Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue and I have been trying to broaden our horizons a bit by watching some of the World Cup. We have been able to keep up well enough, as association football/soccer is not an overly complicated game, but we have had a harder time figuring out is what is generating the constant background noise in the stadium. There's some sort of whining buzzing sound like a giant swarm of bees or flies that seems to originate from the crowd, and it really starts to make one crazy after a while. In spite of how annoying it is, it never stops, and it even seems likely that there are microphones to help pick it up for the broadcast. It is hard for me to imagine watching a lot of this sport with that maddening noise in the background. In fact, I would not be shocked to learn that it is a subconscious motivator for the "hooligan" behavior often attributed to the sport's fans.

R.I.P.: Peter Keefe, Creator of Cartoon ‘Voltron,’ Dies at 57. Thanks Neutronbeam.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Castle Wars 2.
Lightbot 2.
Link: The 10 Most Influential Video Games of All Time.
Stories: Rich countries accused of carbon 'cheating'.
Science: 'Dark Pulse Laser' produces bursts of ... almost nothing.
Most comets may have extra-solar origin.
Common pain relievers raise heart risk for healthy people.
I Need To Up My Grocery List Game.
New Captioned Mars Images.
Media: Oblivion: Patrick Stewart's Emperor Uriel Septim goes mad.
The strange, hypnotic allure of -Get out of there! Thanks nin.
The Funnies: Dilbert and Dilbert.
Follow-up: The Animal-Cruelty Syndrome. Thanks j.c.f.
Tea: The Elixir of a Long Life.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 16:39 Kxmode

Sigh  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 15:59 Ant

kxmode wrote on Jun 13, 2010, 15:54:
Why do they call it the The Karate Kid when Jackie Chan is teaching Kung Fu? They should have called the remark The Kung Fu Kid.
Because everyone remembers The Karate Kid name! Who would care for "The Kung Fu Kid"? It's all about marketing/branding for $$!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

36. Re: vuvuzelas Jun 13, 2010, 15:58 unaloony

Otherwise, the sound is quite good. During those few moments when they aren't playing the .. uh .. 'vuvuzelas' you can actually hear the football players calling out plays to each other and the sound of balls bouncing off player's heads. It's almost spooky, like there's no fans in the audience.  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 15:54 Kxmode

Why do they call it the The Karate Kid when Jackie Chan is teaching Kung Fu? They should have called the remark The Kung Fu Kid.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 15:38 ColoradoHoudini

I didn't see a link in this thread yet.. so..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

They are considering banning the damn annoying horns.
Err, I mean, I see talk of it, but there's the link

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 14:09 Jonny

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 19:17:
The networks need to filter that irritating shit out or its going to crush ratings. We had the volume on at work till everyone started complaing about the hum, so we killed the volume and put the music back on.

FIFA's considering banning the vuvuzela from grounds because of all the complaints worldwide. That's not going to be popular in South Africa.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 13:36 Shawshank

Fion wrote on Jun 13, 2010, 12:53:
Shawshank wrote on Jun 13, 2010, 09:42:
And Americans wonder why the world hates them.
Everything to an American is = America is the best.

Please don't generalize. It certainly is a big thing to believe in 'American Exceptionalism' in this country but many of us realize that America stopped being Exceptional many years ago. Frankly the US is so backwards in so many ways compared to the rest of the modern world. I find the only people who believe this are those who have never left the country (or at least never traveled outside Mexico or Canada.) Oh and of course Republicans, who are a large reason America has been so left behind with their puritanicalism that has so very pulled the USA down as the rest of the world has reached forward.

Yes that's right, I am an American and I don't believe we are exceptional. Big f'ing deal.

Edit: Oh and I'm sorry US Football fans (I personally am not into sports at all) but Football's popularity is dwarfed by the fandom of 'Soccer' around the world.

Please don't quote me out of context. Please read thru the entire post before you generalize what I said. Thanks!

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 12:53 Fion

Shawshank wrote on Jun 13, 2010, 09:42:

Please don't generalize. It certainly is a big thing to believe in 'American Exceptionalism' in this country but many of us realize that America stopped being Exceptional many years ago. Frankly the US is so backwards in so many ways compared to the rest of the modern world. I find the only people who believe this are those who have never left the country (or at least never traveled outside Mexico or Canada.) Oh and of course Republicans, who are a large reason America has been so left behind with their puritanicalism that has so very pulled the USA down as the rest of the world has reached forward.

Yes that's right, I am an American and I don't believe we are exceptional. Big f'ing deal.

Edit: Oh and I'm sorry US Football fans (I personally am not into sports at all) but Football's popularity is dwarfed by the fandom of 'Soccer' around the world.

30. Soccer Vs./Versus. American Football... Jun 13, 2010, 12:31 Ant

Heh, I made a poll about this topic in http://www.aqfl.net/?q=node/8166 ... [grin]

Go NBA's Lakers!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 11:59 Mr. Tact

Soccer and baseball are similar sports in my mind. Both can be, even for fans, long and boring. However, for people who understand the game they can thoroughly enjoy a well played 0-0 match/game.

As far as "most popular" or "most watched", I don't give a flying f*ck.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 11:55 Cutter

Super Bowl is the a very big sporting event in America.
It is just that, an American Sport.
It doesn't concern the world.

While it's mainly an American sport, its not entirely an American sport. And lets face it, the reason soccer is a world wide sport is it's a peasant sport. You don't even need a soccer ball, just something that resembles a ball. North American sports generally require a good deal of equipment and specific locales to play them which costs money most soccer nations can't easily afford.

And I don't care what anyone says it's boring. I'm still undecided which is more boring, baseball or soccer, but they're both boring as hell.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 11:50 PHJF

Actually, comparing would be quite a difficult task as WC has discrete games to count while Olympics has near constantly numerous events going on concurrently.

That's funny, all I ever saw when I turned on the winter olypmics was fucking curling. And they wonder why viewership is low.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 10:32 DG

Um, I'm pretty sure the superbowl thing was good humour and Olympics was the serious answer. Not sure which of those is bigger, pretty sure they are the two biggest by a very big margin over the rest though.

Actually, comparing would be quite a difficult task as WC has discrete games to count while Olympics has near constantly numerous events going on concurrently. Do you count peak eyeballs, average eyeballs, discrete number of eyeballs that watched at least x hours, total aggregate eyeball hours...

The football hasn't gotten very exciting yet. Some of it is down to the ball which seems to slice very easily as it's very light. Plus since it's early days they're most nervous plus nobody is desperate for wins yet.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 09:42 Shawshank

Sometimes, not everything is first/best in America.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate America, I just hate the attitudes of some Americans.

Super Bowl is the a very big sporting event in America.
It is just that, an American Sport.
It doesn't concern the world.

The FIFA World cup is the largest single sporting event in the world.

Keep in mind the qualifications matches to go to the event started years before the World Cup in South Africa started on June 11th.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 05:51 Ant

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 21:25:
My 8 inch METAL Voltron action figure is right here at my desk. Has been for many years.

I recently acquired all of the Voltron cartoons....and I must say....after watching 4-5 of them...I quit - as I like to remember how awesome they were as a kid - not how poorly they are written and such as an adult.

RIP! Thank you for Voltron.
I still have mine (got it in the mid 80s in PA) in a big toy box with all my other toys. Its metal parts are all rusty though.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 05:26 Dmitri_M

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 21:22:
So please come down off of your horse.

Was what I said a little outside of your comfort zone? Poor thing.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 02:37 xXBatmanXx

There are more countries affiliated to FIFA than to UN.

That isn't a good thing.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 00:58 frag.machine

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 18:14:
I'm think it's great the largest sporting event in the world isn't American, kinda hard joining into something when it isn't American made? I don't mean to sound like I'm trolling, but for the rest of us who watch American\Euro television or American films as a norm we don't dwell on cultural differences and aren't taken aback or offended by minor things.

So first you say it is a pain in the ass, then you say we are being jerks.....well, this isn't the largest sporting event, I believe the Super Bowl is. (Or probably the Olympics)

So please come down off of your horse.

Football, or "soccer" as people in the USA insist to call it (funny thing you guys to call "football" a sport where you don't use a real ball and most of the time is played with the hands) it's indeed the more popular sport in the world, and the World Cup is the biggest event in the world for an individual sport. There are more countries affiliated to FIFA than to UN.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 00:33 sliv

...after watching 4-5 of them...I quit -

I've seen the box sets on sale and on several occasion I almost bought some of them. I don't specifically for that reason. The memories will always be better than what they really were. Television has gotten so sophisticated and so have we as viewers that to watch these old shows makes you ever wonder how you liked it in the first place.

Oh, and the Lion Voltron was the only Voltron, even back then the vehicle one was disgraceful...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2010, 22:00 Cram

well, this isn't the largest sporting event, I believe the Super Bowl is. (Or probably the Olympics)

I was curious by this so I spent 10 minutes looking at various sites about viewership and attendance for these kinds of events, Superbowl and WorldCup included. It seems that the WorldCup absolutely obliterates the Superbowl. An estimated 715 million people watched the 2006 world cup final. That's a little under 7 times more than this years Superbowl I believe. Plus we're dealing with an event that happens once every year versus an event that happens once every four years. As for the Olympics, still looking for numbers that have some proof behind them.

Edit: Having a difficult time figuring out the Olympics. Several various places are saying the 2010's had over 3 Billion Worldwide viewers. They still show commercials in Vancouver for some of the media outlets that covered it (like CBC and TSN in Canada) talking about how many people viewed them. I find those figures extremely difficult to believe, but who knows.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2010, 22:14.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo