Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield Academy Announced

Slitherine announces Battlefield Academy, a "turn-based strategy game like no other," offering preorders in advance of a release planned for July 21. Here's word on its World War II setting: "Inspired by an original online game concept devised by the BBC, the game has more than 30 battles in a range of theatres of war from the North African desert through D-Day to the to the [sic] snowy Ardennes mountains where the Allies battled to repel the final German offensive." The elements that cause them to say the game is different are the ability for players to easily create their own missions and scenarios "in a simple and effective way," because the game engine is completely script-driven, and a "revolutionary" server-based play-by-email system. Here are some Battlefield Academy screenshots.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 2, 2010, 00:20 Rigs

I thought DICE went out of their minds and made a turn-based FPS ;-)

No, no...you're ok, they haven't done anything of the sort...YET!

*que dinner plate smash and pretty blonde lady screaming*
All in black and white, of course...
*DUN dun DUNNNN!*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 19:37 ^Drag0n^

Thank God.

I thought DICE went out of their minds and made a turn-based FPS ;-)

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 17:21 eRe4s3r

You would be wrong about that first part.

BATTLEFIELD (note the bold) tm is apparently a valid Trademark at least in the UK.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2198223

But as you say, 2 words = Unique trademark. So the game will have no issues with EA whatsoever.

8. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 16:06 Rigs

The word 'Battlefield' is not a trademark and I don't think it can be copyrighted or whatnot. I don't know the world of TM's and C's but I wouldn't think EA would have a case with this. Granted, it probably has the ability to confuse gamers but it's not like this is the first time a similar name in two separate games has come up... Whatever

Edit: Damn, was I drunk when I wrote this thing...spelling AND grammar... Rolleyes

Edit #2: ...and punctuation...geezus... *facepalm*

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2010, 18:12.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

7. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 14:47 Agent.X7

Sleeeeepy wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 12:22:
*ring ring*

"Sir? It's EA's legal department on the phone"

My first thought as well. Name change coming in 5, 4, 3...

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

6. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 13:55 DangerDog

Adding "Battlefield" to the name of your game might not be the smartest PR move.  

5. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 13:44 Rigs

Well, the screens look...uh...wargamey...-ish...with a comic book...uh -ish twist to them. Gotta give 'em points for shaking it up a bit instead of giving us World War 2 Wargame/Strategy/RTS version 90.0...

Other than that, I don't know what else I can say...I'll maybe give it a shot when it comes around...maybe...

...possibly...

...sorta kinda...

...of course, if I put it on my list of games to play, I might get around to it, say, by this time next year or so...

*shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

4. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 12:56 xXBatmanXx

yawn.

Am I the only one that if an article starts out with Battlefield or Call of Duty I just kind of skip over?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 12:25 Ray Ban

The game sends information about your move to the other player by e-mail and vice verca. That's a much more efficient way to exchange data for turn-based games, where you spend maybe 15 minutes on a turn and then 1 sec on transmitting the data.  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

2. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 12:22 Sleeeeepy

*ring ring*

"Sir? It's EA's legal department on the phone"

1. Re: Battlefield Academy Announced Jul 1, 2010, 12:02 Lit_Reflex001

Play by email?! They thought up a way to play without being able to see anything?!

What kind of idea is that?

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo