Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On The Old Republic's End Game

IncGamers has a story quoting BioWare's James Ohlen on high-level content for players who max-out their characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Though they say this indicates The Old Republic will have an "end game," what Ohlen actually says is they have a yet-to-be-revealed plan for maxed-out characters, which could simply be to raise the level cap. "I know some people are worried, for example, about the elder game [and are asking] 'what happens in the elder game, what happens when you get to the highest level?' We do have a plan for that and we will be revealing it the future," he tells them. "Don't worry, it's not like we're ignoring that. We have a lot of hardcore MMO players who have like five level 80 WoW characters, so it's not like we don't have the knowledge of what we need to do in terms of the elder game and other aspects of our game." They will be posting the full interview later this week.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 8, 2010, 07:11 Eldaron Imotholin

ibm wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 04:57:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 10:49:
Angry wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 10:44:
FIVE LEVEL 80'S IN WOW?

WELL HOLY FUCK THEY ARE EXPERTS THIS GAME WILL BE AWESOME!

First: Grow up more.
Seconnd: All he is saying with that is that they know all too well how important it is to have a good endgame system.

Relax, I'm pretty sure the post was a joke (sort of) see name.

Is that really what we need? A guy that's always in a role-play mode of being ANGRY IN THE CAPS-KINDA WAY??

So even if it was a joke, it showed that he didn't get the message. And I acted accordingly.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 8, 2010, 04:57 ibm

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 10:49:
FIVE LEVEL 80'S IN WOW?

Seconnd: All he is saying with that is that they know all too well how important it is to have a good endgame system.

Relax, I'm pretty sure the post was a joke (sort of) see name.

34. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 7, 2010, 03:01 saluk

It's the OLD republic. Jedi are actually somewhat common. If everybody wants to be a jedi it actually wouldn't be out of line. But they are obviously trying their hardest to make the other classes more intriguing, they hardly ever show jedi stuff at all.

Also, OT, saying that you "have a plan" for endgame, but not alluding any more about it isn't very reassuring. Neither is saying that you are looking to WoW for inspiration.

33. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 10:49 Eldaron Imotholin

FIVE LEVEL 80'S IN WOW?

32. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 10:44 Angry

FIVE LEVEL 80'S IN WOW?

31. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 09:55 Eldaron Imotholin

mixma242 wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 09:41:
@Eldaron Imotholin

I don't know if you were replying to me, but I what I was saying was with PvE in mind...

Sorry mate I was actually referring to Ray all the way below. Basically reacted on one of his questions.

Zadig wrote on Jul 6, 2010, 09:46:
Everything I read about this game sounds absolutely horrible. They're now claiming expertise in MMO development because they play WoW; so obviously they know what they're doing! The developers of the other WoW clones played it too, they also failed miserably. Sprinkling some licensed content on top of another WoW clone has never worked.

The biggest problem might be the license. Star Wars is about megalomania - the protagonist has super powers and is the most important person in the universe and personally knows anyone else that is important. Emotionally stable adults really don't need this. Bioware does this in all their games too. This doesn't work in an MMO. It definitely doesn't work in a Star Wars MMO. If Jedi are stronger than everyone else, then the other classes are irrelevant and everyone will want to be a Jedi. If Jedi can be easily killed by space boars and space bandits with pointed sticks, then it isn't Star Wars. SWG already discovered this.

I've looked at it like that aswell and although I do indeed agree with you, I'm still one of those people that has hope and is looking forward to this MMORPG anyway. But, yeah, looking at it from your angle it might've been better to make a Mass Effect or Dragon Age MMORPG...? Just a wild thought that only just now crossed my mind tbh.

I talked about the whole "everyone will want to be a jedi" thing with my cousin for a while, too. We were thinking they either had to keep out the jedi's from the classes entirely, only letting them be NPCs. Either that, or the only option had to be a jedi and that there were Jedi classes. Like a tanking classes, dps classes and healing classes. (in my whole post: with Jedi I mean Jedi/Sith)

I personally wouldn't have had a problem with the no-jedi-class option. Because, like you said, logic says that atleast 90% of the players will want to play a Jedi in the end. I say "in the end" because some might choose other classes at the start just because they don't want to be one of many (like myself).

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2010, 10:10.

30. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 09:46 Zadig

Everything I read about this game sounds absolutely horrible. They're now claiming expertise in MMO development because they play WoW; so obviously they know what they're doing! The developers of the other WoW clones played it too, they also failed miserably. Sprinkling some licensed content on top of another WoW clone has never worked.

The biggest problem might be the license. Star Wars is about megalomania - the protagonist has super powers and is the most important person in the universe and personally knows anyone else that is important. Emotionally stable adults really don't need this. Bioware does this in all their games too. This doesn't work in an MMO. It definitely doesn't work in a Star Wars MMO. If Jedi are stronger than everyone else, then the other classes are irrelevant and everyone will want to be a Jedi. If Jedi can be easily killed by space boars and space bandits with pointed sticks, then it isn't Star Wars. SWG already discovered this.

29. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 09:41 mixma242

@Eldaron Imotholin

I don't know if you were replying to me, but I what I was saying was with PvE in mind...

28. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 09:18 Eldaron Imotholin

They will make an amazingly dumb decision if they're going to focus mainly on PVP. They'll lose allot of customers (me included). I think this is because most people -- and I think even StringingVelvet said so -- love the co-operative factor is MMORPGs the most. Co-operating with a full raiding team to bring down a boss and collect the loot can remain fun for a long, long time also due to its addictive factor.

I personally feel like if I want to PVP, I start up games like Enemy Territory. Age of Conan focussed on PVP and it completely annihilated a sense of purpose for me. After all, WoW is so addictive because of this sense of purpose. The healer that keeps up the tank and dps'ers during bad pulls in dungeons will be complimented and feel good. Same with good tanks. DPSers with imba gear and imba dps will be highly appreciated ergo feel good. People can experience this in PVP too, but not in the same extent at all.

WoW obviously focussed first and foremost on PvE and we can almost say they perfectionized it. This is, without any doubt, the #1 reason of its extreme success.

27. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 09:18 mixma242

Could be cool. They have mentioned that every player will in effect control an entire party, so imagine a raid of say 20 PC's and 60 NPC's. The raid objective would be to capture/destroy/disable an enemy site, but the key thing is that several objectives have to be reach in real time simultaneously in different locations. Imagine part of the raid goes out to disable and hold a shield generator which gives another part of the raid a limited time to capture a control room or something.

This would be entire consistent with the Star Wars Universe - in fact it's a key part. In the original movie when they were trying to destroy the death star some fighters had to melee above and away from the trench, while groups would go in for a run to try and 'fire into the hole'. Obi-Wan also tried to shut down the tractor beam while Luke and Han saved Laia, then tried to escape. Examples go on and on.... Someone in these comments mentioned how Star Wars is about a Jedi saving the Universe – that is one way of looking at it, while another is that Star Wars is about a team making sure the Jedi has the opportunity to save the Universe.

This would be a much neater system than the usual tank n spank we see in every other MMO. Let's just hope that Bioware has something similarly creative in mind!

26. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 07:37 The Half Elf

But Ray, even Blizzard really didn't do anything new in WoW. They just refined and polished the hell out of it, and it worked.

And like Blizzard they haven't released a game I didn't like yet, so I'm just sitting back and waiting for the beta.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 06:52 peteham

I'm totally with StingingVelvet here. I really want a single player game, but I have no illusions I'm going to get one. This being an MMO, we'll see some degree of the generic, boring, sterile zero-impact worlds we're used to no matter what. It is unavoidable. It is your destinyyy.

Someone expressed worry that all the "worthwhile" stuff will require 20+ guys, and this is exactly what I expect to happen. It wouldn't be a very good MMORPG if you could do *everything* solo. So I'll most likely stay away from it.

Here's a comic that brilliantly sums up every solo MMORPG quest I've seen to date http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=19

And this nicely sums up "leveling" quests as a whole: http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=22

(I love that comic)

24. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 06:27 ibm

heroin wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 15:01:
I said, "They're going to make Fallout into a hiking simulator and the combat is going to suckkkkkkkkkkk!!!!"

Tell your sister... you were right.

23. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 5, 2010, 23:34 Prez

Blizzard is refining the grind. Who is refining the story? Does the market care?

Obviously not.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 5, 2010, 22:26 Ray Marden

This is about the only thing I have my eye on as a potential WoW-killer, but it really does boil down to the (end-game) gameplay.

Do we just raid the same content over and over in WoW? Do they sidestep the content issue and push PvP? Do they do an Ultima/Eve Online deal and leave everything to the player? Would they (or any company) ever actually turn their backs on maximizing the work to profit ratio and emphasize a constantly running development cycle? Do they try to toss in a little bit of everything, hoping nobody notices there isn't much of any one thing?

Will they actually come up with something new?

I really feel they need to do something completely new and unexpected or, if they go a familiar route, the need to nail everything perfectly - from the start and from top to bottom. Otherwise, WoW has covered a lot of its bases (even if unfairly from being six years old and having insane profits) and I see myself waiting for Blizzard's next MMOG. Given how much Lucas has crapped on this franchise, just being Star Wars isn't enough for me.
Blizzard is refining the grind. Who is refining the story? Does the market care?
Spending more time with EVEMon than Eve Online ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

21. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 5, 2010, 22:03 Prez

I think they have said numerous times that TOR = KOTOR3. I'm not exactly happy about it either. But it is what it is.

They can say whatever they like. It's not KOTOR 3. I'd rather them say there won't be one than rebrand it as another cash-in level grind.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 5, 2010, 21:34 VoodooV

Prez wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 19:46:
Sleeping Wake me when KOTOR 3 is announced.

I think they have said numerous times that TOR = KOTOR3. I'm not exactly happy about it either. But it is what it is.

My only annoyance is how MMOs cater so much to the people who treat the game like it's a race..who just blow past tons and tons of content to get to the level cap as soon as possible. On one hand, I can understand. They pay their subscription fees too just like everyone else. I'm definitely giving this game a shot. I'd really love to immerse myself in a deep RPG and actually find a guild that that makes the game fun even if I can't play as often. TOR has a chance of being that so we'll see.

19. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 5, 2010, 21:12 Mcboinkens

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 16:08:

Nor does it make sense bosses -- especially those of the same mass as one player -- need 15 axes, daggers, mages etc nuking them for 10 minutes before they drop. Welcome to the world of MMO's.

That's not an accurate assesment of his statement. He is saying that in the movies there has been one "main jedi" that saves everyone. In this game, you will probably have groups with a lot of jedi and that ruins the immersion since it is not an accurate representation of the movies.

Unlike in WoW, where it is pretty much a given that one mage or rogue or any other class could take down Arthas, etc. It would take a collaborative effort, since the bosses are known to have legendary strength.

18. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 5, 2010, 19:59 Steele Johnson

This game will be like all the rest. The only difference is that they focus more on story elements. Be prepared for your usual delivery and kill n mobs quests with your typical 'grind-to-the-next-level' crap. Nothing new here.  

17. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 5, 2010, 19:46 Prez

Sleeping Wake me when KOTOR 3 is announced.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo