Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Roger Ebert - Okay, kids, play on my lawn. Thanks Mike Martinez.
I was a fool for mentioning video games in the first place. I would never express an opinion on a movie I hadn't seen. Yet I declared as an axiom that video games can never be Art. I still believe this, but I should never have said so. Some opinions are best kept to yourself.

Kotaku - Weighing Morality in Gaming.
As Aristotle said, the more a person does the good, the more they like doing the good, and conversely, the more a person does evil, the more they are inclined to continue to do evil. Both reason and experience back up Aristotle' s observation. If a person acts in a pattern of charity, they will become the kind of person who is inclined toward charity. If a person habitually degrades other people, they will find it difficult to think well of someone new they meet. One can make an argument for this easily observed reality from theological, philosophical, psychological, and physical grounds. Given this, perhaps the next evolution of the morality system in games should be one which pushed a player toward a particular choice depending on their tendencies. If the player has thrown someone out of the window the past three times he or she has argued, shouldn't that be what he or she is inclined to do this time?

View
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2010, 15:44 Zyrxil

NicklePop wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 11:29:
I've read Devs who agree with this, that games aren't art. (and really, few are, but there are some ... Bioshock for example I would say is art)
Bioshock has style and a neat story/plot twist, but it's not art. I would say something like Everday the Same (http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/12/browser_game_pick_every_day_th.html) is art.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 1, 11:10 Re: Op Ed nin
  2. Jul 1, 11:29  Re: Op Ed NicklePop
>> 13. Jul 1, 15:44   Re: Op Ed Zyrxil
  7. Jul 1, 12:52  Re: Op Ed Ray Marden
  3. Jul 1, 12:16 Re: Op Ed Tanto Edge
  4. Jul 1, 12:28  Re: Op Ed PropheT
  5. Jul 1, 12:29  Re: Op Ed PHJF
  6. Jul 1, 12:51   Re: Op Ed FloorPie
  8. Jul 1, 12:55 Re: Op Ed Acleacius
  9. Jul 1, 14:15  Re: Op Ed Rigs