Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions

PC Gamer highlights the coverage from the upcoming print issue of PC Gamer UK (on-sale Thursday), where they preview the Torchlight MMORPG in the works at Runic Games. They quote Runic president Travis Baldree saying "our vision is to have an MMO that plays as close to single player as we can get it." He also says the game will include microtransactions, but that he will not be taking advantage of this himself: "I will never, ever buy a microtransaction item," he tells them. "Im that kind of player. And the game has to be enjoyable for me, too. We dont want our monetisation stuff to offer ways to skip the game because the game is boring."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jul 1, 2010, 13:07 Eldaron Imotholin

justice7 wrote on Jun 30, 2010, 11:09:
What i'd like to see is the mold where MMORPG's have monthly fee's. With processing power, storage and bandwidth getting cheaper, it should be becoming more feasible to do this.

Guildwars / Guildwars 2 can do it.

As far as I know Torchlight MMO won't have a monthly fee and it'll be free for people who already bought Torchlight those months ago for singleplayer.

..atleast that's what I heard in an interview when the game came out.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 11:09 justice7

What i'd like to see is the mold where MMORPG's have monthly fee's. With processing power, storage and bandwidth getting cheaper, it should be becoming more feasible to do this.

Guildwars / Guildwars 2 can do it.

18. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 10:16 Elessar

Also /agree with the above. I thought Torchlight was cute and fun, but coop would have elevated it further.

As for the MMO, it's going to need A LOT of item variety and a huge world to make this work. Unless they truly think they can fulfill their ambitions, they should stick with a more robust sequel that has multiplayer. Just my 2 cents on that.

I also don't see the point of contradicting a feature of your game. So you don't like microtransactions yourself, but you're willing to cash grab anyway? Dubious indeed.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

17. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 08:38 Undocumented Alien

Torchlight 2 + 4 player MP COOP + Full Price MSRP = Success.

I'm not so sure I would really care about a SP centric MMO myself, as well I'm sure that the micro-transaction model will hold high interest areas/modules hostage behind $$$.

I certainly do understand that this is just a continuation of Mythos from the Flagshipped days, and that's really to bad. This game has MP COOP written all over it and I'm sure they would sell more copies of it in that format (non-MMO).

Their game, they can do what ever they want with it...

16. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 08:37 Wallshadows

I will never, ever buy a microtransaction item," he tells them. "But I sure love the money we'll get from it!"

Fixed.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

15. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 05:35 Grumpy Sod

Prez wrote on Jun 30, 2010, 03:42:
This game so naturally lends itself to Titan Quest-style MP that it makes no sense to skip over that and go for a MMO with microtransactions, especially when the company's own CEO hates microtransactions. This is beyond dubious.

The taint of Flagship is subtle in it's manifestation...

14. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 03:42 Prez

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 21:23:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 20:22:
As a single-player gamer I like the idea of an MMO being "as singleplayer as possible" but then I would ask myself "why is this an MMO?"

Yeah, exactly. I still fire up Torchlight every now and then, but it really does lack multiplayer. Why not just make a game in the Diablo mold where MP is concerned?

Creston

Agreed with all of the above. I hate MMO's so the chance of me playing this is less than zero, as much as I totally grooved to Torchlight (5 bucks on a Steam sale, too!). This game so naturally lends itself to Titan Quest-style MP that it makes no sense to skip over that and go for a MMO with microtransactions, especially when the company's own CEO hates microtransactions. This is beyond dubious.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 03:31 Cthulhu

Slashman wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 23:10:
Dungeon Runners should be warning enough to people who think that hack/slash dungeon crawlers make for a game people want in an MMO setting.
Hey now, there was far more to Dungeon Runners getting canned then it's perceived shortcomings in the gameplay department..

Did you mention that after purchasing ncSoft basically abandoned support for Dungeon Runners when AION was late beta/early release by slashing it's dev team ultimately down to 1 full time person and 2 half time? Then, when the membership waned because of the staff shakeup causing fewer and fewer patches/"Chunks" from coming as often, that set the game up for nothing but certain & eventual failure..

Check this out for a bit of MMORPG history.

http://www.massively.com/category/dungeon-runners/

" - Stephen Nichols, DR's Producer and Lead Programmer, released a statement detailing the closure. He certainly doesn't butter it up at all as he explains that the game just isn't turning a profit, regardless of their efforts over the last year. They're now down to a 3-man team, which is near impossible for any studio to use in maintaining a game"

I spent the better part of 2 years playing this game from just after the closed BETA all the way up to the last second swerve on New Years Day....

It wasn't Dungeon Runner's fault that it's new Korean Overlords decided to focus on WoW's sloppy seconds by pumping a lot of advertising dollars in to AION in the weeks following up to the release instead of polishing what had shaped up to be one of the better F2P games out there for it's time.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- Cthulhu fhtagn: 479'S, 12643'W Cthulhu

12. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 03:24 BobBob

All RPGs are tedious and boring, fact.  

11. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 30, 2010, 01:42 Mead

elefunk wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 23:37:
DangerDog wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 20:17:
Sorry guys, your single player game is amusing but nothing earth shattering.

Since when are $20 budget titles released by small teams after being made in less than a year ever supposed to be "earth shattering"?

Isn't the entire purpose of games to be, well, amusing? Entertaining?
Welcome to Blue's, where if it doesn't make you come just thinking about it, it's the crappiest crap that was ever crapped.

10. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 23:37 elefunk

DangerDog wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 20:17:

Since when are $20 budget titles released by small teams after being made in less than a year ever supposed to be "earth shattering"?

Isn't the entire purpose of games to be, well, amusing? Entertaining?

9. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 23:32 PHJF

Because Torchlight is nothing but a continuation of Mythos, which was multiplayer.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 23:10 Slashman

They could do some work on the classes too. The skills pale in comparison to Titan Quest. In fact...I still play TQ every now and then. So many combinations...

My major question is:

What aspect of Torchlight ever seemed to beg for it to be an MMO? Engaging story? No. Fascinating world lore? No. Well fleshed out NPCs? No. I just don't get why an MMO.

Dungeon Runners should be warning enough to people who think that hack/slash dungeon crawlers make for a game people want in an MMO setting.

7. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 22:42 ColoradoHoudini

I'm with you boys..
just give me a 4-player game I can play online through a simple interface and on the LAN.. and I'm good.
expand the playable area.. golden.

6. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 21:23 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 20:22:
As a single-player gamer I like the idea of an MMO being "as singleplayer as possible" but then I would ask myself "why is this an MMO?"

Yeah, exactly. I still fire up Torchlight every now and then, but it really does lack multiplayer. Why not just make a game in the Diablo mold where MP is concerned?

Creston

5. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 20:43 Cutter

Yeah, Torchlight was just lacking. If the single player couldn't keep people entertained for long, what hope would a MOG have? I have to agree, bettr off to go for Torchlight 2 and try and make that much better instead, or at least first.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 20:31 PHJF

Massively Singleplayer Offline Role Playing Game  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 20:28 nin

"our vision is to have an MMO that plays as close to single player as we can get it."

Then why bother? Why not focus on making Torchlight 2?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 20:22 StingingVelvet

1. Re: Torchlight MMORPG & Microtransactions Jun 29, 2010, 20:17 DangerDog

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo