Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GoG vs Goliath

GOG.com describes the difficulties they have being the "little guy" in the digital distribution world, talking of the problems they have competing with "Goliath," whoever that might be. They point out they can't hold splashy sales since their margins are so thin on their rock-bottom prices, so they are offering a few incentives to get folks to engage in some word-of-mouth advertising for their service. Thanks Morris, who should try and cash in for a free game after passing this along.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Steam Jul 2, 2010, 20:52 The Fox

if you don't care that much about Steam's DRM (most don't)

I care... I'm in a hotel for the next two weeks, and the internet connection is flaky at the moment... would be nice to play a game, but at the moment, I can't get Steam to start in either Online or Offline mode at the moment, so I can't play any of the games in my Steam account. Yay!

Hate to be using something "more intrusive" than Steam... *sigh*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 2, 2010, 10:59 Armengar

Zadig wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 17:38:
I have a quad core system with Windows 7 64 bit and about 75 games on Steam (including KOTOR), and I've never had any recurring crash problems. I've had trouble installing a few properly, but it was usually resolved by just running Steam as admin.

I'm the same. My computer is a train wreck of old drivers too (after finding out what didnt work on x64 7 and trying to GET it to work...)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

27. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 2, 2010, 07:42 Prez

I prefer GoG, but considering my 250+ Steam game catalog, if I am anti-Steam I have a funny way of showing it!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

26. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 23:16 Reactor

So what I'm getting is the only people who buy GoG are those who are anti-Steam?

No. I love buying games off both, but GOG is clearly the better provider of classic games, even if the price is a little higher at times. That said, and as mentioned, Steam doesn't have anywhere near what GOG has. Every now and then Steam gets a game that GOG has, but GOG has soooo many more titles you really can't compare the two.

When you want to buy (sometimes) cheap games that'll rarely be supported, and some of the time not patched, you go to Steam. When you want well supported classics, you go to GOG. When you're in Australia you act as though D2D doesn't exist (because to D2D Australia doesn't exist) and when you can, you buy off Impulse because they're a good bunch of people.

25. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 20:12 Wolfen

Deathbishop wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 18:20:
So what I'm getting is the only people who buy GoG are those who are anti-Steam?

Welcome to the minority I guess.

Thats not entirely true. I shop at both. I find gog to provider a niche service for me. Its got old games i want. I dont like how steam handles old games. GOG on the other hand seems to put some effort forth (along with the community there) to support the products sold there.

Steam is more my modern day route. Im a Steam > GOG > D2D guy. Though my first initial digital games were bought on D2D way back when it was new.

24. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 19:04 Golwar

Deathbishop wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 18:20:

Could it be that you read a different thread? I saw mainly posts which give GoG a higher priority than Steam, not anti-Steam.

Same in my case. I also prefer GoG when possible, yet I own 3x more games at Steam due several reasons.
The prices at GoG are mostly okay, besides those from Ubisoft who request 10 bucks for each.

23. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 18:58 D4rkKnight

Let's stop acting like steam and GoG have the same selection of games.  

22. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 18:20 Deathbishop

21. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 18:00 Jonny

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 16:29:
In my world of online digital purchases the order of priority goes: GOG > Steam > Direct2Drive > Impulse. Everyone else can die. Did you hear me GFWL? I said die!

I go GOG > Gamers Gate > Steam > Impulse. Direct2Drive is way to intrusive to my liking. Gamers Gate is a close 2nd and Steam is a much further back 3rd unless it is an online game.

-Marc

I used to be a huge fan of Gamersgate, until I had a load of things charged to my credit card from it that I never bought. When I e-mailed them to find out what the fuck was going on they just told me they'd had a rash of credit card fraud on the site and I should call the coppers. Call me paranoid, but if I use several sites to buy stuff and only one lets my credit card number slip out then I tend to avoid them in future.

Currently I go GoG>Steam>Impulse>>>>>>>>D2D.

20. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 17:38 Zadig

I have a quad core system with Windows 7 64 bit and about 75 games on Steam (including KOTOR), and I've never had any recurring crash problems. I've had trouble installing a few properly, but it was usually resolved by just running Steam as admin.  

19. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 16:37 fujiJuice

I've purchased several games from GOG, even ones I already own, just because it's easier than sticking the disc in every time and I like their service. Now if they would add Magic Carpet 2 to their site, I would buy around 25,000 copies, since I can't seem to get it to work entirely right with DOSBox.  

18. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 16:29 UConnBBall

In my world of online digital purchases the order of priority goes: GOG > Steam > Direct2Drive > Impulse. Everyone else can die. Did you hear me GFWL? I said die!

I go GOG > Gamers Gate > Steam > Impulse. Direct2Drive is way to intrusive to my liking. Gamers Gate is a close 2nd and Steam is a much further back 3rd unless it is an online game.

-Marc

17. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 16:21 Kxmode

Worth noting Longswd. Thanks for the head's up.  

16. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 16:14 Longswd

The problem with Steam (and which is why I refuse to buy from them anymore) is that they will release older games that won't work on modern OSs/hardware and they will not refund the purchase, not without threats of chargebacks and attention from the States Attorney General's office and negative blog attention. It took me all 3 to get a $10 refund for KOTOR, which crashed every 15 minutes due to some memory leak.

Now you can say that it's the responsibility of Interplay and/or Bioware to support that problem, but they don't support it anymore. Consequently, Steam should not be re-releasing a game that will not be supported and if they do, then they have a ethical (and possibly legal) responsibility to refund that purchase when it won't work.

By forcing me to resort to threats (which I had every intention carrying out, BTW), they've lost my goodwill and all future business.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

15. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 16:01 eRe4s3r

Well the real reason gog has a problem is that not many old games were good I probably have played them all and even the good ones aren't having a lot of replay value nowadays.

Some classics and rare things (mostly cd dos games which at the time were hard to get ;p) excluded

14. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 15:52 rist3903

Holy crap Prez! I was just thinking of the game Master of Magic as I was in the process of reading this forum and you go and mention it. I am shocked and amazed, sir.

That was such a great game.

13. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 14:00 Prez

Everything else being equal, I will buy from GoG before Steam 100 times out of 100. I place a lot of stake in the extras, the support (one area where GoG utterly trounces Steam), and the complete lack of DRM. And yes Steam IS DRM, even if it is relatively unobtrusive 99% of the time.

I will gladly pay more for a game on GoG than for the same game on Steam. That's just me.

The biggest thing keeping me spending more money on Steam than on GoG is the latter's relative dearth of titles as compared to the former.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

12. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 13:18 Zadig

Every consumer wants to pay the lowest possible price for their goods. Steam, especially with their crazy sales, is usually the one offering it.

They have a much larger selection of games, including a lot of the older titles that GoG has, and quite a few of those are currently cheaper on Steam as well. Competing with that is going to be very difficult.

11. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 Deathbishop

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 11:40:
Zadig wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 11:21:
They need a bigger catalog of games, or better prices, to compete coexist with Steam. Charging more for abandonware than Steam charges for modern games isn't going to work in the long run.

How much cheaper do you want them to get?

I think you dismissing their catalog as "abandon-ware" shows you are not really their target audience. They have a ton of classics on there already and will surely get more.

The point though is there are also more than a few titles that are not worth 2 bucks, let alone 10 bucks that they charge for some stuff. Also, if you don't care that much about Steam's DRM (most don't) and you see the XCOM pack for 2 bucks, how does GoG compete with that?

They don't really compete with Steam because Steam doesn't carry all the titles that GoG carries. The ones that Steam does carry I'm sure it's not even close how much gets bought on steam vs gog. It's a niche service that's good at what it provides.

10. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 12:31 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 12:17:
@ Silicon Avatar

That's a fair question. I don't know what kind of 'completist' or classic gaming enthusiast you are, but most people don't have the same hardware setup that they did back when most of these titles shipped. GoG games are guaranteed to work on 32 and 64 bit versions of XP and Vista, and the Win 7 success rate, while not specifically guaranteed on their website, seems to be roughly in the high ninety percentile given the feedback given in the forums. Anyone who has ever tried to get old classics like Master of Magic running on their modern OS and system should immediately recognize the value of this.

Furthermore, they release their games DRM free, which in contrast to what you see from Ubisoft or EA these days is remarkable in its own right. They always release all original material in digital form as well as artwork, avatars, and very often original sound tracks. For the classic completist, this is worth the asking price on its own.

Hope this helps.

He wouldn't be wrong if he said that owning the box means you can just download a ready-to-work copy off a torrent or something though. Most games on GOG are made to work on a modern system through methods anyone could do with access to the files, which if they are on floppies on your shelf might be difficult, but they are on the internet for anyone to grab. Not really immoral or even illegal if you own the game.

Still, I just like having an easy to install and run copy... no fiddling with DosBox settings, just install a go. It works well.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo