Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

It Came from E3 2010, Part 17

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 24, 2010, 11:55 Cram

Nice. I had a great laugh at that because of how true it is. One of the reasons I was sold on Quake2 back during its game magazine previews in 1996 or so was the information about enemy AI. There was some cool stuff going on there that had never been seen in an FPS before. It all mostly ended up being true. I'll never forget this one encounter when I fired the Railgun at a Gunner, the Gunner ducked and avoided the railgun, but also fired 3 grenades in my face in the process. I did not live. It was ridiculous. Turns out that is part of their AI not some random fluke.

That was 13 years ago. The enemies in Rage from two video previews I've watched now look no smarter than the Gunner/Berserkers of Quake2. I'm sure they will be, but again I've seen nothing yet that shows that. The Half Elf nailed it with his description of what has been seen so far.

For sh*ts and giggles, here's the Quake2 bestiary that also does an EXCELLENT job covering the AI of every enemy.

http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameInfo.Detail&id=3&game=5

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 06:17:
from what I saw it still suffers from ID AI issues. Either they ran right up to you and attacked, or got line of sight and attacked. Yeah they did a few flips, but saying over and over 'each group of baddies have their own signature moved' doesn't sell me on it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 24, 2010, 06:17 The Half Elf

It's a ID game. Which means it's 90% tech demo, 10% game. While the game looks nice and has indoor/outdoor areas, from what I saw it still suffers from ID AI issues. Either they ran right up to you and attacked, or got line of sight and attacked. Yeah they did a few flips, but saying over and over 'each group of baddies have their own signature moved' doesn't sell me on it.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 23, 2010, 20:22 Fion

PHJF wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 15:33:
Forgive me if I'm wrong but "jumping on the bandwagon" would mean praising Rage... like everybody else...

Not on this forum it wouldn't.

5. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 23, 2010, 20:21 Fion

I don't know if they were playing PC or xbox but I wouldn't doubt they were saying 'xbox' and playing 'pc'. Thats what the Crysis 2 demo was, played on the PC but the demonstrator was telling everyone it was on the xbox. Typical E3 overblown hype.

As to Rage, it was absolutely the most impressive thing at E3. Only Portal got my attention and impressed me as much.

4. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 23, 2010, 16:19 Cram

Before I decided to reply I decided to re-watch the 12 minute IGN Gameplay interview with Tim Willits.

Tim Willits IGN Preview

First observation was that they were playing the PC version (almost 100% certain it's the PC version) using an Xbox Controller which IMO has been a bit of a shady thing a lot of these previews have been doing. Tech5 at 1080 whatever on a 360, I wonder if that will be even possible.

I have never been disappointed with an ID developed game. I have no doubt this game will be fun and probably be worthy of being called a AAA title. I will also most likely buy it, if only because again I have enjoyed all solely ID developed titles (hopping onboard the ID game bandwagon).

That said, this game does not blow me away, at least it has not yet. Certainly not like it has every game site and non-credible poll that fanboy's vote for the best highest praise option and trolls vote for the worst option. The graphics look nice, but graphics alone don't do much for me anymore. They are certainly not substantially better than other games on the market out even right now. I do understand the some of the potential of Tech5, and it appears cool. As for gameplay, there is nothing here I haven't seen or played to death already over the years gaming. Apocalyptic wasteland/sewers/mutants/beaten down towns, been there. Racing and killing, been there. Basic fps elements as shown in this preview, been done to death. What I like to see is more of the physics capabilities behind the engine, as well as how else the environment can effect all forms of gameplay. Electrified water...you know...wow big deal we've seen that in games for years. I'm also not saying the only way a game will blow me away is if it's completely original. Complete originality is almost impossible now, but it feels like I just finished playing a couple games recently that feel very similar to what I saw in this preview.

So I have not seen what has made this game receive the accolades it has, I must assume it has to do with Tech5. Furthermore, I'm worried about the way Tim sidelined the question about Multiplayer. He almost sounded nervous, like he knew we wouldn't be too pleased with the answer(s).

If there are other previews out there I should check out that someone here knows about that does a better job showing the game, please hit me up with a link.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2010, 16:25.

3. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 23, 2010, 15:33 PHJF

Forgive me if I'm wrong but "jumping on the bandwagon" would mean praising Rage... like everybody else...

It looks OK at best, and it's hardly very notable being the best game of this year's E3.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 23, 2010, 14:52 Wallshadows

Don't worry, most can't think for themselves and jump on whatever bandwagon seems to be popular at the time.

It must be awesome to live a life on a leash.

1. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 17 Jun 23, 2010, 10:55 Fion

It seems raged just about blew everyone at E3 away. It tops a variety of 'best of E3' lists and in the 'vote for your own' it has a solid lead.

The only folks that seem unimpressed are on this forum. But that is typical.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo