Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: etc. UK Game tax breaks scrapped… Jun 22, 2010, 17:23 DG

I dislike subsidies unless the subsidies are for a specific purpose and that is what they are linked to. So encouraging game development in the UK creates jobs, but why does a game company get a subsidy for creating 20 jobs and another company in another industry not get a subsidy for creating 20 jobs?

The justification for their receiving some of MY money is for creating 20 more jobs and both have achieved it, so I fail to see why one should be favoured over the other. It's arbitrary and does nothing more than incite a battle of subsidies with UK and Canada trying to outdo each other on how much money they can throw at a corporation and their private shareholders.

That said, I'm not sure how far the subsidy had progressed and it is wrong to promise one thing, allow people to base decisions on that and then go and sweep it out from under them. If some companies have gone ahead and made investments with the subsidies playing a significant part of their decision they can rightfully consider themselves cheated.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: etc. UK Game tax breaks scrapped… Jun 22, 2010, 12:05 roguebanshee

VSBM wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 11:16:
Ubisoft Knows "Exactly Where It's Going" For Assassin's Creed 3 Location

The bargain bin?
You're quite generous there...

4. Re: etc. UK Game tax breaks scrapped… Jun 22, 2010, 11:16 Nameless Again

Ubisoft Knows "Exactly Where It's Going" For Assassin's Creed 3 Location

The bargain bin?

3. Re: etc. UK Game tax breaks scrapped… Jun 22, 2010, 11:04 Jonny

it will be interesting to hear him justify to the same industry he so willingly embraced why the decision has been made to drop subsidies.

"Dear games industry, we're flat broke because those same Labour assholes who promised you the tax break couldn't stop spending all our money."

How's that for a justification?

2. Re: etc. Jun 22, 2010, 11:03 Mr. Tact

I know exactly where Ubisoft can put AC3.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: etc. Jun 22, 2010, 10:31 nin

Boot Disk: Clive Barker's Undying - Big Download…

I keep hoping Undying might show up on GOG.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo