Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)?

Microsoft may be considering a more concerted effort to bolster gaming on Windows, according to indications in an internal Fable III Q&A in the hands of Kotaku (thanks joao). The document, prepared for Microsoft spokespersons, poses a question you would think was penned by a cynical game journalist, asking: "Does 'Fable III' on Windows signal a larger reinvestment by Microsoft in PC gaming? How is this different from the previous times you've announced a reinvestment in PC gaming and not quite come through with a robust offering?" It is quite encouraging to see that Redmond seems to recognize that they have not really followed through on previously announced plans to reinvigorate PC gaming, and while their answer to their own question is not as encouraging as the query itself, we can still hold out hope that they are looking to under-promise and over-deliver this time, instead of the opposite. Here's the answer:

In terms of revenue, Windows is far and away the largest gaming platform in the world, so it's an incredibly important part of Microsoft's business. From core games like "Fable III" to casual, social and Facebook titles, more gaming happens on Windows than anywhere else. Windows 7 is a world-class gaming platform, and you can bet Microsoft has a vested interest in using it as a platform for amazing first party content. "Fable III" on Windows as well as Xbox 360 this holiday is a great first step, and we'll have more news for you later this summer.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 22:09 Kxmode

Windows should be adequate enough to be a gaming platform, not GFWL; which is nothing more than a horribly buggy platform on top of a platform.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 18:11 Simulant

When the Windows games stop flowing, I switch 100% to Linux and I'm taking the rest of my family with me.

42. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 14:49 Dev

MS: Maybe if you step out of the way and remove windows live, that would help your sales of PC games.

Live always gets in the way of me enjoying my games.

And as long as we are talking fable, where's the PC port of fable 2?

41. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 10:04 Verno

Alan Wake turned out pretty well beyond the facial animations. It's a damned shame about it not getting a Windows port yet but I bet it will since reports have sales flagging due to the RDR competition. After all of that investment money you can bet they will want to recoup every penny.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

40. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 09:31 Eldaron Imotholin

ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 18:11:
Microsoft, I only have two words to remind you, you bunch of fucktards:

Alan Wake

My thoughts exactly, the moment I read this news. Also, however, I feel rather alone here being happy with the news. True, so far it's just words, and words are cheap, but the words bode well for PC gaming. Yes, I've always been quick to trust, but I've decided not to be bitter after the PC Gaming Alliance piss in the face.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

39. Holy Shit! Jun 22, 2010, 09:10 Umbragen

Is Windows 8 due out already?  

38. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 08:14 DedEye

Actions speak louder than words; especially corporate propaganda.

Show us you mean it.

37. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 07:04 hoolaparara

I'm not sure PC gaming can survive another bout of Microsofts support  

36. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 04:34 zirik

they seem to have realized that the 10+ year cycle of consoles is starting to eat into their profit. anyone notice the slower pace of advancement on video card technology since the current generation of consoles came out? i remember when game graphics dictated the feature sets of video cards. now its the other way around. manufacturers waited for directx 11 before releasing new architecture. no new hardware -> no new certified drivers -> no new pc builds -> no new windows purchases.  

35. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 02:23 StingingVelvet

I'm someone who wants more games on PC period. I don't care what one of your thousands of employees said in an interview 6 years ago, I don't care what you released last year, I don't care what led you back. More games on the PC from any publisher is a good thing.

So to that extent, this would make me happy if they follow-up on it.

Whether that will actually happen or not is, of course, the question.

34. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 22, 2010, 01:49 Scottish Martial Arts

If Microsoft is serious about reinvigorating the PC platform they need to create new incentives for PC exclusive development. At a bare minimum, more multiplatform developers need to make the PC the lead SKU, like Valve does. If all the PC platform gets is 3rd rate ports of 6-month old console games, no amount of Games for Windows marketing and platform development will make a difference.  

33. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 23:48 Kxmode

Microsoft is the Justin Bieber of PC Gaming!  

32. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 23:47 Kxmode

Bet wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 20:17:
NicklePop wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 20:05:
Quicksilver wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 17:45:
WHY CAN'T THEY JUST MAKE DAMN MOUSE/KEYBOARD INTERFACE FOR CONSOLES???!!!

I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE!!!

Hahahahahahaha, best post. (reading that as Will Farrel in my mind)

Exactly. The reason I despise consoles (other than the awful games) is because of controllers... the WORST possible method of control when precision is required.
Wholeheartedly agreed.

Amen! They'll need to pry a keyboard and mouse from my cold dead hands before I switch to a controller. And if gaming on PC dies... then that's the end of it for me. I'm not going to play on consoles.

31. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 23:38 Prez

Like others have said, I pay absolutely zero attention to what Microsoft says about how committed they are to the PC gaming market, blah blah blah.

How many once great PC developers have they absorbed and gutted or outright killed? They can pound sand. I only use their OS because I have to (gaming and all). If that ever changes, I'll happily shed myself of them forever.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 23:37 Prowler

I cannot agree more with the point that it's in Microsoft's best financial interest to keep PC gaming alive.

Most PC gamers have spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars buying Windows operating systems for the sole purpose of enjoying our favorite hobby. If PC gaming disappears, so does the need to buy a new operating system every time Microsoft pumps a new version out. Because I don't know about anyone else, but I sure don't need to buy a new operating system to get another version of Windows DVD Maker.

The 360 is fine, but anyone who thinks that consoles are where the real money is for Microsoft is just plain wrong.

29. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 22:45 creatorswhim

I mean, I use VMware for a lot of older PC games already. It's not like I'm going to buy a console or anything, but I'm about ready to go back to GNU/Linux.

If other people choose the the ascendent Apple or even Chrome OS, MS won't have anyone to blame but themselves.

28. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 22:44 AdamK47

MS has been sh!tting on the PC for years. What was the last game they published for it?  

27. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 22:40 creatorswhim

If you read the article, it seems like Microsoft thinks that Fable 3 will be "enough" and that the real growth driving PC games comes from Facebook.

I wonder how much of this abuse MS can dish out until their market is just gone.

26. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 21:44 Nate

Dear MS,

Please kill the PC version of Games for Windows live. This will show you are serious. We also don't want crappy, dumbed down, PC versions of console games.

25. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 20:17 Bet

NicklePop wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 20:05:
Quicksilver wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 17:45:
WHY CAN'T THEY JUST MAKE DAMN MOUSE/KEYBOARD INTERFACE FOR CONSOLES???!!!

I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE!!!

Hahahahahahaha, best post. (reading that as Will Farrel in my mind)

Exactly. The reason I despise consoles (other than the awful games) is because of controllers... the WORST possible method of control when precision is required.
Wholeheartedly agreed.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo