Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Metro 2034 Revealed

THQ is planning on going underground again with Metro 2034, an upcoming sequel to Metro 2033, their post-apocalyptic first-person shooter, reports Computer and Video Games, saying the game will include 3D support. "We're showing Metro 2033 in 3D right now, which Nvidia is showing as one of their key demo products," THQ's core games VP, Danny Bilson tells them. "We're going to be doing a 3D version of that on Metro 2034 - the sequel. And there will be some engineering costs there, but that's in our lowest cost centre in the world. Those games are unbelievably reasonable, they're built in Kiev." Thanks joao.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jul 5, 2010, 07:46 Pankin

Krovven wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 15:51:
I'd like to know who the people are that want to wear the heavy 3d glasses tethered to a cord, can actually wear this and play a game for more than 10min and not have the cord pissing them off and not have their eyes bothering them.

I tried 3D Resident Evil 5 at PAX last year, after a few minutes I was done and had zero interest in ever playing 3D games.

I used to have one of those VFX1 VR Headsets from Forte back in '96 or there-abouts. It's pretty much the way Krovven describes it except, back then, LCD screens could only be miniaturized so far...which meant the resolution could only go as high as 640x480. But for 1996, that's in the basic neighborhood of parity.

I played System Shock and Falcon 3 with that thing strapped to my melon. It was great to be able to tilt your head back to look at the ceiling of Citadel Station or twist your head around to look around the cockpit of your F16.

But you couldn't do it longer than 20 minutes or so, your eyes would get so tired! It was expensive too. The entire rig: headset, PCI card, & "cyberpuck" was over $1000. I guess that's why it never took off back then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jul 1, 2010, 15:45 Dan M

Ray Marden wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 17:15:
If they could just evolve it a bit, they'd have a fairly good game. It really screams out for a larger world to play in with more opportunities to explore a hinted at richness.

Yeah, I feel as though they should keep going with the Stalker similarities (I don't know the whole story about that) and mimic their open-world gameplay. Being able to explore and have random, unscripted encounters would be fantastic.

23. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 20:05 Golwar

... but that's in our lowest cost centre in the world. Those games are unbelievably reasonable, they're built in Kiev.

Odd, I would have expected that among so many comments someone would have shared his thoughts about this part.

Am I the only who is surprised that THQ always has to mention how cheap it is?
Must be a new kind of promotion: "Listen everyone, we found the way to rescue PC gaming! It might be a little bit inhuman but at least piracy hurts us less."

Yes, I exaggerate. But still ...

22. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 17:15 Ray Marden

The game screams potential, but the actual game is fairly lackluster.

It isn't bad, but it has a ton of short comings as well as a fair number of rough edges. If they could just evolve it a bit, they'd have a fairly good game. It really screams out for a larger world to play in with more opportunities to explore a hinted at richness.

Otherwise, you just head down the corridor shooting at the same generic monster...
I just didn't feel like I achieved much in that game.
Hopeful,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

21. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 16:55 Grumpy Sod

It's included in the big THQ pack, which is already on sale. I picked it up on day one. That many games for that little was a no brainer, even with me owning five of them already. The entire pack costs little more than the DoW2/Chaos Rising pack did on sale day, which made me wonder why the DoW2 pack got reduced at all.  

20. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 16:27 Jdrez

Techie714 wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 13:37:
I'm hoping that 2033 goes on sale during the big summer sale on Steam so I can pick it up. I heard the game was actually "pretty good".

I'd wait for $10 personally. Game was buggy as all hell for me. Audio annoyed me to near suicide because in a room full of people you could hear everyone talking at once and it drowned out the person you were meant to hear.

And as others mentioned the fov was terrible even after the widescreen patch.

Plus that whole gimmick of running out of air all the time was really annoying.

19. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 16:25 Zyrxil

ASeven wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 15:03:
Shame about all the controversy on this. These guys left the STALKER team and ripped off technology and ideas, there's a huge lawsuit going on between both teams.

Heck if you played both games you can see a lot of similarities in ideas and even the graphic engine.

Game dev drama! Links to articles about this?

18. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 16:05 Wolfen

Drayth wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 14:22:
I'm all for the 3D, keep it truckin'

Agreed.

17. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 15:51 Krovven

I'd like to know who the people are that want to wear the heavy 3d glasses tethered to a cord, can actually wear this and play a game for more than 10min and not have the cord pissing them off and not have their eyes bothering them.

I tried 3D Resident Evil 5 at PAX last year, after a few minutes I was done and had zero interest in ever playing 3D games.

16. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 15:43 Surf

Great game, really liked it. Aint no Stalker though.  

15. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 15:21 JayDeath

ASeven wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 15:03:
Heck if you played both games you can see a lot of similarities in ideas and even the graphic engine.

Yeah, the engine still sucks in 2033. You need one helluva rig to play this game with all the bells and whistles and even then it's still choppy gameplay. I wasn't impressed. I'm glad I borrowed and didn't buy this one.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

14. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 15:03 ASeven

Shame about all the controversy on this. These guys left the STALKER team and ripped off technology and ideas, there's a huge lawsuit going on between both teams.

13. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 15:00 Cutter

Will that 3D bullshit please just fucking DIE already?

Agreed 100%.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 14:55 Dan M

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 13:53:
It's more than pretty good I thought, it is a very well crafted and unique experience...

Agreed - you can sense that a lot of heart has gone into this project. The music, the level design, the graphics (which dropped my jaw more than a few times), all of the little touches, they all come together in such a cohesive way.

I hope they tighten up the actual gameplay for this next one, though, and maybe work on making the scripting feel a little less intertwined with the action sequences...

11. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 14:55 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 14:49:
spindoctor wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 14:25:
it is a very well crafted and unique experience that is very PC-focused.

It's a fun game, yes. PC focused? Not even close.

Where do I begin? How about how the game renders your mouse and keyboard useless if you have a controller plugged into your system... until you disconnect the controller, other input devices are unusable. Or how the FOV is set to 45 degrees. Or how the game has no saving system whatsoever apart from checkpoints only. Those checkpoints are always on the main path so even if you did decide to explore a side tunnel for example, you could end up losing 15-20 minutes of played time if you died because the developers didn't bother to put in checkpoints there. How about how you can see all sorts of video settings in the menu but you can't actually change any one of them until you go out and edit a cfg that has to be made read only in order to prevent the game returning to GUI settings. Or maybe the obviously designed-for-console buy menu where you flip through items like you are browsing the XMB or something.

This game is designed for consoles. The PC port is decent, but it is not a 'made for PC' game.

I meant gameplay wise... it is slower paced, atmospheric, centered on immersion.

The only things from your list that bother me are the settings being grouped together and quick save though.

The buy menu bothers me too. Why make it so annoying on the PC? Those porting issues and the fact that it's very much a rails shooter are the main drawbacks to the game. It's not bad, but I'd like to see them do better with the next one.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 14:49 StingingVelvet

spindoctor wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 14:25:

Where do I begin? How about how the game renders your mouse and keyboard useless if you have a controller plugged into your system... until you disconnect the controller, other input devices are unusable. Or how the FOV is set to 45 degrees. Or how the game has no saving system whatsoever apart from checkpoints only. Those checkpoints are always on the main path so even if you did decide to explore a side tunnel for example, you could end up losing 15-20 minutes of played time if you died because the developers didn't bother to put in checkpoints there. How about how you can see all sorts of video settings in the menu but you can't actually change any one of them until you go out and edit a cfg that has to be made read only in order to prevent the game returning to GUI settings. Or maybe the obviously designed-for-console buy menu where you flip through items like you are browsing the XMB or something.

This game is designed for consoles. The PC port is decent, but it is not a 'made for PC' game.

I meant gameplay wise... it is slower paced, atmospheric, centered on immersion.

The only things from your list that bother me are the settings being grouped together and quick save though.

9. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 14:28 Burrito of Peace

Did they fix the problem that if you had more than one monitor plugged in, it would load solely to a black screen?  

8. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 14:25 spindoctor

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

7. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 14:22 Drayth

I'm all for the 3D, keep it truckin'  

6. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 14:11 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 14:06:
I'm waiting for 2033 to hit 20 bucks, but it's cool that it did well enough that they are able to do a sequel.

That said, ugh. "HAI GUYZ, LETZ JUMP ON TEH 3D BANDWAGUNS!"

Will that 3D bullshit please just fucking DIE already?

Creston

Don't worry, it will... I think movies and such need to have a 3D fad every 20 years just to remind more casual people they exist.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo