Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

It Came from E3 2010, Part 5

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 17, 2010, 09:31 Verno

kxmode wrote on Jun 17, 2010, 01:11:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 16, 2010, 13:48:
This isn't the "Day the gaming industry died" it's just the "Day that Sony and Microsoft looked like chumps trying to replicate Nintendo's motion controls".

Nintendo is a laughing joke among gamers. One only has to look as far as their website to see this. Now it looks like Microsoft and Sony is following. This can only be good for PC gaming! Let them have their KINECTITRON. We're going to get RAGE, Crysis 2, The Old Republic, and a bunch of other grown-up games!

Microsoft and Sony get all of the multiplatform games and the Wii shovelware type shit now is the problem. We get multiplatform games largely because of the 360's shared development libraries being easily adaptable. If that stops then we're going to have a problem.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 17, 2010, 01:11 Kxmode

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 16, 2010, 13:48:
This isn't the "Day the gaming industry died" it's just the "Day that Sony and Microsoft looked like chumps trying to replicate Nintendo's motion controls".

Nintendo is a laughing joke among gamers. One only has to look as far as their website to see this. Now it looks like Microsoft and Sony is following. This can only be good for PC gaming! Let them have their KINECTITRON. We're going to get RAGE, Crysis 2, The Old Republic, and a bunch of other grown-up games!

27. Re: The Day the Gaming Industry Died Jun 16, 2010, 22:24 Starang

Worst E3 yet so far imo, thought the article at cracked was a fun read although I think he exaggerated a bit about the death of the gaming industry. The kinect looks like total garbage, just the fact that you have to stand up to use it makes is hilariously bad. The sony wand/move or whatever it's called looks like a wii mote and acts like a wii mote so nothing new there but I guess people will now be able to enjoy the same shovelware games the wii offers but in HD.  

26. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 19:19 xXBatmanXx

So I am getting the impression that E3 is a flop this year.....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: The Day the Gaming Industry Died Jun 16, 2010, 19:10 Yosemite Sam

Pfft, that article was a bunch of drivel. Console sales are down because of market saturation (not to mention our current economic situation) not because people arnt gaming and last year COD broke all time sales records, ya gaming is dead. Every year theres a bunch of games out that I absolutely want, and this year is no exception. That whole kid playing with the cat thing sure made me and a bunch of others cringe but news flash we arnt thier target demographic, just as much as that kid could care less about killzone 3.

The addition of new ways to play are not gimmicks they are the key to continuous hardware sales, you can only sell so many consoles, and IMO they are not going far enough in that direction... imagine if they really went all out on say the FPS gener, imagine playing a FPS with imitation guns, wearing a holster for your pistol, having a rifle, imagine instead of pushing a button to reload you actually had to pop out the magazine on your toy gun and put it back in, a sniper rifle that didnt zoom in in the game itself but zoomed in by looking through a scope. I think peripherals are the way to extend the life of a console while still giving the manufactures a revenue stream, because the reality is GFX has pretty much hit the wall (aside from XBOX needing an upgrade to do 3D) Only thing I would consider killing the industry is the rush to market attitude of developers, putting out games before thier done, but even that wouldnt do it because theres so many devs out there and so many games that you can always find a quality polished product, just have to do your research before buying.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

24. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 18:45 Golwar

The only really good surpise at the E3 is the 3DS. Not sure if I'll get one, but at least they are the only ones who managed catch my attention.

Tumbler wrote on Jun 16, 2010, 12:55:
As well, PlayStation Plus was also announced. This is an optional subscription model for the PSN that costs $49.99 USD for one year and grants you access to things like discounts on PlayStation Store content, free and exclusive access to select games and full game trials.

I don't think Sony "gets it". You can't just copy everything MS has done with Live and say, "Me too!". You could make the same argument for the whole motion control stuff. You can't just copy what nintendo did, using a controller in almost the exact same way as the wii, and say "me too".

I have cranked up my PS3 for playing movies and PS3 exclusive games...and that is about it. Their online functionality is pathetic. It's god awful in fact. They'll have big "events" going on and you'd never know it half the time unless you go drill down to where you need to be. On the 360 you can pull up game demo's and they'll give you a list of the newest ones, the most popular ones, or just a complete list. On the PS3 you can tell it PS3 demos and then it gives you a list in alphabetical order of the most recent demos. No sorting by newest, no most popular just some stupid list of shit you aren't there to see. And the icons don't communicate what the game is well at all. With the xbox you see a huge picture of the box art, there is NO QUESTION about what game you're looking at, it's huge, in your face, and obvious. On the ps3 you have these stupid little icons that you have to guess on, half the crap I can't even tell what it is. I click on it, is this what I want? Nope, back out, next, is this what I want? nope, back out, etc. And then if you don't click on ps3 demo's specifically it just mashes all kinds of shit together like you are some rabid sony fan who wants to know about PSP games, PS3 games, PSN games, movies, all under on category. I don't give a shit about anything other than PS3, why the fuck are you showing me psp games?!

Sony doesn't fucking get it. And they want to charge $50? You're moron's sony. You were out to fucking lunch when you launched that system and you are still there. It's unbelievable that their interface hasn't been totally overhauled and made 1000 times more useful than it is now.

Partly true, partly false. Using the Square buttons would help you with your "stupid little icon" issue. But besides that, they really could improve a lot and they could achieve it easily. So we must assume that someone responsible is dumb as bread.

Besides that I like what I heard about PSN+. Would I live in the US, there would be little doubts about getting it. But alas, I'm german. And if you thougt that the people at Sony America are already dumb ... well, you would be surprised. The usability of the store is even far worse than in the US. The reason might be that the store is so empty in Germany (besides tons of pure crap), that probably everyone is happy and thankful that a perfect overview over this mess is missing.

23. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 18:40 Krovven

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/16/playstation-plus-coming-soon/

At launch, PlayStation Plus will offer subscribers the full PlayStation Network game, WipEout HD, full game trial of inFAMOUS, PSP minis and PS One Classics such as Fieldrunners, Age of Zombies and Rally Cross, as well as premium avatars, themes and DLC levels and map packs.

WipeoutHD is definitely one of the best PSN titles, but also worth the purchase (already own it). Will be interesting to see what else they announced.

22. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 17:50 Krovven

Had a look at the Playstation Move launch titles...still no interest.

I rarely use my GF's Wii, have had No More Heroes since xmas and havent even tried it yet...

Motion Control by wand or flailing my arms around just doesn't appeal to me.

Cross game chat/voice has been mentioned as a PSN+ feature, but I'm not sure if it has been confirmed. It's lame they would not make this available to all, but since I don't even use in-game voice, I could care less.

21. The Day the Gaming Industry Died Jun 16, 2010, 17:29 Prez

LMAO - that was a funny article (and yet sad for how true it is) ! All we need now is for Microsoft or Sony to release E.T. 2010 and history will probably indeed repeat itself.

In all the years I've been following the industry, this looks to be the least exciting E3 I've ever seen, and that includes the first one following the revamp several years ago.

I can imagine how embarrassing and awkward being there to watch these horrible expositions must be - just reading about them made me kind of squirm in my chair. The writers observation, that the overall reaction was as if the bum next to them started masturbating, was perfectly descriptive of how I'm reacting to what I'm reading. What a nightmare.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 16:21 Undocumented Alien

Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2010, 14:52:
Additionally I think putting cross game chat behind a paywall is a mistake personally as voice chat is one of the things that holds my friends back from doing more gaming on the PS3 in general. I think a feature like that pays for itself by promoting more social gaming which in turn promotes more game and console ownership.

Verno, I took at a look at the link you provided but didn't see anything in regards to cross game chat being a PSN+ only feature, are you sure about this? I'm hoping not as I have been really wanting THAT feature but I don't think I'm going to pay $50 a year for it, I could care less about early demos, etc. Let me know, I hope it's not true

19. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 16:18 Cram

I have to disagree about the motion controllers being a gimmick, its the new interactive trend, gets gamers asses off of the couch and gets you more involved with the game, win win IMO.

IMO, in Sony and Microsofts case it is a gimmick. They're both fairly expensive addon's that require another machine (360/PS3) that was originally designed for a different purpose (gaming with a controller) and a different target market of gamers (Microsoft and Sony both said they were not interested in the casual gaming market when they released their systems, they didn't care about motion controls and both can be quoted saying that it was a gimmick at that time).

Sonys new 'move' controller is hardly a copy of the Wii, its an improvement, 1 to 1 motion sensing, no cheating with that one like the Wii one.

Well, this sounds like you're almost defending Move because it desperately needs defending. It is a copy, of four year old technology. If it wasn't improved, which I do not think it is, what would be the point of releasing it. Which makes me wonder what is the point, because it doesn't look improved. With Wii Motion Plus (2 year old tech), the Wii controller can do exactly what Move can do. It's simply up to game designers to take advantage of it. Both hardware are capable of the same thing. You also only need to buy the Wii to take advantage of that. With Move you need PS3, Move Controller, Eye Cam and that Secondary left hand controller.

The Kinect is just plain sic,

I respect your opinion. But I don't agree at all. The presentation we saw at E3 was rehearsed, you could tell everyone using it was nervous except for actress child. There is nothing new or innovative, IMO, with Kinect (which is fine, no one is surprised by Microsoft's lack of innovative capabilities). The interface looked clunky, I could access menu's with a controller 5x faster then they were with their hands or even with voice during the presentation. Nothing about their presentation actually made me feel that Microsoft is confident with Kinect at this point in time. The demonstration reeked of artificial enthusiasm. I reserve final judgment till I experience it myself, and with the second generation of games/software for Kinect because the launch line-up is absolutely laughable.

Edit: Epic grammar fails.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2010, 17:31.

18. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 16:01 Yosemite Sam

Holy fanbio tumbler, whats the matter your XBOX RROD again? Pissed you gotta pay to play. Sonys paid service may not be up to par with Live, although half the shit you complain about is just pure BS, fox style, but I'm not required to pay to play online with my buds. I'd say Microsoft doesnt get it, well they do get it, it being your money sucker.

I have to disagree about the motion controllers being a gimmick, its the new interactive trend, gets gamers asses off of the couch and gets you more involved with the game, win win IMO. Sonys new 'move' controller is hardly a copy of the Wii, its an improvement, 1 to 1 motion sensing, no cheating with that one like the Wii one. The Kinect is just plain sic, although I really think it sucks for the games I play the move would be much more useful to me. The problem IMO is that they try to get these things to work across all game genres and that just doesnt fit. The Kinect would be friken awsome for the dancing game and the fitness game, but for driving? No way jose, gimmie a steering wheel, FPS gimmie a gun to hold. Same with the move, great as a wand or a golf club but I aint driving a car with it, or shooting with it.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

17. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 15:59 Cram

noman wrote on Jun 16, 2010, 15:36:
Rage looks pretty good. Hope it comes out soon. It'll be interesting to see such a major gameplay shift from id software - NPCs, dialogs, optional missions, huge and connected open worlds, your choice of accepting missions and then driving down to the area even getting sidetracked into another mission/loot opportunity, vehicular action, loot, vehicle upgrades, weapon upgrades from looted items etc.

Lol, until you got to vehicular action I thought you were describing Red Dead Redemption. I instinctively replaced the word "driving" with galloping.

Edit: heck, replace the words "vehicular/vehicle" with "Equus ferus caballus" and you pretty much exactly have Red Dead Redemption.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2010, 16:04.

16. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 15:36 noman

Rage looks pretty good. Hope it comes out soon. It'll be interesting to see such a major gameplay shift from id software - NPCs, dialogs, optional missions, huge and connected open worlds, your choice of accepting missions and then driving down to the area even getting sidetracked into another mission/loot opportunity, vehicular action, loot, vehicle upgrades, weapon upgrades from looted items etc.

15. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 15:32 noman

On the PS3 you can tell it PS3 demos and then it gives you a list in alphabetical order of the most recent demos. No sorting by newest, no most popular just some stupid list of shit you aren't there to see. And the icons don't communicate what the game is well at all. With the xbox you see a huge picture of the box art, there is NO QUESTION about what game you're looking at, it's huge, in your face, and obvious. On the ps3 you have these stupid little icons that you have to guess on, half the crap I can't even tell what it is. I click on it, is this what I want? Nope, back out, next, is this what I want? nope, back out, etc. And then if you don't click on ps3 demo's specifically it just mashes all kinds of shit together like you are some rabid sony fan who wants to know about PSP games, PS3 games, PSN games, movies, all under on category. I don't give a shit about anything other than PS3, why the fuck are you showing me psp games?!

This is all incorrect. There is a huge button for newest demos, you get detailed information on half-screen with game/demo icon list in a grid format on the other half, and everything is not under one category.

Next time, have your eyes open when you connect to PSN store.

14. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 14:52 Verno

It's all laid out here. For the most part it is a fairly close copy of similar Xbox Live features but thats to be expected.

Additionally I think putting cross game chat behind a paywall is a mistake personally as voice chat is one of the things that holds my friends back from doing more gaming on the PS3 in general. I think a feature like that pays for itself by promoting more social gaming which in turn promotes more game and console ownership.

13. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 14:48 SpectralMeat

Krovven wrote on Jun 16, 2010, 14:24:
the cut off access to content after your subscription runs out is definitely a bad move imo.

I disagree. It's pretty standard for this and other industries. It's a subscription fee, if you stop paying the subscription, you no longer have access to the product, very simple.

Whether the content provided is worth it or not, remains to be seen. As it is, I can't see myself paying for the service, it really depends what full games (if any are available to subscribers).

It all depends on the content you get for your subscription. If it will be full games then yes I agree with you, it shouldn't be available after the subscription runs out.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 14:30 Verno

The only announced game so far being offered for free was LittleBigPlanet I believe. The issue isn't really with free game offerings being cut off but the lack of distinction between those types of offers and things like demo content. They aren't really offering a month to month service anyways, its 90 day or 1 year chunks only so far. So either way it seems like a needless move since it would be difficult to cheat the system anyways by doing 1 month signup/cancellation to get content.

So far I haven't really seen a compelling reason to subscribe, they are going to have to prove that they can make PSN itself a more equivalent experience to XBL -before- I pay for it, not afterward. The whole store is majorly overdue for a redesign for example.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2010, 14:36.

11. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 14:24 Krovven

the cut off access to content after your subscription runs out is definitely a bad move imo.

I disagree. It's pretty standard for this and other industries. It's a subscription fee, if you stop paying the subscription, you no longer have access to the product, very simple.

Whether the content provided is worth it or not, remains to be seen. As it is, I can't see myself paying for the service, it really depends what full games (if any are available to subscribers).

Having the multiplayer network still be free to all gamers instead of segregating the console users, like on the 360, is still a big win for Sony.

10. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 14:18 Dr. D. Schreber

What's killing gaming is the risk-aversion attitude of the industry. The only way to solve the attention span problem is to stop being cookie cutter, and not just about copying Nintendo's motion control sillyness. Development costs ballooning exponentially have driven everyone to formulas, but formulas get old fast in gaming. Unfortunately, this is counter-intuitive in the business world, especially because it works so well for a little while. When franchises like Call of Duty and Halo eventually start tapering off, it's long before anyone industry-side ever expects it to happen, because, hey, aren't we just giving them more of what they want?

It is, unfortunately, an expensive gamble to actually be innovative. If there's one real argument for videogames being real art, it's that the best games transcend the sum of their technical parts (quality of graphics, camera perspective, etc) and do very little to add on new features and gimmicks, but nevertheless hit home with their presentation and emotional value. This is why we see "Was FF7 really that great?" articles every time it's a slow news month; the game really wasn't a transcendent gameplay experience, but the presentation and the characters were more then enough to hook many of us, so we didn't care.

Unfortunately, since so much of the gaming demographic is raised to de-value art, it's more profitable to churn out valueless slop masquerading as art to simple-minded philistines who have no concept of innovation or emotional investment. Is Halo popular because it's an innovative series, or is it because it just happened to strike the "Oooo, shiny!" chord with a whole lot of people at once?

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo