Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor

VG247 reports a rumor that Valve's E3 surprise will be the announcement of the Source Engine 2. They attribute this to a "VG247 source," who wishes to remain anonymous. Their source also suggests the possibility this will be shown off running Half-Life 3, showing even rumors can bury the lede.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 17:14 theyarecomingforyou

Having to look at something say "LOADING" every 15 seconds is not exactly a FEATURE. And since the Dunia and the JC2 engine have shown that you can build absolutely GINORMOUS game worlds without EVER seeing a single loading screen, it's about time that Valve's poopy approach to doing levels goes the way of the dodo.
Exactly. FC2 looked amazing and had virtually no loading times. And despite Source's awesome character models and animations the engine itself is pretty dated. It's in serious need of a revamp and I'm sure it will happen, even though the announcement here only turned out to be a delay to Portal 2.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 14:28 RenownWolf

Creston! Excatly what I was thinking about when playing through recently. Level streaming has come along way and HL2 would feel even more "open" than it does even though it's pretty linear in where you can go.

They did a good job with level design to make you feel like it was much bigger than it really was, but it was all just BSP levels like most games.

http://www.renownwolf.com

50. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 12:34 Creston

Luther wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 07:19:
I can't honestly say I understand why people go on about the source engine being long in the tooth - they've evolved the code base ever since the start and add new features with every release;

Having to look at something say "LOADING" every 15 seconds is not exactly a FEATURE. And since the Dunia and the JC2 engine have shown that you can build absolutely GINORMOUS game worlds without EVER seeing a single loading screen, it's about time that Valve's poopy approach to doing levels goes the way of the dodo.

Creston

49. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 12:30 Rosco

I read somewhere yesterday that Neil Manke was ill and They Hunger: Lost Souls was suspended.  
Consoles are schwag.

48. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 12:20 Zardoz5

In my opinion there has to be an Episode 3 to finish off the narrative arc of the Episodes. Given the cliffhanger ending of Ep. 2, how could they start off Half-Life 3? They could do a video montage or something and show how it got to the point that Ep. 2 left off at but I think it would be a silly to start a game like that.  

47. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 12:18 Prez

nin wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 09:55:
Fuck fuck fuckity fuck, Hellbinder!

---------------------------------
Time for a bullet to the head, dude.

Okay, now THAT is funny. And it probably made poor Helly start frothing at the mouth with rage - using profanity AND violence in one post! It's a good thing you didn't make a sexual reference - his head might have exploded. (And what good would that be, if no one is there to see it, photograph it, and post the pics for us to see?)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 10:30 ASeven

Wasn't aware Gabe wasn't going to E3. I too can't see such a huge announcement like Source 2 and/or HL3 without him. Though I also wouldn't mind it being Black Mesa, or a new IP.  

45. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 10:24 Frijoles

El_Cristoir wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 09:20:
- is rumoured by an anonymous source that it will be Source 2 / HL3
- will not announced by Gabe, as he won't be at e3

I'd be very surprised if HL3 were announced without Gabe. Seems like something he'd want to be in on.

Also, I clicked the link only because Hellbinder freaked out. Was not disappointed.

44. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 09:55 nin

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck, Hellbinder!

---------------------------------
Time for a bullet to the head, dude.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

43. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 09:35 InBlack

Hellbinder wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 03:01:
Hoop wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 01:28:
You will all be appeased with footage of Alex's pert breasts and tight A$$ jiggling all the more for the extra source.

What a jiggling pussy may look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHbNlxRNBQ

OK BLUE THIS STUFF IS WRONG. Glad to see you allow this kind of language and conduct on a site everyone including kids hang out at.

you are Responsible!

You should be getting rid of posts and posters like this but im sure "freedom of speech" aka (perversion) is much more important than all the 9 year old kids that read this site and get all the filth your foul mouthed buddies post all the time.

IT is utterly unbelievable what utter FILTH is floating around in most of the minds that post here.

Freedom of Speech aka Perversion? I rarely get worked up by internet trolls and fanatics but this kind of shit really gets me going. Go to Hell you Nazi fanatic! People like you make me sick....

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 09:20 El_Cristoir

So, this "surprise" announcement..

- is not of interest to XBox or PS3 users
- is not Episode 3
- is rumoured by an anonymous source that it will be Source 2 / HL3
- will not announced by Gabe, as he won't be at e3

I find it hard to reconcile the Source 2 rumour with the statement that it will be of no interest to console users. It would be an odd move for a company of Valve's size to go PC-exclusive on their next big engine launch. That just doesn't add up to me.

Personally, I'd love to see a new "Orange Box" style product containing;

- Half Life 3
- Black Mesa Source
- Portal 2

I think it's probably a given at this point that Ep3 is no more, and has been rolled up into a hypothetical HL3.

41. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 08:45 ASeven

/FÂ\ SLI wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 08:31:
but PC piracy is a big one

Oh, it's that excuse again.

Anyway, to paraphrase many articles out there:

"It's since been reported that a '360 and PS3 journalist' has been told by Valve that the 'surprise' at E3 won't be of great interest to them."

40. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 08:31 /FÂ\ SLI

All this is a grain of salt to be sure, BUT:

I have thought for some time (even before this whole portal 2 show/no show thing) was that the delay for HL2-EP3/HL3 was due to Valve updating the Source engine. Wether this means "Source 2" or not, I dont know. But what I THINK is that it is some kind of new Source..and that it is MULTIPLATFORM.

Without starting a piracy debate the fact is ALL major game engine developers are now in full swing of working on multiplatform support. It is the only way to remain profitable and viable in todays enviornment. The reasons for this are varied, but PC piracy is a big one (I know steam eliviates this SOMEWHAT, but expanding to support consoles is a logical step, and "everyone is doing it")

Second. It "gets them off the hook" with regard to HL2-EP3/HL3 delays. Showing off a new Source (and PERHAPS HL"3" running on it) would go a long way to appease (or at least "bait-and-switch") the complainers about the half-life delays. And gives them more time to now work on it without the naysayers reaching fever pitch, or at least, the inevitable comparisons to Duke Nukem Forever. ;-)

Third. That VG247 article did say something about the announcement coming AFTER Microsoft and Sony's keynotes. This may play into the hands of an announcement of Source becoming multi-platform.

That being said, apparently, Gabe Newell will NOT be at E3. I, for one, would think that if there really was an announcement like that, he would be the one to do it.

Fun to speculate,but I guess we will all know in a bit over a week...

39. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 08:28 StingingVelvet

I can't see why they would launch a new Source now. Maybe if they were the type of company to really pimp PC tech and exclusives in order to get people on Steam, but they have proven for 5+ years now that they do not want to do that. Source looks fine for current-gen consoles and they want the PC versions to be playable for as many people as possible... a new engine is not in the cards I bet.

Maybe they will announce multiple upgrades to Source, and maybe Half-Life 3 or something similar, but I doubt even that.

It will be some Portal 2 feature. That's it.

38. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 08:11 RenownWolf

I wouldn't mind seeing a new engine taking advantage of some new features. The minor updates so far are nice but somethings could be changed on a lower level.

Considering the code base comes from Quake I have no problems with how it works, but I'd like to see support for a new renderer for some of the nice features that have come from Opengl 3.x and DX10/11.

That said, I always thought that source games felt more "real" especially Half-Life 2 than most other FPS games I've played, but that most likely comes from the setting of Half-Life 2 and knowing how to use the engine right rather than the engine itself.

http://www.renownwolf.com

37. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 08:09 Jim

Half-Life 3 is one of the items on the very short list that would encourage me to buy a new PC.  
Jim

36. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 07:19 Luther

I can't honestly say I understand why people go on about the source engine being long in the tooth - they've evolved the code base ever since the start and add new features with every release; this one will probably be more so as it's been some time since the last major release of a valve game, other than L4D2.
My own engine might have lots of modern features now but it still contains code that's around 15 years old; Because that stuff works and there's no real need to rewrite it.

Still, I'm really looking forward to what Valve have done this time, I have the utmost respect for that team.

35. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 06:57 Golwar

Well NOW I'm really interested into Valve's surprise. And it would even somehow explain why they made L4D2 so quickly. Still don't like it though.

I wonder what happened to Hellbender when he was 9 years old. Whatever it was, it should be banned for the sake of humanity.

34. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 05:26 Sleette

Considering they'll probably want to target the console market, I'm not really all that excited about a graphics engine upgrade when the XBOX360 has pretty much set the ceiling for graphics.

I am looking forward to another HL game and Portal 2.

33. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 04:28 Prez

Oh joy. Hellbinder came in to spew his divine wisdom. Lucky, lucky us.

You are yelling at Blue for "allowing" something that he undoubtedly hasn't seen yet. I know it doesn't apply to the divine-natured angelic souls like yourself, but the rest of us heathen infidels have to sleep occasionally.

There IS a report function, not that you'd ever use it. Pontificating to the unclean dwellers of the den of iniquity is so much more fun, isn't it?

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2010, 04:36.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo