Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

70% of Activision Profits Non-Console

There's more from Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick in a semi-recent interview on WSJ.com (you can view the full article through Google Search) answering questions about the state of the game business. An interesting tidbit is where he explains their business has fewer fluctuations than in the past because of how much of their profits come from "non-console-based video games." Word is: "Today, probably 70% of our operating profit comes from non-console-based video games. So, while you might see a month-to-month change or volatility against expectations, that doesn't really get us too concerned." Gamasutra contacted Activision to clarify whether this 70% figure includes things like console DLC, and were told it does not, so that seems to represent PC and iPhone game sales, and more significantly, World of Warcraft subscriptions. Thanks joao via Computer and Video Games.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 30, 2010, 10:53 dryden555

Sorry but "crazy profit" really is the correct phrasing regarding WOW profits.

Server maintanence in no way justifies the monthly cost to users. There's scalability with very large servers and that reduces cost in so many ways.

Blizzard charges 10 bucks (or whatever in other currencies) because they can.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 24, 2010, 06:26 Dev

Holy crap, 70% non console? I would have thought it was the other way around, 70% console, even INCUDING WoW.

So, WTF, why does it seem Kotick is always against PC gamers, if they are the ones making up the majority of thier profit (assuming that the iphone game sales aren't the majority).

dryden555 wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 13:20:
World of Warcraft
+ 10 ridiculous bucks a month from every subscriber on the planet
= crazy profit.
Not quite, some countries have varied pricing schemes like all the chinese gold farmers. Plus I think they have internet cafe type things going on too in other countries. Plus, they have to pay for servers/bandwidth etc. But yes, its a significant profit as seen by thier statements.

25. dont hurt yourself Jun 23, 2010, 21:02 space captain

a chimp is more coherent than that  
Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 19:58 Acleacius

Guess I will buy WotLK when Cataclysm is released price should finally drop. Never been interested in paying full price think it's currently $37 US.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 16:52 sir

With respect to the relationship between Activision and Blizzard, Activision is the gaming equivalent of Heather Mills, only with less wooden leg.  

22. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 16:16 zirik

soon to join the rank of WoW is a modern warfare MMO. who needs to make new games when they can make gamers subscribe to play an old one forever!  

21. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 15:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Jdrez wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 14:08:
WoW isn't a game. It's a form of slavery.
No it's close to a properly functioning skinner box as you can get.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 15:51 Talisorn

I astounds me that people are willing to listen to BK considering the amount of bullshit spin that comes out his mouth. Then I realize, he's not talking to us; he's talking to shareholders and finance people who know and care nothing about games.

I do wonder if these shenanigans piss off the Blizzard execs.

19. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 15:34 Pete

You guys are funny, both bashing and defending WoW. I don't really have anything to add to this discussion, I just find it funny.  
Doin' it Big

18. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 14:57 Kxmode

Jdrez wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 14:08:
Kajetan wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 09:36:
InBlack wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 09:34:
WOW who would have thought?
But, but, but ... isn't the PC dead as a gaming platform????

And single player games is a form of slavery where your owner constantly changes. Your point?

17. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 14:44 Beelzebud

I love how the console users attempt to explain this off by suggesting that somehow WoW shouldn't count.

Is it not a "real" game?

This would be like taking the most popular game on the Xbox360 and saying, "well if you forget that, then the xbox360 isn't popular at all."

16. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 14:28 creatorswhim

Do you guys ever think that maybe it was Blizzard who bought themselves a publisher, and Bobby Kotick's job is to fill in the schedule between warcraft/starcraft releases?

That would explain why Infinity Ward got decapitated - their success was a threat to Blizzard, rather than the management of Activision.

15. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 14:08 Jdrez

Kajetan wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 09:36:
InBlack wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 09:34:
WOW who would have thought?
But, but, but ... isn't the PC dead as a gaming platform????

14. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 13:31 Kxmode

dryden555 wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 13:20:
World of Warcraft
= crazy profit.

Activision has NOTHING to do with World of Warcraft or Blizzard's tremendous success. They're leeching off Blizzard's success and profits.

13. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 13:20 dryden555

World of Warcraft
= crazy profit.

12. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 13:08 Yosemite Sam

You can just imagine the gears in BKs head spinning away dreaming about the COD user base paying a monthly fee, probably totally consumed with that idea, and will try to implement it anyway he can.

EDIT heh it would explain sundays story, I can imagine hes so consumed with that idea he actually belives "Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD" probably why you can "Talk to Infinaty Ward" everyone on the inside is probably telling him hes out of his mind and hes no no they want it I know they want it, just set up a hotline and youll see, youll see, they want it.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2010, 13:34.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

11. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 12:33 Kxmode

World of Warcraft isn't your baby Activision it belongs to Blizzard. Stop trying to claim something that isn't yours.  

10. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 12:17 Cutter

Yeah, what percentage is it without Blizzard?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 11:08 RenownWolf

Just remember guys, this is Profit, not revenue.

But yeah, including wow is a bit unfair, though it shows that the consoles by making certain limitations within their platforms (completely artifical: no kb/mouse, xbox live requirements) they are giving up on potential income.

http://www.renownwolf.com

8. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 10:57 Muscular Beaver

Especially MMOs like that one.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo