Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements

Dead Space 2 will feature better controls on the PC than the original Dead Space, Visceral executive producer Steve Papoutsis tells Computer and Video Games, responding to complaints about juddery controls playing the console port with mouse and keyboard. He admits that playing the original Dead Space on PC basically requires a gamepad, but that they are working on this for the sequel. "That's the thing when we're working on it that we have every day and we have readily available. But this time out we have people dedicated on working to improve the controls for PC players," he tells them. "Out of the box, we're hopeful the PC version this time will respond a lot better and that people will be a lot more comfortable and happier with the controls. That is feedback we've heard and we're certainly trying to address it." Thanks joao.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 15, 2010, 05:46 Eldaron Imotholin

Krovven wrote on Jun 14, 2010, 22:42:
Except for the mouse-stuff I don't understand the complaining.

But that's what the complaining is about. I havent seen any other complaints. You contradict yourself.

Who cares that you couldn't rebind the 3 buttons you had to use in the entire game? Obviously a fucklot of people do.

So you ask the question and answer it yourself...you make very little sense. Between this comment and the previous one I quoted, I can only figure english isnt your primary language.

I'm Dutch, but I think that has nothing to do with in in this case. I thought you talked about the binding of controls in your comment before your last? With that in mind, my first and second comment make sense. And yes, I answer my own question and this is something that people often do. In that way I was saying that I think a lot of people complain about stuff I don't understand they care about in the first place.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 23:55 StingingVelvet

Once I upped the sensitivity in the ini file I thought the game played perfectly, to be honest. I know some people had other problems but I never did.  

29. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 22:42 Krovven

Except for the mouse-stuff I don't understand the complaining.

But that's what the complaining is about. I havent seen any other complaints. You contradict yourself.

Who cares that you couldn't rebind the 3 buttons you had to use in the entire game? Obviously a fucklot of people do.

So you ask the question and answer it yourself...you make very little sense. Between this comment and the previous one I quoted, I can only figure english isnt your primary language.

28. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 21:12 Eldaron Imotholin

Prez wrote on Jun 14, 2010, 20:46:
It's absolutely befuddling to me that people will accept poor porting jobs (and for the record, requiring me to futz around in a .config file or 3rd party graphics program = poor port job) yet are unwilling to accept complaining about a poor port job.

The game was great, yes, but that doesn't excuse sloppy porting, regardless of how easy the fix was/is.

Then I guess I'm easily satisfied. Although in truth I think I am because it's a relatively good port. Except for the mouse-stuff I don't understand the complaining.

Also, it wasn't an FPS. It was a 3rd-person survival horror game. The fact you couldn't run, strafe and turn 180 degrees while also be in mid-air was a choice by design. Who cares that you couldn't rebind the 3 buttons you had to use in the entire game? Obviously a fucklot of people do. It's beyond me so I will distance myself from this.

27. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 21:08 Dmitri_M

Too bad they'll never bother producing higher resolution, sharper textures for the PC version. Current PC hardware can easily support it - the game ran great, definite headroom available for it on the FPS end. Beyond the control issue this was the only problem I had with the port.  

26. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 20:46 Prez

It's absolutely befuddling to me that people will accept poor porting jobs (and for the record, requiring me to futz around in a .config file or 3rd party graphics program = poor port job) yet are unwilling to accept complaining about a poor port job.

The game was great, yes, but that doesn't excuse sloppy porting, regardless of how easy the fix was/is.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 20:44 Krovven

Give the devs some slack. Controls were awesome with Vsync working properly.

Why should we give them slack? I come to play the game over a year after release, and it still doesn't work properly without the end-user having to research on their own and provide their own fix. This is typical EA bullshit (having worked for them once upon a time). Nothing has changed. They generally put out a PC game and give it the bare minimum of post release support.

Controls were awesome with Vsync working properly.

Did you gloss over what else was said about the controls? That the certain buttons could not be bound in their custom controls screen? This is another typical EA blunder and has been present in dozens of their games. Even if the mouse did function properly I still couldnt use it because I couldnt use my own prefered FPS control config.

So no, I wont give them slack when things such as these should never have gone to release in the first place and at the very least should have been fixed by now.

24. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 20:07 Eldaron Imotholin

Krovven wrote on Jun 14, 2010, 19:39:
People shouldn't have to find work-arounds. Keep on trolling.

The fact that a dev responded to this, specifically mentioning this very issue, should speak volumes.

It is never my intention to troll. You're right that the devs should've released a patch including that workaround in a more user-friendly fashion. They were a bitch that they didn't.

I'm basically just saying that if they bring out Dead Space 2 with the controls of the fixed Dead Space 1, I don't see the problem. I just don't. Like I said, I never noticed any weirdness or trouble or annoying during my first playthrough and I couldn't point out what was even if I wanted to.

And yes, probably because my PC from my first playthrough wasn't tough enough anyway I had no problem with VSync off. Then I got my new PC and without VSync the game's mouse sensitivity was being bipolar, and with Vsync on the game ran like crap and then some. Ingame VSync function was a freakin' mess. Had to force it in windows. Wasn't a problem for NVidia (using driver control center) but it was for ATI (even forcing Vsync in control center didn't help) which asked for that workaround I mentioned.

So yes, indeed, bitches that they didn't fix the ingame Vsync. But again, fix was around the corner. Right next to you if you had an Nvidia card. Give the devs some slack. Controls were awesome with Vsync working properly.

23. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 19:50 Eldaron Imotholin

It was indeed in correlation with the framerate, and at the heart of the error lay VSync, gnawing, like a dirty hungry little leprechaun.

There was this thing with the game not registering mouse-movement in the frames that were over the 30 or 60 per second, or something. I'm not at all a tech geek so this is merely a weak attempt to repeat what I once quickly read somewhere.

Also, new hardware is optimized for higher settings. I've experienced countless of situations in where I was pissed about the performance and was surprised it improved the higher I put the settings. Or your issue was something else entirely. I dunno. Too tired to care atm.

Thing is, I didn't experience anything fucked up with Dead Space and enjoyed it to the core. Even on my second playthrough when I fixed the mouse-control issue.

22. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 19:39 Krovven

Once you got that VSync weirdness fixed

Yet there was a problem that needed fixing. And if someone doesn't go do some research into the problem it won't be fixed.

Why was vsync enabled by default to begin with? Why was vsync left as an option if it had this big of an impact on mouse movement? Why wasn't it ever fixed in a patch?

Hell, first I played it I didn't even have the Vsync issue. Played it from begin to end not once feeling that anything was wrong with the controls. Guess what? Because there wasn't.

Maybe because you disable vsync?

Some of us don't like screen tearing, so it's immediately enabled if it isn't by default.

People either whine, suck, or never found that workaround.

People shouldn't have to find work-arounds. Keep on trolling.

The fact that a dev responded to this, specifically mentioning this very issue, should speak volumes.

21. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 18:34 Ray Marden

Really, can you be a bigger jerk?

Why do you think so many people complain? Why do you think there is a news item about this?

From my own personal experience, I tried the tweaks - it made the game playable at that point compared to the broken mess it was before, but it was hardly a "perfect" solution.

As I stated in my prior post, there was a direct correlation with the framerate. Pay it on my system at 800x600 with minimum settings and, even with the tweaks, it was completely unplayable. Push it up to maximum settings at 1920x1200 and it was drastically better.

So can I use my own experience to completely invalidate what you and anybody else says to the contrarty? Luckily, I won't - I'm not that arrogant or assumptive.
But keep on yelling, yo. RAWW HULK SMASH!!!!!!1111
Guessing I'm just making it all up...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

20. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 18:08 Verno

As if people need a right or reason to complain in the first place If making that minor, 20 second fix is somehow a burden to people then I suggest buying a console.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

19. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 17:44 necrosis

Eldaron Imotholin

There should be no need for a work around which means everyone has their right to complain.

18. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 17:36 Eldaron Imotholin

Once you got that VSync weirdness fixed with the help of ATI tools and whatnot, there was absolutely absolutely nothing wrong with the controls. Nada. Freakin' nothing. And I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. There. I completely spelled it out for you guys. Yup. Nothing.

There was no lag.
The sensitivity was not too low or too high.
There was no issue making it practically impossible for your character to turn while running.

There was no.. fucking... problem.

Hell, first I played it I didn't even have the Vsync issue. Played it from begin to end not once feeling that anything was wrong with the controls. Guess what? Because there wasn't.

Now, after I got my new gig stuff was weird. But that whole ATI tools workaround stuff -- forcing vsync off or something -- fixed the issue.

Conclusion? People either whine, suck, or never found that workaround. If it was the latter, the complains are understood but fuck me.. a fix was around the corner!

17. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 16:35 saluk

Interesting, I have a gamepad and never felt like plugging it in for dead space 1.  

16. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 16:31 vacs

and when did they announce that Dead Space 2 would come to the PC? I thought they didn't want to release it on the PC because of too much "piracy"...  

15. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 15:12 AdamK47

The controls in the first one weren't bad. Disable mouse smoothing, acceleration, and set the speed to 400 in the config file fixed it right up.  

14. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 13:56 Fion

Well this is good, because the controls were such utter shit in the first ones port that I threw the game out after a few hours.  

13. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 13:34 Krovven

I'm sure QA saw the issue, it's like impossible to miss, developers just flat out refused to fix it.

Hence "PASS QA". Passing QA doesn't mean they don't see it. Passing QA means it gets pushed through regardless of the problem.

12. Re: Dead Space 2 PC Control Improvements Jun 14, 2010, 13:32 Krovven

I hope that means fully customizable mouse buttons.

Ahh yes, forgot about that too. I tried to map my Right Mouse Button to move forward...nope can't do...gamepad time.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo