Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced

EA announces Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, returning the series to the concept of two prior games in the Need for Speed series setting reckless (but not wreckless) speeders against their natural enemies, the equally reckless police. The game is in development at Criterion Games (Burnout series), and it is expected to launch in November of this year, and it will feature the support of an online network with social elements, sharing a bit of the concept of Need for Speed World, due in July. Word is: "Need for Speed Hot Pursuit players will experience the thrill of the chase and the rush of the escape as they play through full careers as both a cop and a racer solo or connected. The high speed busts and heart-stopping getaways are all connected via Need for Speed Autolog. This network not only connects friends for epic head-to-head pursuits and races, but also enables players to compare performances and stats, thereby setting the stage for the ultimate in social competition." Here's the game's E3 trailer, which is embedded below.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 19:55 PHJF

The best thing about NFSMW was the open city. Running from cops is far more exciting when you can, you know... turn.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 16:04 Cram

Drezden wrote on Jun 15, 2010, 07:46:
(And to the guy who thinks GTA cop chases even compare sorry in this case you're wrong).

Well that's fine, to each his own. Essentially I was saying this idea has been done already in all sorts of forms, be it in a sandbox game or a NFS game. This new game and gameplay, as shown during the presentation, does not look to add anything to the genre. Drive down road, chase each other. That's all they showed. It looked kinda fun, but something I would get bored with extremely quickly. Adding additional obstacles like helicopters throwing things at me while driving down a road with invisible walls, that's unfortunately a negative for me not a positive. Despite all this, I'll still keep my eye on this game.

15. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 11:30 Beamer

That was pretty much when I stopped playing.

Right there with ya. It seemed like they said "how can we make this more EXTREME!" and threw that in.

NFSIII was the best, in my opinion. Porsche Unleash may have been better crafted but it wasn't as much fun as NFSIII split screen against a buddy. Its single player lacked the insane intensity of weaving through traffic evading cops in the middle of a race, too (I liked that it kept it about racing, not just evading cops.) Porsche Unleashed was more of a finesse game, and a great one, but I prefered NFSIIIs twitching insanity.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 10:05 tootbrush

Shadowcat wrote on Jun 15, 2010, 07:21:
The next "Hot Pursuit" game after "NFS: Hot Pursuit" and "NFS: Hot Pursuit 2" is NOT "NFS: Hot Pursuit" again!
Actually the first Hot Pursuit was called "Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit". The "III" makes all the difference.

This isn't quite what I expected. I wish they'd stop building NFS games around the cop chase concept. It would be better off as an extra game mode for a real NFS game (like Porsche Unleashed) or something.

13. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 09:41 nin

and dodging barrels dropped from the heli

That was pretty much when I stopped playing.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 07:46 Trevellian

Hot Pursuit 2 had far better Police AI than the original (And to the guy who thinks GTA cop chases even compare sorry in this case you're wrong). Theres nothing like dodging Spike Strips and dodging barrels dropped from the heli while trying to outrun 8 cops in HP2.

If Critereon followed HP2 closely it's a buy for me. If it's more open world bullshit instead of nice well designed tracks with a few spots that have 2 routes. I'm out.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

11. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 07:21 Shadowcat

FFS, would publishers please stop using names that they've already used?!

The next "Hot Pursuit" game after "NFS: Hot Pursuit" and "NFS: Hot Pursuit 2" is NOT "NFS: Hot Pursuit" again!

Just call it "NFS: Hot Pursuit 3". Is that really so hard?

At least with sequels to story-driven games, you can understand the reasoning when they leave out the number for fear that people won't buy it if they haven't played the previous installments. (I don't like that practice either, but at least I comprehend it.) Nobody is going to avoid Hot Pursuit 3 for fear of not knowing what happened to the characters in parts 1 and 2, however. This is just dumb.

10. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 03:47 Soulburner

I just hope there's a cockpit view, like in NFS:Shift...  

9. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 02:52 StingingVelvet

I read Criterion Games and then I pre-ordered. Nothing more needed to be said.  

8. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 02:11 Jerykk

Hmm, not exactly what I was hoping for. After Hot Pursuit, Hot Pursuit 2, High Stakes, Most Wanted and Undercover, I think the series has had a sufficient amount of cop chase-centric games. I was hoping for something more like Porsche Unleashed.  

7. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 01:30 Ginny

They said a few weeks ago, if you're a fan of the original nfs, then look forward to what we got coming.

For me, porche unleashed aside, the original concept and it's evolution in to need for speed 3 was where it's at.

All i want is a crapload of exotic cars, the open road and cops.

Im sure Criterion will make it spicy enough, where Hot Pursuit 2 failed on the pc, though i understand that wasn't the case with the ps2 version, different studio, just i never played it,

6. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 01:07 Evil Timmy

That's Marilyn Manson's cover of Tainted Love from early last decade.

As for this game...this doesn't tell me anything about the actual gameplay, but Criterion is probably the best dev out there to carry on the spirit of the NFS franchise. Considering their source material made for the best games in the series, this could be a match made in heaven.

Points for the Police Bugatti, though. The most hardened criminal in the world, driving anything but the Hennesey Venom GT, would pull over, smash his own face with a nightstick, and crawl into the back seat of a cruiser himself after seeing that in his rear-view.

5. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 00:37 The Half Elf

Ok who covers the song at the 1st half of the video?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 00:12 Cram

This looks like it could be fun. For about 2-3 hours.
Ok, Cops vs Robbers concept. Chase each other.

What else is going on? Is that it? I can go play Grand Theft Auto 4 (or 3, or 2, or 1) and play "run away from the cops" right now if I want too. So yeah, player vs player looks kinda fun but unless there's a lot more going on which wasn't shown, it'll get boring fast.

3. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 14, 2010, 23:15 Beamer

Tracks please.
No open world. No invisible walls. Tracks.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 14, 2010, 22:50 nin

Finally, the NFS series gets back on track.

Here's hoping!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 14, 2010, 22:35 PHJF

It took them this long to announce this? We knew Criterion was working on a NFS project. If all they've been doing is rehashing one of the (better) previous NFS titles they could have just come out with it earlier.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo