Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

In Defense of Infinity Ward Splintering - GameZone.
The situation at Infinity Ward obviously caused a lot of stress for the employees and their families, and no one is suggesting thatís a good thing. Nobodyís defending the animosity between the developer and its parent company Activision. But while the separation between Activision and many of Infinity Wardís key employees has been painful, the end result will ultimately be good for the industry. Regardless of what happens to the Infinity Ward name, some of the employees who remained behind will continue to develop quality Call of Duty games or other titles. Even without the key employees who created the franchise, the Infinity Ward team will be able to attract talented individuals and use their experience to continue to make compelling titles. Say what you will about Activision, but the company isnít going to abandon a billion-dollar franchise.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 18:15 Steele Johnson

<comment deleted>  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 16:44 Warskull

Verno wrote on Jun 30, 2010, 14:01:
It takes time for the general public to catch on

The general public doesn't read sites like this or follow this kind of thing unfortunately. They preorder Call of Duty 10: Future Warfare at Wal-mart or Gamestop and go get it on release day.

They'll eventually stop buying it. Either they get bored with it, something else gets their attention, or they finally realize they've been playing the same mediocre game for 6 versions now. Its like those crappy movies made by Friedberg and Seltzer (Scary Movie 4, Epic Movie ect.) It took a while but eventually people stopped going to see them.

The thing with appealing to the lowest common denominator is that eventually something else shiny gets their attention.

9. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 14:01 Verno

It takes time for the general public to catch on

The general public doesn't read sites like this or follow this kind of thing unfortunately. They preorder Call of Duty 10: Future Warfare at Wal-mart or Gamestop and go get it on release day.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

8. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 13:44 Warskull

Verno wrote on Jun 30, 2010, 12:59:
Remains to be seen Tumbler, that stupid map pack made another half billion dollars or whatever for them and that's after all of this mess.

It takes time for the general public to catch on. Look at EA, they were the quintessential evil publisher for a very long time. They destroyed good studios, caused talent to flee, and released poor games. It took quite a bit of time and competitors gaining in strength for them to really feel the impact of it. However, even after their attempts at reform they are still feeling the impact. The EA title makes a lot of gamers wary to purchase a game unless they know it is really good.

You see that with a lot of other games too, you make a crappy sequel and it will sell. However, future games released by that studio will take a hit, even if they are good.

I doubt Activision will ever see MW2 numbers again.

7. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 13:38 Trevellian

That is because unfortunately your average console gamer doesn't have any clue what is going on, because they don't read IGN, or Gamespot or Blues News, and they don't even know that half the employee's at Infinity Ward are gone.

My best friend for example. Had no idea what was going on with infinity ward till I told him, and then kept him updated every time someone left.

Another example, guy i work with, was a huge fan of Modern Warfare on Xbox, thats all he played ALL HE PLAYED. So when MW2 came out obviously it was an autobuy for him. When this whole thing with Infinity Ward went down, he had no idea. I told him, the guys who designed the game had left, most of the employee's had left. And his response was "Yeah but Activision will still put out another Call of Duty right? It'll still be as good and I'll still buy it" He didn't even understand or comprehend the bearing all of those people leaving will have on the series. Yes Treyarch makes great COD games, but it didn't even phase him that MW2 was a inferior product to the original or that the map packs cost him 15 bucks for 3 new maps and 2 rehashes BOTH times.

And this is why I hate Console only gamers. Almost every PC/console gamer I know, isn't quite as oblivious.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

6. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 12:59 Verno

Remains to be seen Tumbler, that stupid map pack made another half billion dollars or whatever for them and that's after all of this mess.  

5. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 12:56 Tumbler

I'm not a big Activision fan either but they seem pretty much immune to punishment unfortunately, they have the one thing that matters in the industry - trucks of money.

I think Activision's punishment is having a generally pessimistic consumer. While CoD: Black Ops looks pretty good I'm hesitant to buy it based on everything with MW2. I liked the MP side of the game but I think the support after launch wasn't good enough and I wish they'd add more to the game besides expensive map packs.

I think everyone was in a BUY IT mood when MW2 came out, I think with CoD Black ops they'll need to deliver an outstanding game just to peak people's interest. Increased competition is a big part of that this year, Spec Ops, Medal of Honor, BFBC2 Vietnam, I think the pie of FPS dollars is going to be heavily divided this year.

The core of the success for these games has been the customization unlocks as you play the game online. The gameplay is changing for the end user during that journey and I think that is why people keep playing. And that simple formula is being picked up by companies all over the place. Blur is a lot of fun because it keeps unlocking stuff as you play, BFBC2 obviously unlocks as you play, Medal of Honor 2. That new transformers game appears to be using the same forumula. What activision needs is another addictive new formula that others don't have because I think they're coming into a market now where a lot of other companies have these online games that are MMO lite type games where a person builds a "character" as they play even if it's just different loadouts and abilities.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 12:37 Verno

That's all true but it's not like any of the other studios under Activision suddenly took off either. Regardless of what was in the works, Bungie had over a month to call it off after the IW stuff went public.

I'm not a big Activision fan either but they seem pretty much immune to punishment unfortunately, they have the one thing that matters in the industry - trucks of money.

3. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 11:54 the_culture

Activision signed Bungie to a 10 year deal a month

Wasn't this in the works for many months beforehand? And isn't Bungie's deal with Activision as publisher only? Not really the same as being owned by Activision like Infinity Ward.

2. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 11:47 Verno

Activision signed Bungie to a 10 year deal a month afterward dude. Sad as it is, money talks.  

1. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 11:09 Ruffiana

Yeah, good luck attracting 'talented individuals' with this drama-fest looming over you. Add to that all of the crap that Kotick has said regarding corporate culture and Activision/Infinity Ward is looking to be one of the least attractive places to land a job.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/4/14/

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo