Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jul 1, 2010, 13:07 LittleMe

killer_roach wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 01:23:
You're getting into a sticky price fallacy. Keynes would be so proud.

Well obviously I mean adjusted for inflation. If in five years $10,000 only buys a tomato, then we'd have to adjust accordingly. But that doesn't work well since inflation goes up and salaries aren't catching up nearly so fast since we have a digital printing press than can make 100 trillion appear in one day if they want to. So even with inflation, the console price range may stay roughly the same.

There is a long and well established price range for console buyers, and it's around $200-$300. PC gaming is secure again, because the next gen consoles I predict won't be nearly so competitive (subsidized). It's been only the past two years that PC's have really started pulling away, hardware-wise. I don't see any serious grumblings for the next gen consoles either.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2010, 10:40 kimbambaman

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 10:10:
Did I just read that Fable 3 will be done Episodically? FAIL strategy.

You mean the same thing they did with Fable 2? That thing????

Yeah I cant believe they are doing that again. Its all well and good to release the first hour as a demo but I thought the episodic nonsense failed for them. So weird.

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2010, 10:10 nin

You mean the same thing they did with Fable 2? That thing????

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jul 1, 2010, 08:23 Dev

LittleMe wrote on Jun 30, 2010, 20:14:
A four year punch to the stomach for Sony. Never again will they launch a $600 console.

You must not have read any of the arrogant statements by sony execs before and during and after the launch where they were saying stuff like people can and WILL suck it up or get a 2nd job to pay for the console, etc.

9. Re: After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jul 1, 2010, 06:41 space captain

Inflation, maybe?

wrong

when has nintendo ever sold games that cost "over 100$ in today's money!"

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2010, 04:01 Bet

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 02:02:
In addition to the normal retail release. After the normal retail release. They did it for Fable 2, as well.

Still confused as to why they've never ported Fable 2 to PC, if they went to the effort of cutting the game up into pieces to put on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Obviously different efforts involved, but still, if it's about maximizing profits, there's no excuse for it never having been released.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2010, 03:59 Narf2029

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 02:02:
That just makes the purchase decision easier. Soon as the whole thing can be had for $50 or less, I'll get it. Not before.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

6. Re: After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jul 1, 2010, 03:57 Bet

space captain wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 01:52:
Nintendo's done that before, and it did pretty well for them (even with games costing over $100 in today's money!).

wtf are you talking about
Inflation, maybe?

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2010, 02:02 OldScho0l

4. Re: After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jul 1, 2010, 01:52 space captain

Nintendo's done that before, and it did pretty well for them (even with games costing over $100 in today's money!).

wtf are you talking about

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jul 1, 2010, 01:23 killer_roach

LittleMe wrote on Jun 30, 2010, 20:14:
A four year punch to the stomach for Sony. Never again will they launch a $600 console.

Adjusted for inflation, Nintendo's done that before, and it did pretty well for them (even with games costing over $100 in today's money!).

You're getting into a sticky price fallacy. Keynes would be so proud.

2. Re: After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jun 30, 2010, 22:04 RCH

Exactly! The next one will be $800  

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

1. After Nearly Four Years, The PS3 Finally Turns A Profit. Jun 30, 2010, 20:14 LittleMe

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo