Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Pro Gamer Fitness

UK paper the Telegraph reflects the results of research into the idea of computer games as sport, where the abilities of pro gamers were compared to professional athletes. The gamers were comparable in a number of respects, including reflexes (saying they "reacted to visual stimuli almost as fast as fighter jet pilots") and mental outlook (their "reaction time, motor skill, competitiveness and emotions were pretty close"). Perhaps unsurprisingly, however, they found a 20-year-old to be surprisingly out of shape, saying in spite of looking fit, "tests revealed he in fact had the lung function and aerobic fitness of a heavy smoker in his sixties." This prompts University of Essex researcher Dr. Dominic Micklewright to say: "Someone of this age should be much fitter, but perhaps this is the occupational hazard of the professional gamer who can spend around 10 hours a day in front of a screen." There's no word on how fit Dr. Micklewright is. Thanks [H]ard-OCP.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 9, 2010, 11:34 Verno

LittleMe wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 16:10:
Verno is a generic mentally conditioned statist that every forum tends to have, though what is he doing on a gaming website posting statist rants in gaming topics never has been explained. He does stick to his gimmick with admirable zeal however.

That's just lazy and you apparently don't know the meaning of the words you're using.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 9, 2010, 01:16 zirik

how many here actually play 10 hours a day and still find time to keep fit? pro gaming will never become an athletic sport. its just a pipe dream for sponsors to get something positive out of being a glorified couch potato. just look at how fatal1ty came out. do we really want to look like him at that age?  

18. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 19:13 Prez

"tests revealed he in fact had the lung function and aerobic fitness of a heavy smoker in his sixties."

**Cough** Wheeze** Cough** That can't be true! **Gasp**Cough**

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 18:42 Blackhawk

shaggy wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 11:00:

Athletes can see gains by working out in what they enjoy. Gamers do not.

Nonsense. Moderate physical activity increases mental acuity. That isn't an anecdote, it is a well researched, proven fact. 30 minutes a day of aerobic activity most certainly would improve their game.

16. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 16:10 LittleMe

Verno is a generic mentally conditioned statist that every forum tends to have, though what is he doing on a gaming website posting statist rants in gaming topics never has been explained. He does stick to his gimmick with admirable zeal however.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

15. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 16:01 Dr. D. Schreber

I just took the easy way out; I played Dance Dance Revolution for an hour a day until I lost 200lbs. And then my doctor stopped telling me I needed a lifestyle change.

Gaming is as healthy as you make it.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

14. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 15:38 Verno

He is the generic tinfoil hat conspiracy theory nut that every forum tends to have, though what he is doing on a gaming website posting political rants in gaming topics has never been explained. He does stick to his gimmick with admirable zeal however.  

13. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 15:24 bobbyweenus

Pretty sure littleme is trolling. I mean, if I wanted the government regulating my gaming, I'd have voted for Hilary and we'd all be enjoying the magical edgy game catalog of the Wii... under strict regulation.  

12. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 15:22 Evil Timmy

Can't tell if it's overwhelming sarcasm or ridiculously obvious trolling, but whatever LittleMe's post was composed of, it's blinding.  

11. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 15:10 LittleMe

Well now that the federal government is going to take care of our health, gaming (pro or not) may be viewed in the same light as smoking and be taxed & regulated. Good thing too. Also, any game that is viewed as addictive should be outlawed on grounds that we just can't afford to pay for the subsequent health care services. Now get back to work to pay off our government's debt and our wonderful health care.

I have an idea to create lots of government 'stimulus' jobs (on money borrowed from China). Have a big building with lots of people playing games and study the effects on their health. Yeah. Then use the data collected to outlaw and regulate gaming activities. Think of the jobs! It's all about creating highly useful jobs just like this. Then we can study the effects of gaming on the building itself. Perhaps the structure will weaken or something. There's endless job possibilities here. I think we could even start banning the Internet and web surfing on grounds that it's bad for our health and that would cost Obama too much.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

10. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 14:51 bobbyweenus

This really is such a subjective test situation that it's almost criminal to even report on this kind of bullshit.

There are fat pro gamers, there are also pro gamers who are in competitive athletic shape. It comes down to the person. A number of my personal friends who had 'pro gaming' careers were actually jocks in High School. Two of which were state champion wrestlers and one was a state champion football player.

This is just another case of people further perpetrating the myth that anyone who games seriously is fat, or somehow out of shape, and worthless to society.

@Techie: I've been to plenty of Walmart's to see huge, obese people in the bedding section. So I guess beds are the common denominator?

I mean, there are fat people everywhere. Don't blame gaming because a guy has no self control. Further more, someone show me a morbidly obese PRO GAMER, by Pro Gamer I mean someone who is paying bills based on competitive video game earnings, because in 7+ years of paying attention to the competitive gaming scene, I've yet to see a disgustingly fat man standing on a podium anywhere.

9. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 14:17 Cutter

I don't disagree Techie, my rant was just aimed at these useless "studies" in order to justify some twat's 4 year degree in basketweaving.

I think universities should be forced to be honest with anyone enrolling in the "arts" that there chances of obtaining a good career, much less in their actual field of study, are slim to none.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 14:05 Verno

Micklewright looks reasonably fit going by his essex profile page but that aside, who cares about this study? People who spend a lot of time on the couch tend to be fat, shock and amazement! They could be reading, watching TV or whatever and it would be the same story. I would wager that people who spend 4 hours a night watching TV have the fitness level of a smoker in their fifties too.  

7. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 13:53 Techie714 ©

@Cutter

I agree with the majority of your comments, however as you know this country has a HUGE obesity problem. When these "pro gamers" start having health issues and happen to be on the tax payer dime I don't want to pay for their lazy asses. I've been to enough LAN events in my time and have seen many of these HUGE , sweaty fat people sitting for hours on end eating Cheeto's and guzzling Mountain Dew as they sit there & sweat. People have a right to eat what they want & be as fat as they CHOOSE but I shouldn't have to pay for their choses in the long run.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 12:45 Cutter

What kind of shape are the researchers in, or the suits that give them the money to fund such asinine research in the first place? Besides the results being obvious, who really gives a shit? How the fuck do people like this justify their existence, much less their job doing dumn shit like this?

This is why university should be free for anyone in the applied sciences - medicine, engineering, etc., - and everything else in the "arts" should be exorbinantly expensive and free from any taxpayer support whatsoever. Education may never be a waste, but what you can do with it sure can be. If people want bullshit degrees that amount to nothing practical in the end, let them pay for it entirely.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 12:19 Techie714 ©

They need a Fitbit! Get one of these and they have leader boards & everything, it's kind of like a fitness competition. I love it!

www.fitbit.com

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

4. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 11:27 Evil Timmy

And even if gamers hate exercise, they can sneak it in. Keep weights by the computer, and do a quick set every time you die, while you wait to respawn (as 'punishment'). Or during commercial breaks while watching TV. I've added 15 pounds of muscle and lowered my body fat by 2% in the last year, largely courtesy of getting into that habit. Even with light weights, it'll ratchet up your metabolism if done regularly, meaning if you just sit on ass all day, you'll end up with less of it to sit on than you otherwise would.

InBlack: Indeed, the one game that's undeniably better in multiplayer.

3. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 11:00 shaggy

Yes, everyone should be as fit as possible, haha. Who are they kidding! The pro athletes enjoy doing what they do and they get better at it by doing what they enjoy. These pro gamers probably get more satisfaction from gaming than any workout that doesn't seem to 'level' them up for what they enjoy

Athletes can see gains by working out in what they enjoy. Gamers do not.

2. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 10:57 InBlack

Another thing that helps, sex.....Best cardio I ever had  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 10:36 RenownWolf

They should be doing some cardio each day, regardless of their profession. It's good for your body and could only be of benefit.

Give up 1 hour of training at games, for physical activity and they'll find they will improve at their game.

http://www.renownwolf.com

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo