Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I heard on the radio that today is "National Iced Tea Day," though this is not a prominent enough occasion to warrant a listing in the Wikipedia. I've never been a big hot tea (as they call it in southern states) drinker, but I've always liked the iced kind, though I have to admit my taste in this is fairly lowbrow, as I can drink the powdered stuff just as happily as the fresh kind. I found a Perfect Iced Tea article on TexasCooking.com, so maybe in honor of the occasion I will see if I like the "perfect" variety more.

Perfect Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Simple Soccer Championship.
The Breach.
Links: 15 Retro Video Game Company Logos and their Modern-Day Counterparts. Thanks Neatorama.
How Video Games Become Movies- An Infographic. Thanks Digg.
History’s Ten Greatest Prison Escapes. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Spillonomics - Underestimating Risk. Thanks j.c.f.
Good sign for economy: More people are quitting jobs.
EU biofuels 'need to be certified for sustainability'.
Science: Swiss solar innovator wins Millennium Technology prize.
A New Comet McNaught Could Be Seen with Naked Eye. Thanks brother19.
FAA adds brainpower to mix unmanned aircraft with commercial aviation. Thanks Joker961 via Slashdot.
Archaeologists Discover World's Oldest Leather Shoe. Thanks Neutronbeam.
"Found You."
Weather Forecast Win.
Media: BP Spills Coffee. NSFW.
DJO - Star Trek DS9 - Fish Cream. NSFW. Thanks Cram.
A Wonderful 4 Chords. NSFW.
Follow-ups: Study identifies 'many more' autism genes.
Raising Remnants of Oil Rig Is Still on the Agenda. Thanks j.c.f.
Exxon Valdez Lawyer- Louisianans, 'To Use A Legal Term,' Are 'Just F--ked'.
NASA gets front row seat for fiery "man-made meteor" reentry.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 04:42 mag

Yeah, it's not nearly as hard as people make it seem. I've died a few times, but it was always something like: died from a falling rock trap the first time I encountered it, one-hit-killed by a dude with a polearm while I was level one (and dead), jumped off a ledge because I'm dumb as hell.

I've had it for a few months, but really haven't put too much time into the game due to being busy with other things. Despite that, I think it's probably one of my favorites of the past few years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2010, 11:25 PHJF

Well he is a mite hard given that he's SUPPOSED to kill the player.

I'm surprised at how easy the bosses are in this game. When I heard this was such an incredibly challenging game I figured it'd have sadistically difficult bosses (like Devil May Cry), but the bosses I've fought have all been pushovers (1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2010, 08:25 mag

Nice. I got him down to one-hit-remaining on my first try, but have always died at around 25% every other time. Have never successfully taken him down--I suck!  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2010, 21:43 Mr. Tact

This tea discussion reminds me an incident my mother told me about. Her and my father were on a driving vacation -- basically visiting various state and national parks. Anyway, they stopped at a small diner/restaurant in Texas for lunch. My mother ordered "tea". The waitress brought her a glass of ice tea. My mother told her, "Oh, I'm sorry I wanted hot tea." The waitress looked very confused. But picked up the glass and walked away. She returned with a glass of ice tea without ice. My mother was so dumbfound by this action she simply gave up.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2010, 19:42 PHJF

If you are alive (you'll be dead and in soul form 97% of the time most likely) you can approach blue messages on the ground and summon up to two players to join your game. Monsters don't get any harder, so you can essentially triple your chances of beating a zone and boss.

When you are in soul form, you can place a blue message on the ground and wait for a living player to invite you. You can revive yourself by using rare stones of Ephemeral Eyes (and I do mean rare) or by joining a living player and killing his zone's boss with him. A living player can only invite blue phantoms (friendly players) to his game in zones where the living player HASN'T yet killed the zone boss.

Alternatively, when you are dead you can "invade" a living player's game and, if you kill him, you will be revived. When you are a living player, you can be invaded by other players.

The "official" PVP happens between lvls 120-130. This is because you can only join or invade games of players within 10 lvls of your own initially (the lvl gap grows as soul lvl gets higher), so players settled on LVL125 as the preferred level.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2010, 17:13 mch

Ah, well I failed him and continued...bummer. I went magician and I just finished the first area. Took a while but well worth it, I'm really liking this game.

Not sure how the multiplayer works beyond the bloodstains and messages but I'm interested in trying it out.

PSN: CaseDesignate

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2010, 17:04 PHJF

Died on that tutorial boss and didn't get another chance at him (I thought you were supposed to die in that fight in order to end up in the Nexus?)

You are supposed to die, but it IS possible to kill him (and actually pretty easy with a class like Wanderer). Killing him nets you an extra Demon Soul. You have to reload your game after he kills you and replay the tutorial (which takes all of ~3 minutes).

And no, I got it from Amazon for ~$40 a few weeks ago. I did, on the other hand, buy from Amazon both FFXIII and GoW3 for $38 a piece; they were on sale a couple days ago.

Now I need R&C: Crack in Time, Uncharted 2, maybe Heavy Rain, maybe MAG. So far I have...

Red Dead
R&C: Tools
Burnout
Brutal Leg
Demons
MGS4
Uncharted 1
FFXIII
GoW3

Red Dead was the only game I'll ever pay $60 for, and I only did that on impulse when I picked up my ps3.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2010, 15:42 xXBatmanXx

Holy crap! 30!!!!

Just looked at it is also 30 at gamestop.
Guess I will be grabbing this today!
See you guys online!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2010, 10:06 mch

I just started Demon's Souls as well. I'm assuming you got the $30 Amazon deal?

Started it last night and got my ass whooped

Died on that tutorial boss and didn't get another chance at him (I thought you were supposed to die in that fight in order to end up in the Nexus?). Then I spent about an hour or more dying on the first level. My skills need work

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2010, 00:09 PHJF

He killed me three times, and always when I had him below 50% HP. The third time he killed me he had ~2% HP left. I finally killed him because he basically just kept spamming his ass stomp.

He wasn't difficult except I made the mistake of putting a gap between us. I'd try to stay on his ass so I could easily dodge his axe, but he'd invariably back himself into a wall and I couldn't flank. When I backed away to draw him out he one-hits me from across the room

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 23:55 mag

PHJF: But did you beat the first tutorial boss without dying?  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 22:39 PHJF

OK, I've begun my treacherous journey through Demon's Souls just now. After substantial research prior to my departure, I managed world 1-1 with no deaths. Somehow I think future levels will be more... troublesome.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 21:51 xXBatmanXx

Greenday as well right? Wait - they use 3.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 19:31 Cutter

LOL DG, thanks. Sound advice there.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. A Wonderful 4 Chords. Jun 10, 2010, 17:33 Prez

As a musician, I've known about the "magic 4 chords" for decades. The reason I love this video is because it illustrates perfectly why Pop music is so unoriginal and derivative to a non-musician.

The sad thing is that these guys only covered about 5% of the hit pop hits that use the "Magic 4". Bands like 'Nickleback' and artists like 'Daughtry' use them almost exclusively to make their millions.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 17:03 DG

Cutter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agy6KOSwyA8  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 15:15 mch

Fang wrote on Jun 10, 2010, 15:01:

That may be true in reference to the history of slavery, but Maryland/DC didn't join the Confederacy, and culturally, they really aren't a part of the "South".

Well, Maryland wasn't allowed to join the confederacy (Baltimore riot, etc), but I agree. I wouldn't consider Maryland part of the South and I doubt many people south of Maryland would either.

Fang wrote on Jun 10, 2010, 15:01:
Ah, you must be from the Maryland/DC side of the DC area. I grew up on the Virginia side of the DC area, and we didn't consider Northern Virginia a part of the "South". If you use the Civil War as reference, the Union army always held Northern Virginia (ie. Fairfax County), which is why there were big battles at Bull Run, on the southern border of NOVA. For today's reference, Fairfax County always votes Democrat, while the rest of the state votes Republican.

Yep, from the northern side of the area but I'm very familiar - I work in NOVA and it is definitely quite different from the rest of the state. Still, if we had to draw north/south line at a state line, I'd say the VA line, but otherwise I'd probably say Richmond and below.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 15:14  Blue 

Ah, you must be from the Maryland/DC side of the DC area. I grew up on the Virginia side of the DC area, and we didn't consider Northern Virginia a part of the "South". If you use the Civil War as reference, the Union army always held Northern Virginia (ie. Fairfax County), which is why there were big battles at Bull Run, on the southern border of NOVA. For today's reference, Fairfax County always votes Democrat, while the rest of the state votes Republican.

I thought it was generally understood that Washington DC was an attempt to place the nation's capital in a place which was neither north nor south.

In fact it was considered to be the south at the time. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C. :

In what later became known as the Compromise of 1790, Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Jefferson came to an agreement that the federal government would assume war debt carried by the states, on the condition that the new national capital would be located in the Southern United States.

And for the record, the tea anecdote I related took place in Emporia, VA, which is about 10 miles from the North Carolina border. I think you'd have to be more southern than Foghorn Leghorn to not consider that the south (y'all).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 15:04 Fang

That is what I based the comment on: I was in a restaurant in Virginia for breakfast and my girlfriend ordered tea and got iced tea, and we were told if you want it hot you have to ask for "hot tea."

Yeah, and they would probably look at you funny and ask "without ice???"

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2010, 15:01 Fang

Yep, even Maryland/DC where I'm at are technically considered the South. Anything south of the Mason Dixon line.

That may be true in reference to the history of slavery, but Maryland/DC didn't join the Confederacy, and culturally, they really aren't a part of the "South".

Personally I'd say Virginia and below, but that's just me.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo