Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Trailers

G4tv.com has a couple of videos of some hands-on play with RAGE, the first-person shooting and driving game in development at id Software. In one clip id's Tim Willits shows them the game, and in the other they take a look at one of the game's missions. It may not be easy to check these out though, as the videos seem hesitant to load, as E3 demand seems to be slowing things down there.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 19, 2010, 14:07 ^Drag0n^

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 18, 2010, 08:42:
It's becoming a horribly common thing to eliminate or completely neuter player death. You heard him there talking about never wanting the player to be taken out of the action. All these old PC developers want to be huge stars in the new videogame Hollywood... who can blame them I guess... so they need to appeal to the mass-market.

It was the one sore sport in an otherwise amazing demonstration if you ask me.

Agreed. that was just...amazing.

If I heard right the editor will be a part of the executable(?) He seemed to indicate that you accessed it from the game console...

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 13:15 Bumpy

Jerykk wrote on Jun 18, 2010, 03:43:
Am I the only one who noticed that the Willits basically said that players can revive themselves if they die?

So pretty much means quick save or save anywhere will not be in the game. Hardly need it if you can never truly die.

51. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 08:51 The Pyro

I enjoyed Doom 3 thoroughly, despite the monster closets. Nightmare mode is the way the game is meant to be played: fast, and almost always near death. I think a lot of people got bored with the game because they played it too "safely" (ie slow).

Install one of the flashlight mods (if you have to) and try doing a speed run. It's a blast But by all means, make do without a flashlight as much as possible. Just aim for the glowing red eyes. Constantly swapping between a flashlight and your gun is not how the game's intended to be played, IMO. You gotta learn to fight in the dark.

50. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 08:42 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 18, 2010, 03:43:
Am I the only one who noticed that the Willits basically said that players can revive themselves if they die?

It's becoming a horribly common thing to eliminate or completely neuter player death. You heard him there talking about never wanting the player to be taken out of the action. All these old PC developers want to be huge stars in the new videogame Hollywood... who can blame them I guess... so they need to appeal to the mass-market.

It was the one sore sport in an otherwise amazing demonstration if you ask me.

49. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 03:43 Jerykk

48. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 02:31 Surf

Doom3 was great Coop, thats the only way ive ever played any of the doom games, even the first one over a US Robotics 14,440 baud modem!

RAGE = BORDERLANDS

47. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 01:10 StingingVelvet

I don't use metacritic to win arguments because professional reviewers suck and numbers mean nothing (see: Alpha Protocol) but Doom 3 has an 87 average out of 100. It was also freaking loved and fawned over by everyone on my home forum when it came out, I remember going there to post in between every play session and reading about how much fun everyone was having.

It has become this thing many people hate since then, and that is fine, I just dislike the idea that the game is obviously bad. It's not, it just might not be the game you wanted.

46. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 18, 2010, 00:58 Prez

I don't give a crap what others think; when I like a game, I say so. And I don't worry if I'm the only swingin' johnson in the whole place who does - what do I care? The majority doesn't speak for me; I do. So when I say I liked Doom 3, I don't have to qualify it to anyone.

What I think is going on is that people are made to feel stupid by the vocal minority who emphatically state "The Game SUCKED! Period, end of story." So what does the person who says this think of someone who liked the game? They have low standards? They are inexperienced? Or just "retards" as someone alluded to here?

Personally, like I said, I couldn't care less. I've been gaming as long as anyone here, and I don't need to validate myself because I like a game that no one else does. Conversely, no one needs to validate themselves to me as to why they think a game sucked. If you are just a hater trying to "fit in" with the hip crowd, that's your business. More likely, a lot of the rampant hate is probably due to a combination of expectation and the blood-in-the-water internet phenomenon, but ultimately it doesn't matter.

Hell, I'll go further and say once I installed the duct tape mod, I loved Doom 3. It absolutely did not suck. It wasn't the seminal classic that Doom was, but nothing ever will be again. Like it, don't like it - whatever. Just stop throwing hissy fits over it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

45. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 23:38 Beamer

Doom 3 was a good game I enjoyed playing... beat it twice. Quake 4 and Wolfenstein were both great too, though those were Raven so I am not sure why they were brought up here. Solid shooters with good action though, both of them. I don't need anything super innovative to have a good time.

Quake 4 was terrible, too. The enemies just sat there. No real effort for self-preservation.
I didn't play the most recent Wolfenstein, but I played the one before. Also thought it was terrible. Something about the weapons felt off to me. I think it was pointed out by someone else that there were no pain animations, but I never felt like I was doing damage.

I am not an id hater. I think Rage looks like a pretty good amount of fun. I just think Doom 3 was pitiful. Yeah, blah blah blah, it was just like Doom. But who cares, that was 10 years prior. If I make a game with the exact same gameplay as Battlezone you guys would hate it. Dull, boring, lifeless, predictable. But Battlezone was amazing at the time. Things change. Doom 3, Tarantino's half of Grindhouse, held on to too many of the bad parts of what it tried to make an homage of.

Sometimes you enjoy playing games that aren't very good. We all do it. Sometimes you're just looking for a quick, easy game with no real challenge. That was Quake 4, where the challenge was not smart enemies or level design but just increased damage. I won't fault id for that, though, they didn't make it.

I love those passionate Doom 3 haters who act like it was the worst game ever and any opposite opinion is formed by retards.

The only reason we (or I) are testy here is because we're being told that we hated Doom 3 not for the gameplay but because it's cool to do.

Screw that. Game sucked. Every id-related game since Quake 3 sucked. So has every game on an id engine post Q3. That doesn't mean id will keep making awful games. Rage seems like it will at least be pretty amusing. Maybe not great, but certainly worthy of the hours. Couldn't say that about any other id-related game of this decade, too many better games waiting to be played.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 22:46 Ray Marden

It's funny - I would swear there are broad, stereotyping, id-loving comments tumping an online conspiracy.

I'm so tired of that mentality. I can look at games - good and bad - and point out their flaws, come up with ways to improve them, identify the items that interest me, etc.

I want new games to improve and excel, not just be "good enough." I don't see any purpose in holding any dissenting opinions with disregard, if not contempt.

Pick whatever game I may absolutely love and I can still find faults with it, areas to improve, and/or neat ideas to try. Even if I may completely disagree with somebody over how fantastic I am think that game is, I can also accept that people do not have to love it. There are many games I realize are good, but which I have no taste for.

Ultimately, I'm mildly hopeful for Rage. I am terribly skeptical of id and I have some concerns about Rage, but I can see a lot of good points in what was shown.

But really, with this type of disrespect for one another, what's the point? Clearly that singular opinion is the only one that matters...
Such a waste of intelligence.
Shaking my head,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

43. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 21:31 StingingVelvet

I love those passionate Doom 3 haters who act like it was the worst game ever and any opposite opinion is formed by retards.

Doom 3 was a good game I enjoyed playing... beat it twice. Quake 4 and Wolfenstein were both great too, though those were Raven so I am not sure why they were brought up here. Solid shooters with good action though, both of them. I don't need anything super innovative to have a good time.

42. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 20:24 xXBatmanXx

Wow....the comments under the videos are laughable at best. What a joke! "This game makes fallout look like a chump".

This is why Bobby Kotick makes money. Because people are idiots.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

41. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 20:03 Fion

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 17, 2010, 17:18:
Well, have you ever considered the possibility that you might be surrounded by retards "IRL"? I have but I'm a nice guy so in your favor I'm gonna assume that it is an opposites attract kind of thing with you. Mwwwaahahahahahaha .

Well no I don't think that's it. I work at Cornell University at the dept of plant biology and the friend who couldn't play it for more than an hour is an expert in robotics who has been published in Servo magazine.

So I'm pretty sure that's not. Rather likely it is just that we enjoyed the game whilst you did not. :p

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2010, 20:08.

40. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 20:01 Sepharo

Psycho Suicider wrote on Jun 17, 2010, 19:21:
I think there is definitely an id software bias. You can't find an FPS that doesn't have a B movie plot, including Half-Life. Doom 3's story was just as engaging, it was just a different story.

I don't remember Doom 3's story. I remember HL and HL2's very well.

That's personally enough for me to dismiss your opinion here.

39. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 19:56 ThatOtherGuy

Tumbler wrote on Jun 17, 2010, 17:27:
(I feel like I'm forgetting about something...) Was quake wars made by someone other than ID?

Quake Wars was made by Splash Damage, with consultation by id. Quake 4 and Wolfenstein by Raven, pretty much hands-off by id.

38. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 19:44 SirKnight

The only things that disappoint me about Rage right now is the regenerating health (I HATE that so much! Thanks Halo and CoD.) and the ability to use a de-fib to bring your dead ass back to life. Tim mentioned about how they hate dieing and that's why they did that. Well dieing in a game is a pretty damn important thing to game design because it forces you to actually develop skill and makes it challenging which are some of the key points of what makes a game a game. But it seems games these days are nothing more than hand-holding press X to win crap. Games are supposed to be challenges, not "experiences" like everyone seems to say.

That's another thing that annoys the hell out of me now is everyone calling a game an "experience" instead of calling it a game. I've heard this a lot during E3 this week. No, it's NOT an experience it's a GAME and it should stay that way!

At least Rage does have graphics that nothing else out there or coming out soon can touch. The animations look pretty damn nice too. I just don't like the health and death situations. Maybe that can be changed with a mod. I knew with them developing this for a console as the focus would introduce some typical lame console-kiddie crap and it has. If Rage would have been designed as a PC game like all of id's past games, it would be not only very different in the game-play side but a lot better overall. Even better graphics too. For the first time, there will be no one going out and buying new PCs or graphics cards for one game b/c computers/graphics cards from many years ago will be good enough for this. Too bad.

37. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 19:37 Beamer

Also, DOOM 3 did not rip off the g-man. Give me a break. There wasn't a single character that sounded like, acted like, or resembled the g-man in any way.

Half-Life: You're a mostly meaningless grunt. You come in from a train ride, walk through a perfect base/lab, see the break room, do some meaningless task, suddenly everything goes to hell and zombies are getting warped in. You go through the same way you came, only now it's in tatters. During your entire escape there's some mysterious guy always two steps ahead of you.

Doom 3: You're a mostly meaningless grunt. You come in from a train ride, walk through a perfect base/lab, see the break room, do some meaningless task, suddenly everything goes to hell and zombies are getting warped in. You go through the same way you came, only now it's in tatters. During your entire escape there's some mysterious guy (with a bodyguard) always two steps ahead of you.

Exact. Same. Plot.

Bioshock had a thousand closets
I don't remember a single time that I picked up ammo or armor only to have a closet open up behind me. Or, at least, any level that was merely a string of such rooms.

Christ, now disliking a game is "trolling."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

36. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 19:21 Drayth

I enjoyed Doom 3 for what it was, a very base FPS. I dug the atmosphere, plus the eye candy and the sound.. would have been better with Reznor, but they still did a top notch job.

And yeah, the flashlight never bothered me.

Having said that, I'm not going to argue with someone who hates Doom 3, because, yes, it doesn't push forward in any other areas than the ones I mentioned. Story was just ok, AI was.. well there wasn't any, etc. For me it was immersive though, I just dig that kind of sci-fi setting.

35. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 19:21 Psycho Suicider

I think there is definitely an id software bias. You can't find an FPS that doesn't have a B movie plot, including Half-Life. Doom 3's story was just as engaging, it was just a different story. You're not running around the world with a hot chick and a big robot, you're on a space station alone. It's like a Die Hard movie - Bruce Willis vs the world, right?

Also, DOOM 3 did not rip off the g-man. Give me a break. There wasn't a single character that sounded like, acted like, or resembled the g-man in any way.

And if you only played the game for 2 hours, you didn't play it long enough to get to the one point where a monster came out of a closet. That is, unless everything to you is a closet... teleporters are closets, ceiling tiles are closets, floor boards are closets, big rooms are closets, dusty Mars terrain = closet, monorail = closet...

I am perfectly fine with people not liking the game. Super cool, whatever. But don't come up with reasons for disliking it that are the same reasons you like every other game you play. Bioshock had a thousand closets, HL2 had a machine gun with a grenade launcher - zomg how original... but fun, right? It's all about application, as all these games have gimmicks that they depend on. HL2 especially is NOTORIOUS for beating a dead horse... the whole section where you drive the car from building to building finding the next switch that opens the next gate or lets down the next bridge. Can you say "find the red key"? But it was applied well, and that made it fun.

If you don't like id software's application of gaming mechanics, that's fine. But it's ok for you to just be quiet and leave those games to those who actually enjoy them. We're not talking Daikatana here, we're talking DOOM 3, which got an 87 on Metacritic. So stop trolling... it's ok for us to like it. The world won't melt because we do...

34. Re: RAGE Trailers Jun 17, 2010, 19:16 Yosemite Sam

I liked Doom3 too, solid game, great GFX (still today they look friken sweet)and it was Classic Doom gameplay, some pretty memorable moments in that game too, still remember when you got to that portal with the fog effect and those two big mothers (cant remember the name) came out, super sweet.

See ammo in the middle of the room.
Pick up ammo.
Lights flicker, closet door behind you opens, zombie walks out.

Heh classic doom, have you ever played any of the games?

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo