Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2010, 18:36 xXBatmanXx

Well, it is space captain Blue - I have just learned to ignore his trolling on a daily basis. Steadily worse the last few years. His posts usually amount to nothing more than half of a sentence of drivel.

Probably doesn't even have dogs....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2010, 10:44 space captain

the danger is that the dog learns to associate panic with reward.. depending on the particular animal's capability for abstraction, its capacity to relate various events together along a linear sequence of time is the variable in question

just like people, you have to work with individual dogs on an individual basis... you know, if what you are doing doesnt work then you need to change the strategy - if it does work then keep on rockin

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2010, 09:57  Blue 

space captain wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 09:20:
you've totally invalidated pavlovs research with that nobel prize winning theory

That's how you see this situation fitting the theories of classical conditioning?

The dog is frightened by the sound of thunder, and the owner offers comfort. This is supposed to condition the dog to react in fear more often to get the comfort outcome? Seems the more typical application of Pavlov's theories would be that the dog would start to associate the thunder with the coming comfort, and react less severely. Indeed, over the years Hudson has gotten steadily better at not completely freaking out at these events.

Right? Bell rings and the dog gets food... eventually, dog associates bell with food and drools when he hears it. In our case, thunder strikes, and the dog gets soothed, and eventually associates the thunder with the soothing, rather than her fear.

BTW, by comfort, I'm describing how an explosion will go off, and she'll jump up and start looking for a way to escape the room or even the house, and we can simply pet her and calmly tell her that it's no big deal, and everyone is still safe and having fun, which helps a lot.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2010, 09:20 space captain

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 08:19:
I disagree.

you've totally invalidated pavlovs research with that nobel prize winning theory

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2010, 08:19 xXBatmanXx

Blue, if you coddle the dog while it's in a panic state you only reinforce the negative behavior.

I disagree.

Mine actually calm down.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2010, 07:51 jdreyer

That Coma game was pretty cool.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Vuvuzelas Jul 5, 2010, 02:42 Hoop

Oh man that sound is sooooo intense.

*sniff*....what does it mean? ...*sniff*

THERE BEAUTIFUL!!!!....what are they trying to tell me?

...beautiful...sounds.

aggghhhhh ...*sniff*
Beauty.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...*sniff*

They are lifting me on high ... mummy.

I can't control my bowels.

mmmmm it's soooo warm in my pants.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2010, 02:48.

Um .. Behind you...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2010, 18:34 HIGH_PING

"What does this meaaaaaaan?!
uuuuuuuuhhh
oh my god
uuuuuuuhh
oohh
god
its sooo bright!
oh my god its so bright and vivid!"

Pure comedy gold. Each time I watch, it gets funnier.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2010, 16:42 MUGWUMP

Blue, if you coddle the dog while it's in a panic state you only reinforce the negative behavior.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2010, 15:44 Wolfen

space captain wrote on Jul 4, 2010, 12:53:
there was a double rainbow over here where i live about a week ago.. i took a picture of it on my phone - it was pretty crazy looking, the entire arc from one side to the other with another big one behind it, it was massive

but yeh, that dude is straight TRIPPIN

Wow. Uhhh. That guy really was into that lol. Ive seen em before. I just say cool and move on lol.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2010, 12:53 space captain

there was a double rainbow over here where i live about a week ago.. i took a picture of it on my phone - it was pretty crazy looking, the entire arc from one side to the other with another big one behind it, it was massive

but yeh, that dude is straight TRIPPIN

Go forth, and kill!

1. How to make grilling safer. Jul 4, 2010, 12:47 Enahs

How to make grilling safer.

No, fuck tards. Grill marks are what is good!

And the chemicals it produce are not carcinogenic, actually. The chemicals it produces are metabolized by your body with a class of enzymes called Cytchrome P450's. Your body, through metabolism, turns them into the POSSIBLE carciongens.

There are many P450's in your body, but the ones that metabolize those chemicals to possibly carcinogenic food are also inhibited (blocked) by dark beers.

So, even though there is no good statistical results linking those possible carcinogens to people actually getting cancer, if you want to play it safe, the health thing for your body is then to drink dark beer when you grill!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo