Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale

Steam News notes that it's the tenth anniversary of the release of Deus Ex, ION Storm's highly regarded action/RPG. To celebrate, they are offering a 75% discount on the Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, Deus Ex: Invisible War or the Deus Ex Collection, which bundles the two games.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 24, 2010, 01:18 Beamer

Bought both.
Figured I'd been meaning to go back to Deus Ex (and see if it runs on the netbook, haha.) Since I have no clue which enormous, dusty spindle has the CD, this works nicely.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 17:34 wrigleyvillain

More here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235278

(and this guy prefers DX9; worth reading the whole 5 page thread)

18. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 15:59 jimnms

Ahnteis wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 02:26:
These links may be useful:
Reddit guide

Other guide

I haven't read all of them yet, so this may just be a repeat of the above:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235278

Steam Profile

17. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 09:00 Zadig

I remember trying to get it to run on a P1 with 16mb TNT card, before realizing an upgrade was mandatory.

I'd disagree about the lack of influence.. Many players still love it; the game is almost universally praised. The problems stem from the game itself: an interesting story with a lot of twists, levels that were small enough to be focused but large enough to give the player room to maneuver and reward exploration, and a skill system so the player could get the best weapons immediately but not be very good with them.

It's much easier for developers to cut all that and make a rail shooter where you play the prophesied chosen one/last hope for mankind.

16. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 08:48 Rosco

Ahnteis wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 02:26:
Reddit guide

Other guide

Great links, bears repeating. I used both to replay the games recently.

Consoles are schwag.

15. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 07:27 CeeJay

This offer is only valid today (June 23rd) though.

If you missed the offer , then GamersGate has the same offer on Deus Ex, and their offer seems to last all week.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

14. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 03:57 ForgedReality

You know, I very much enjoyed both games. But I do agree that the first Deus Ex was far, far superior. However, don't you guys think that if the first game never existed, the second would have seemed rather awesome to you? IW had big shoes to fill. The fact that it was a letdown by comparison should tell you that. It wasn't a bad game, it was just bad compared to its predecessor--well, I wouldn't even say "bad," just "not quite as good."  

13. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 02:26 Ahnteis

Reddit guide

Other guide

12. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 01:42 StingingVelvet

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 23, 2010, 00:48:
Bumpy wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 23:55:
So Invisible War is pretty much crap but were community mods or hacks made for the game which fixed complaints about it to make it tolerable to play?

Like Creston said, it's perfectly playable as is; it just pales in comparison to the original. The only real mod that was developed for it was John P.'s Community Texture Pack, which upgrades the low-res, clearly-made-for-xbox-memory-limitations textures. The biggest problem with the game are the absolutely minuscule levels, which isn't something a modder can fix without completely redoing the game.

Indeed. The game is very playable, and compared to many ports today I would even call it a good PC port, though as I recall performance back then was a killer. Still, the problems with the game are not in the port, the bugs or the interface, the problems are in the small levels and loss of many RPG elements.

Mass Effect 2 ditched RPG elements and made itself better, but Deus Ex IW just feels like a worse game.

That said I still enjoy the game very much as a cyberpunk shooter.

11. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 00:48 Scottish Martial Arts

Bumpy wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 23:55:
So Invisible War is pretty much crap but were community mods or hacks made for the game which fixed complaints about it to make it tolerable to play?

Like Creston said, it's perfectly playable as is; it just pales in comparison to the original. The only real mod that was developed for it was John P.'s Community Texture Pack, which upgrades the low-res, clearly-made-for-xbox-memory-limitations textures. The biggest problem with the game are the absolutely minuscule levels, which isn't something a modder can fix without completely redoing the game.

10. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 00:33 Wowbagger_TIP

And 10 years already?!? I can remember playing through the game for the first time like it was yesterday. You never forget your first time. Those were the best few days of my gaming life.

Same here. It was an awesome game. I remember that first mission through Battery Park vividly. I must have played that mission 30 times over the next couple years, just trying different things and seeing what would happen.

I'd like to hear about any mods too. For either game. I remember there was some graphics mod for the first game, but not sure if there were any other mods, or anything for the second game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 00:21 Acleacius

His comments will tell you why:
I disagree with him, there is no way Hard Core Developer Fans told them to do that, no way. Too bad about his relationship, but the story about DXIW, is bullshit. We already know it was Warren who wanted that stupid Optical inventory for example becasue he tried to do it in DX.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 23, 2010, 00:04 mag

Overon wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 22:07:
If you are thinking of paying 2.50 for invisible war don't. Take it from the lead developer. His comments will tell you why:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

I never saw that, Overon! That would be so heartening if either of those guys still made games. They actually realized some of the things that they did wrong--that errors they perceived in DX were actually good things.

Blacksite Area 51 doesn't count. Epic Mickey doesn't count.

7. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 22, 2010, 23:55 Bumpy

6. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 22, 2010, 23:22 StingingVelvet

I played both Invisible War and Thief 3 recently on Win7 64bit and never had one problem. People always seem to blame to the OS for their troubles without researching the issue much.  

5. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 22, 2010, 23:11 Rosco

Umbragen wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 22:52:
Invisible War is, as stated above, worth $2.50, but since it uses the same engine as Thief 3, good luck getting it to run stable on new operating systems, even XP tends blue screen occasionally.

I just played through it recently on Vista, and I did not have a single issue with it. It played perfectly with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory and a GeForce GTS 250. It never crashed, ran flawlessly.

Consoles are schwag.

4. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 22, 2010, 23:05 Riker

Umbragen wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 22:52:
Ten years - how little games have progressed since then. I thought Deus Ex was going to redefine gaming, boy was I wrong. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have put down the mouse and taken up knitting. Wait, Warren's working on a Mickey Mouse game! Yawn.

I'm right there with ya... I for sure thought Deus Ex would have a huge influence on other games, and it ended up having so very little. So disappointing.

And 10 years already?!? I can remember playing through the game for the first time like it was yesterday. You never forget your first time. Those were the best few days of my gaming life.

3. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 22, 2010, 22:52 Umbragen

Ten years - how little games have progressed since then. I thought Deus Ex was going to redefine gaming, boy was I wrong. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have put down the mouse and taken up knitting. Wait, Warren's working on a Mickey Mouse game! Yawn.

Invisible War is, as stated above, worth $2.50, but since it uses the same engine as Thief 3, good luck getting it to run stable on new operating systems, even XP tends blue screen occasionally.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2010, 22:57.

2. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 22, 2010, 22:39 Creston

Eh, the game is easily worth 2.50. It's not as good as Deus Ex, but then again, seeing as how many people see Deus Ex as (one of) the best game(s) of all time, that was a really high bar to cross anyways.

It's fun the first time through, though it takes a bit of time to get started, and well worth the anniversary price.

I can't believe DE is already TEN years old. Damn. I feel old.

Creston

1. Re: Deus Ex Anniversary, Sale Jun 22, 2010, 22:07 Overon

If you are thinking of paying 2.50 for invisible war don't. Take it from the lead developer. His comments will tell you why:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo