Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership

THQ engaged in "very serious discussions" with Jason West and Vince Zampella after the pair parted ways with Activision and Infinity Ward, reports IndustryGamers in an excerpt from their interview with THQ Core Games VP Danny Bilson. West and Zampella's new studio Respawn Entertainment ultimately signed with EA, so it should be no surprise that they were courted by other major publishers. Bilson expresses belief they would have been the best destination because of how developer-friendly they are, and coyly says they will be announcing prominent developer signings over the next six months. Interestingly, the apparent sticking point that prevented them signing Respawn is THQ's insistence on owning all intellectual property. "The only thing we have to have and insist on is ownership of the intellectual property. Thatís sort of the deal breaker for me. So, we have to own the IP, but I believe in the Hollywood model, which is that, the bigger the artist, the more important, the more successful they are, the bigger share they get. Just like in Hollywood. But you know, most of the biggest talents in Hollywood donít own their IPs. It doesnít work that way. My job coming to this company was to build an IP library, which builds value in THQ. So that means having a developer own the IP becomes a deal-breaker," he tells them. ""That is fantastic for them if they can get away with it. They canít come here with that. And I donít need them if thatís the deal, and theyíre not a business I want to be in."

View
9. Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership Jun 30, 2010, 22:07 Ruffiana

The THQ guy is stuck in the old way of thinking that publishers should have as much control as possible...

This is not an old way of thinking, just a different way of thinking. Ownership of the IP is important for THQ. That doesn't necessarily mean they're getting a larger share of the profits. In fact, Respawn will ultimately end up with a smaller share of the profits from their deal with EA specifically because EA doesn't get ownership of the IP.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jun 30, 18:48 Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership Cutter
  2. Jun 30, 19:09 Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership spindoctor
  3. Jun 30, 19:17  Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership Paketep
  4. Jun 30, 19:25   Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership starmonkey
  5. Jun 30, 19:26   Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership Beamer
  6. Jun 30, 19:38    Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership spindoctor
>> 9. Jun 30, 22:07  Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership Ruffiana
  11. Jun 30, 22:20   Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership zirik
  13. Jul 1, 05:45   Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership spindoctor
  7. Jun 30, 19:38 Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership zirik