Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bad Company 2 Uproar

A thread titled "DICE rubbing it in our faces" on the Electronic Arts UK Community Forums features users voicing complaints over something that was noticed in the recent trailer promoting the VIP Map Pack #3 for Battlefield: Bad Company 2, DICE's military shooter sequel. The clip shows the M14 with a 4X optical sight, which is not available in the game. This has lead users to draw the conclusion that this is an old video shot before the M14 optics were removed from the game prior to release, suggesting the new VIP content was ready prior to release. A post by Barrie "Bazajaytee" Tingle says the video is actually recent, and explains that: "The optics shown in the video are an option the video recording team have access to that can show optics enabled versions of the guns instead of the ones in the final game. Whether optics get added into the game is still a decision that lies with Demize99." This has lead to a lot of posts calling shenanigans, and general discontent among the thread participants. Thanks joao.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 10, 2010, 03:07 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 01:22:
Are people actually surprised by this? The vast majority of DLC is finished and ready to go before a game is even released.

Or you have cases like valve where they promise all sorts of things for L4D1 like new characters, special infected, weapons, with more and faster content updates than TF2 and then decide they'd rather bundle them into a new game and sell it just 1 year later. And then abandon the original game despite promises otherwise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 20:42 Rigs

@Rigs - Awesome B5 quote in your sig.

Much obliged. My absolutely favorite quote of the show. 'Course, I can't fit the whole quote due to space, but this works. It's really the one and only time that Sheridan gets totally pissed in the whole show and I loved every second of it...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2010, 20:50.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 19:04 born2expire

Verno wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 14:54:
Most of those idiots are probably whoring the AN-94 for all its worth and have never touched the M14 anyways. Oh no, we didn't get the gun attachment we wanted, surely the game is fucking us!

I "whore" the AN-94 mostly, i used it before the buff, and I will use it after, AK's are always the best guns in games. I still have over 400 kills with the M14 and the iron sight on it is horribly broken. I really just want the red dot for the M14, and I couldn't care less about the 4X scope, but the fact that DICE flaunts it in multiple trailers is a piss off.

27. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 16:34 ASeven

Another quick view of that thread shows this post by 19Staplers, maybe this is the real reason for the uproar? Who knows.

"I'll bottom line it for you. You need to admit to one of two options. Either the VIP maps are disc-locked and being drip-fed, or there is no real effort being made to create new content. Of course, the third option is that there's a real map pack in the works and it's still super secret, but if, as advertised, we won't be charged for new maps, it makes little sense to wait to release them all at once. If there is a real map pack in the works and even one map is finished, then admit to being entirely senseless."

26. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 14:54 Verno

Most of those idiots are probably whoring the AN-94 for all its worth and have never touched the M14 anyways. Oh no, we didn't get the gun attachment we wanted, surely the game is fucking us!  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

25. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 14:05 ASeven

From what I can understand, most of the users there asked for the M14 optics, making a poll and such that showed the large majority wanting the M14 optics. Since most guns have optics and that one hasn't, including the optics in the 3 map pack trailers really pissed people off. They really want the optics, so I think the uproar is basically that there's a feature in the trailers that DICE says can't put in because of balance or some shit like that.

Basically, the community there thinks DICE gave them the finger and are none too happy about it. I think, it's what I manage to gather from the posts.

24. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 13:15 Flo

Sign of getting old: No understanding for what those kids are whining about. Back in the days we started flame wars about UT vs. Q3, though...  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

23. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 11:17 Verno

Yes because god knows marketing trailers never have features that aren't seen in the actual game Rolleyes No one seems to bat an eye at the ridiculous CGI trailers that end up not even tangibly related to actual gameplay.

Much ado about nothing.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

22. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 11:07 born2expire

Tusker wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 03:08:
born2expire wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 21:14:
Nice bait and switch DICE, you know that is false advertising right?

A bait and switch is advertising one thing and then offering another - how does that apply here?

the bait and switch comment, was in regard to the M14 optics. This is the 2nd trailer that they have shown it, and clearly have no intention of adding it. So basically they are advertising features that are not in the game.

21. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 10:54 nin

the uproar is over the content being created then instead of being included in the initial release, being sold to console and at times pc users at a later date in a expansion pack. game companies do this to milk customers if they can not charge a monthly fee.

Haven't they already given away two map packs for free, though?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 10:44 orizzonte

Elessar wrote on Jun 9, 2010, 10:20:
A freaking uproar over the lack of a scope in a game? Seriously?

Some people's behavior is absolutely laughable.

the uproar is over the content being created then instead of being included in the initial release, being sold to console and at times pc users at a later date in a expansion pack. game companies do this to milk customers if they can not charge a monthly fee.

19. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 10:20 Elessar

A freaking uproar over the lack of a scope in a game? Seriously?

Some people's behavior is absolutely laughable.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

18. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 08:52 theyarecomingforyou

@Rigs - Awesome B5 quote in your sig.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 04:28 bigspender

its pretty much a non issue, dunno what everyone is crying about - ffs its free anyway  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

16. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 03:08 Tusker

born2expire wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 21:14:
Nice bait and switch DICE, you know that is false advertising right?

A bait and switch is advertising one thing and then offering another - how does that apply here?

15. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 02:02 Rigs

Oh, for Christ's sake...Are you kidding me? Anything to have a hissy fit. Yes, DLC is usually done before release. That's not always the case, but with most titles it is. Hell, most of the content for GTA4's DLC 'episodes' were already there at release, and even playable (to a point) with the help of a trainer. I thought this was common knowledge? Why the hell do you think they came up with the damn idea anyway? To lose money on after-release support? Of course not. Most DLC is already done and ready, though some might need a little more coding and content before it's released to the public (like GTA4's Lost and Damned and most of Mass Effect 2's DLC).

I don't see the big deal with DICE showing something not available in the actual game itself. It's almost akin to watch before-release trailers and having some features cut that were shown in the trailer. Granted, yes, this is after release, but it's the same concept...at least to me anyway... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

14. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 01:28 Prez

People, gamers in particular, always realize way too late just how much they get fleeced on a regular basis.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 01:22 Jerykk

Are people actually surprised by this? The vast majority of DLC is finished and ready to go before a game is even released.  

12. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 9, 2010, 00:30 Wildone

BlackLight Tango down..more for your money!!!  

11. Re: Bad Company 2 Uproar Jun 8, 2010, 23:55 Rhett

Yep, makes sense. Hold back content, release only to those who acquire a $15 code or buy the game new. If you don't have to make new content, you don't need to spend any more money.

Still hate the system though. Allows too much manipulation over DLC...

Same happened to Splinter Cell: Conviction, but at least it was still free.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo