Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Thanks to everyone who clarified that the horrible background noise during the World Cup games is unrelated to the tournament or the sport, but rather comes from horns called vuvuzelas, which are apparently a very popular noise-maker at sporting events in South Africa. There's a little hope, as this article (thanks ColoradoHoudini) says there is talk of banning them because of how irritating folks find them, with the captain of the French team saying it's actually hard to sleep because the vuvuzela playing begins at 6:00 am.

Buzzing Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Construction Fall.
Links: Best Soccer Movies- What to Watch When You're Not Watching World Cup. Thanks Digg.
5 Ways to Get Injured or Dead Doing Yard Work. Thanks Digg.
Stories: An Old Pairing - Summer and Movie Sequels.
Raft guide arrested after helping stranded rafter on Clear Creek.
Images: "Soccer Eh? I'll Just Watch Until Someone Scores...". Thanks Digg.
You Might Get A Heart Attack From Just Looking At These Pictures.
19 Unexpected Faces In Inanimate Objects. Thanks Digg.
Media: The Proudest Moment In Soccer History.
DVD Extra About the Fencing Scenes in Princess Bride. Thanks Joker961.
Who needs a dentist when you have a rocket?
The Funnies: Penny Arcade! - Three-Hee.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2010, 18:58 Golwar

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8807/zidane.gif

hrhrhr

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 16:26 PHJF

Also please don't try to talk down to the fans of other sports while oozing love for soccer.

I don't love football. I don't watch any sport because a) it's boring to watch sports of any kind and b) I don't feel like leeching glory from the accomplishments of total strangers.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 15:58 MattyC

PHJF wrote on Jun 14, 2010, 15:50:
There's a difference between feeling proud of something your comrades have accomplished and leeching glory from the accomplishments of total strangers.

Soccer isn't magical or special, it is simply what you prefer. Other people prefer different things. Also please don't try to talk down to the fans of other sports while oozing love for soccer. It is just silly. As though soccer crowds are always nice, calm, and civil

I see nothing wrong with championing your cause or poking a bit of fun, but you are are more going for pretentious ass at this point.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 15:50 PHJF

There's a difference between feeling proud of something your comrades have accomplished and leeching glory from the accomplishments of total strangers.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 13:19 Kxmode

PHJF wrote on Jun 14, 2010, 12:54:
Americans are way too nationalistic. Of course football hooligans are the same way.

Nationalism is part of the culture; just like it is in virtually every other country on the planet.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 12:54 PHJF

I always have wondered why professional tennis players require silence to play...

For the same reason golfers do. It was originally (and mostly still is) a sport of gentlemen, attracting crowds who are mature enough to let the players compete without interruption. Then you have basketball fans who sit behind the opposing team's basket waving shit around trying to muck up players' concentration. That about sums up the average American spectator. Americans are way too nationalistic. Of course football hooligans are the same way.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 08:40 Mr. Tact

Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2010, 00:04:
Why not just stop all sports noise?
I always have wondered why professional tennis players require silence to play...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 01:11 Jerykk

Synchronized sumo wrestling sounds pretty amazing, actually. It would be like those insane Korean synchronized showcase events, only with hundreds of sumo wrestlers.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 00:07 PHJF

I prefer a sport where 90% of the players' jobs isn't to stand there and push on the guy in front of them. American football is little more than synchronized sumo wrestling.

And the fact that football doesn't have commercial breaks every 90 seconds (a time-honored American tradition) immediately raises its value as a spectator sport far and beyond anything the States has to offer.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 00:06 Dev

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100607/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_soccer_world_vuvuzela
The tests, conducted late last month in a sound-proof studio, found the vuvuzela emitted 127 decibels, more than the air horn -- 123.5 decibels -- and the Brazil's samba drums.

A referee's whistle was fourth while the cowbell, a favourite in Switzerland and Austria, trailed at 114.9 decibels.

"To put it in perspective, when a sound is increased by ten decibels our ears perceive it as being twice as loud, so we would consider the vuvuzela to be more than double the volume of the cowbell," audiologist Robert Beiny said in a statement.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.efd19d609b2f893c2a9387c67e46a53a.1b1
Stores run out of 'vuvu-stopper' earplugs

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2010, 00:04 Dev

necrosis wrote on Jun 13, 2010, 21:08:
I wish the noise of soccer period would stop. I work with two people hopped up on the sport and I am sick of hearing about it.

Maddening when something like soccer drowns out the NHL finals, NBA, and MLB.

Why not just stop all sports noise?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 23:59 MattyC

The Simpsons on soccer was one of my favorites heh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOHdTQd6H8

sums up how I usually feel about it :p

That said I actually enjoy watching a bit of the WC. Kind of neat and it isn't like it happens all the time (like the NBA... UGH does their season ever end? GET OFF THE TV!). The WC has gotten better too. I think it was two back that was just unwatchable. It was just Frenchmen falling down every time they got near someone trying to get a card. I was so happy when they cracked down on that.

But yeah football (the American kind) and rugby are much more entertaining.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 23:30 necrosis

Flipper405 wrote on Jun 13, 2010, 23:21:
I wish the noise of soccer period would stop. I work with two people hopped up on the sport and I am sick of hearing about it.

oh no, you have to listen about soccer one month every 4 years. what a tragedy...[/quote
uite annoying to hear about such a boring and ridiculously over rated sport period.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 23:21 Flipper405

oh no, you have to listen about soccer one month every 4 years. what a tragedy...

to the guys talking about editing it out of the television feed, it's also affecting the players because they can't communicate as well on the field.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 21:08 necrosis

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 20:38 PHJF

Woot I was blue phantoming on 4-2 and we were invaded... put on thief's and graverobber's, waited at a corner... BP walks by... BOOM BACKSTAB + death.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 18:37 xXBatmanXx

I ordered the Tilt2 - who was it that has one and we were chatting?

E-Mail me.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 18:03 Mark

Vulvas make that noise??  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 17:58 Wolfen

What? No Science section?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 17:53 Golwar

We won't foce you to love football as much as we do Hump.
I for one quite enjoyed what our german team delivered today.

About the Vuvuzelas - a filter on tv won't be enough. The usual stadium atmosphere still would be lost and this takes a huge part from the joy.
And with all this noise the players on the field have troubles to communicate, which is a disadvantage for the game.

The FIFA should have listened to the criticism from the Confed Cup last year. But alas, the douche named Josef Blatter always knows it better.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo