Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status

A patch for Alpha Protocol is in the works to update the espionage-themed RPG, reports GameBanshee, after speaking with Obsidian about support for the game at E3. "We wanted to release something fairly quickly based upon some feedback we were getting," Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart tells them. "I think [SEGA] wanted to take a different approach by gathering more information over a longer period of time and provide a patch then. That's what we're figuring out right now." Urquhart also answered a question about DLC for the game, which does not give much cause for optimism: "I don't know if [SEGA is] talking about that at all yet. I can say that we're not working on any DLC right now. We'd love to, but we're not."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 23, 2010, 02:36 Nucas

Verno wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 15:49:
Unlike either of those games, this games flawed parts never combine to make a decent title. The shitty voice acting, embarrassingly bad combat system and caveman stealth never come together and become enjoyable. This game is a design disaster that deserved to be better and it's a shame it never will be.
i felt this way at first and was ready to put it down for good, but once you get past the intro levels of saudi arabia i think the game really comes into it's own. i feel it's a combo of the "raw" gameplay without skills or abilities fucking sucks mixed with saudia arabia being really poorly designed and not the best showcase for the game's strengths.

i also thought the voice acting was very good, the cast has several industry vets. thorton himself annoys me sometimes with his utter blandness but he fucking aces some fantastic lines. no different than shepard from mass effect, really.

it does make me wonder what the FUCK obsidian was doing with the 10 month delay. were they working on it that whole time, or just sitting on it to avoid competition? and if they were really working on it, how big a mess was it before? this could have been your mainstream fucking breakout, you stupid bastards.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 23, 2010, 02:03 Jerykk

Unlike either of those games, this games flawed parts never combine to make a decent title. The shitty voice acting, embarrassingly bad combat system and caveman stealth never come together and become enjoyable.

How far did you get into this game before passing this judgment?

27. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 15:49 Verno

This game is actually fantastic. If you liked Vampire: Bloodlines or Deus Ex, you should run out and buy it, now!

Unlike either of those games, this games flawed parts never combine to make a decent title. The shitty voice acting, embarrassingly bad combat system and caveman stealth never come together and become enjoyable. This game is a design disaster that deserved to be better and it's a shame it never will be.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

26. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 13:11 Bumpy

I'll be curious to hear what they fix. Just bugs or will they do some minor gameplay changes addressing what some of the reviews mostly complained about. Hmmmmmmmmm?  

25. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 10:47 LarsWestergren

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 09:15:
Gears of War on PC had the same issue and the same fix works here, just go to the ini file and tell it not to stream in everything, which makes it load it all up at the start of the level.

The exact lines to change I don't remember, I am sure google can sort that out for you.

Thanks!

24. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 09:37 Prez

I'm like SV. I can more or less agree with a low or average review score and still like the game.

Quite a few of the 230 or so games in my Steam catalog score in the 50's or 60's on Metacritic (which is posted in a quite handy manner right on the game's Steam info page) but I still enjoy them.

Alpha Protocol and Aliens Versus Predator (2010) are 2 examples of games where I can pretty much agree with most of the flaws reviewers have pointed out and still be excited about playing them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 09:15 StingingVelvet

LarsWestergren wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 06:07:
I have seen very few bugs so far and it has never crashed, a big step up in quality for Obsidian. My only big annoyance - as you enter a room content is loaded off disk and there is a half second or so of stuttering when the controls are less responsive, and as you are usually looking around quickly when entering a room to spot potential enemies, Mike sometimes spins around so he is looking back to the room he came from with his ass to his enemies.

I hope that is fixed, and as an earlier commenter said - hot keys for activating spy powers please, and scroll text with mouse wheel.

Gears of War on PC had the same issue and the same fix works here, just go to the ini file and tell it not to stream in everything, which makes it load it all up at the start of the level. The only negative is that sometimes the boss of the level will not load and you have to keep quick-loading to try and make them appear... never took me more than one or two tries though, and it only happened twice. Much less annoying than the constant stutter.

The exact lines to change I don't remember, I am sure google can sort that out for you.

22. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 06:07 LarsWestergren

This game is actually fantastic. If you liked Vampire: Bloodlines or Deus Ex, you should run out and buy it, now!

About the poor reviews - I read somewhere that European reviews of this game was much more favourable than American reviews. There is no doubt that PC site/magazine reviews have been much more enthusiastic than console reviews (like, average score of 80 or more rather than 60). RPG and adventure game fans like this much more than action fans.

So if you find yourself in the former category more often - get it.

I have seen very few bugs so far and it has never crashed, a big step up in quality for Obsidian. My only big annoyance - as you enter a room content is loaded off disk and there is a half second or so of stuttering when the controls are less responsive, and as you are usually looking around quickly when entering a room to spot potential enemies, Mike sometimes spins around so he is looking back to the room he came from with his ass to his enemies.

I hope that is fixed, and as an earlier commenter said - hot keys for activating spy powers please, and scroll text with mouse wheel.

21. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 05:04 Eldaron Imotholin

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 02:21:
It's really a case for showing how numerical reviews are flawed because I can't really justify giving the game higher than the 6 or 7 it got most places, but at the same time it is one of my favorites this year.

Reviews as a whole are flawed. If I hadn't preordered the game I would've gotten so horribly biased by all the reviews I might as well never gotten passed the tutorial.

This whole stuff with AP opened my eyes and I'm no longer gonna waste my time reading reviews. From now on I'll read the game's description and watch some gameplay movies. It was doing that that got me preordering the game in the first place.

Reviews are useless. I might start to write them to show how it's done.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

20. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 02:21 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 22, 2010, 01:39:
As the others have stated, this game has much undeserved hate. I'm not sure why. Most of its flaws can be found in other, much higher budget games. Stupid AI, mediocre combat, etc. I guess people are just more willing to overlook such flaws when a game is pretty. I'm also guessing that most of the haters didn't play past the Saudi Arabia missions and thus missed out on the game's greatest strength: choice and consequence. In AP, your choices almost always have far-reaching consequences and that really makes you think every time you have to make one.

Is AP a fantastic game? No, there are plenty of areas where it should have been better. I can easily point out many flaws off the top of my head. But I can do this with almost every game ever made. AP is better than the sum of its parts but you only realize this if you give it a chance.

It's really a case for showing how numerical reviews are flawed because I can't really justify giving the game higher than the 6 or 7 it got most places, but at the same time it is one of my favorites this year.

19. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 02:06 Eldaron Imotholin

spindoctor wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 20:07:
The same people who whine endlessly about consolitis are now defending a checkpoint save system. Priceless. This is almost as funny as the time people were whining about Bioshock 2 not having controller support.

This isnt Splinter Cell: Conviction we're talking about.

Don't worry, the next game ridden in consolitis, making it crap, will be whined about. "Patience, childe." Ecaterina the Wise would say.

18. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 22, 2010, 01:39 Jerykk

As the others have stated, this game has much undeserved hate. I'm not sure why. Most of its flaws can be found in other, much higher budget games. Stupid AI, mediocre combat, etc. I guess people are just more willing to overlook such flaws when a game is pretty. I'm also guessing that most of the haters didn't play past the Saudi Arabia missions and thus missed out on the game's greatest strength: choice and consequence. In AP, your choices almost always have far-reaching consequences and that really makes you think every time you have to make one.

Is AP a fantastic game? No, there are plenty of areas where it should have been better. I can easily point out many flaws off the top of my head. But I can do this with almost every game ever made. AP is better than the sum of its parts but you only realize this if you give it a chance.

17. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 22:52 space captain

i finished this game and its certainly not horrible but it does have some issues in terms of the stealth implementation

for example, i specialized in stealth and h2h combat, and the problem with this is that at the highest level, you get the power of invisibilty for 25 seconds (plus i had a bunch of perks by then that extended it to more like 35) - and you can one-hit kill people WHILE invisible, and stay invisible, even if there is another enemy literally right next to you or watching the whole thing occur

also, my kung-fu was at least 5x more powerful than bullets... but basically it doesnt matter because you just go invisible and one-hit kill everyone, then wait for recharge and do it again

sorry but its silly - i love the superspy genre but thats a bit much

however what it does right is awesome and has not been done before.. i still think if you compared this game side-by-side with Deus Ex, it would easily be the better game by far - but in terms of comparing how awesome DX was when it came out, there is no question that AP doesnt match up

sadly i doubt there will be a sequel based on the market reception.. i think another iteration could have made it a truly great game, possibly a new classic

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 22:35 Tomas

I guess I'll jump on the whiteknight bandwagon too. This game gets a lot more hate than it deserves. The first hour or so really bothered me (bland environment, kind of weird getting used to the crappy things about it), but after that I really found myself enjoying the game quite a bit. It is a shame they released it in the current state, but even with its flaws it's a lot better than a boat load of games that seem to get a pass. Frankly I really wish they'd make more content, because now that I'm used to the few odd things and know how to work around the few bugs I had I really like the game.

Could have been a classic, yes, but it's still a fun game. And honestly, I don't get all the hate on the combat system. It's not that weird - especially when you realize this is a stats based RPG game. If you suck at shooting (stats wise)...you'll miss more often. Not too hard to comprehend.

15. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 22:30 Dirwulf

I took a chance on this game despite the reviews, because reading between the lines, you could tell a lot of people really liked the game. I think its actually better than ME2. Talk about a surprise. I'm about to start my second play through.

People talking about a broken weapon system have no idea what they are doing in this game. There are very deliberate aiming mechanics, and if you don't use them right, you are going to suck.

I also HATE games that use checkpoint saves, especially on a PC game. However, not one time did I find the checkpoint system in this game annoying at all. As some have said, there are checkpoints all over, and they seem to be perfectly placed.

If you can pick the game up on the cheap, I would do it. I paid full retail to support the developers. They need it after the unfair pounding this game took in the press.

14. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 21:00 Bumpy

spindoctor wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 20:07:
The same people who whine endlessly about consolitis are now defending a checkpoint save system. Priceless. This is almost as funny as the time people were whining about Bioshock 2 not having controller support.

Totally agree.

13. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 20:07 spindoctor

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

12. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 19:20 Eldaron Imotholin

Kajetan wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 17:45:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 17:35:
It's immersive!
Using a stupid savegame system with few save points kills any immersion this game could ever produce.

I'm sorry, but in these kind of games, i want to save whenever I see fit to do it, not the level designer. I play the game, not some other person. I'm no longer a student. I work. I have family. My time management doesn't go well with save points.

I think it was a cleverly made decision to have a checkpoint savesystem in this game. At first I was used to quicksaving a game everytime before I started a conversation. If I picked a dialogue in, say, Dragon Age and I accidentily pissed someone off by it.. getting -5 rep points from Leliana for example, I quickloaded. This is the way I play. Big deal. But AP killed that forgiving option for me which made the decisions and concequenses feel all the stronger in AP.

As for the whole "wife kids pet" thing.. that's an absolute bullshit argument. AP has a checkpoint around every corner.

11. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 19:03 Bumpy

Nucas wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 16:55:
i could be off base but it sounds like sega's strategy is to just get one patch out the door and be done with it.

Don't forget the DLC, then they'll be done with it.

Far as save anywhere debate, it's always OPTIONAL, even if the game has the feature.

10. Re: Alpha Protocol Patch, DLC Status Jun 21, 2010, 18:51 Kajetan

Ecthelion wrote on Jun 21, 2010, 18:06:
I think the game is more immersive with checkpoints.
If thats ok with you, than its ok I find games with only a savepoint system annoying. Immersion i'll get from other features.

I would like a switch in the game options menu. Savepoints [on/off]. And everybody's happy!

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo