda game (the new fallout) is still dx9, proving they are still using same oblivion engine from years ago. Sigh

They use the Gamebryo Engine (formerly Netimmerse), which is a multi-platform engine (PC, 360, and PS3)... and I don't think it supports DX10 or 11 to this day. That said, I have a couple of friends that work there that hate the engine as much as us customers. Not much can be really done about that. It's an upper management decision, and since most of their in house dev team is so familiar with that engine... switching becomes cost prohibitive, due to the learning curve.

As for this topic... I never was saying whether WoW's graphics were good or bad, nor their art style was good or bad. I was simply saying mixing cartoon style with realism is retarded.

If they're going to give DX11 options... they should use Tessellation. That way they could remove some of the blocky-ness from their models, and keep the cartoon look consistent.

68. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 09:38 Drayth

I think it's mostly because the shadows for large objects like trees and building are static (well, applies more to their original shadow tech), so they had to pick a direction all the shadows should sprawl out towards.  

67. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 09:27 Ant

Drayth wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 09:15:
Ever notice the sun and moon both rise AND set in the west in WoW?

...I did. -_-
No, but that's cool.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

66. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 09:15 Drayth

Ever notice the sun and moon both rise AND set in the west in WoW?

...I did. -_-

65. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 03:39 Lorcin

Don't worry I'll put on Fire Resistance Aura  

64. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 03:34 MattyC

kxmode wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 01:12:
Don't you all have something to do like hang out with your family and enjoy the sun. Sheesh...

YOUR STAR BURNS! I require frozen treats!

63. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 01:37 Ant

kxmode wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 01:12:
Don't you all have something to do like hang out with your family and enjoy the sun. Sheesh...
No and we don't like that big yellow ball in the sky.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

62. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 01:12 Kxmode

61. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 00:18 Beamer

KilrathiAce wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 23:49:
Optional features is what drives innovation and allows people to develop new technology, stop being stuck.

More or less.
In some topics people freak out that XP isn't supported.
In other topics people freak out that DX11 isn't supported.

Gotta do something to appease anyone.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

60. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 6, 2010, 00:15 Dev

and in the same timeframe you have WoW upgrading to DX11, the latest bethesda game (the new fallout) is still dx9, proving they are still using same oblivion engine from years ago. Sigh  

59. Re: DirectX 11 WoW Jul 5, 2010, 23:49 KilrathiAce

Optional features is what drives innovation and allows people to develop new technology, stop being stuck.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo