Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Driver Tease

Ubisoft's Driver Page, where the title-bar reads "Driver1999," has a countdown to the Ubisoft E3 conference, currently reading 7+ days, where more will be revealed about plans to revive the Driver series of automotive action games. The page offers a live action sequence recalling the parking lot training in the original game, featuring a beautiful Mustang, an even more beautiful Challenger, and a San Francisco 49ers keychain, which correlates nicely with Ubisoft's recent domain registration for driversanfranciscogame.com.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Driver Tease Jun 9, 2010, 05:04 Trevellian

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 16:45:
Drezden wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 07:41:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 22:21:
I think someone should do an unofficial mod to i82 which actually FINISHES the game, because it's extremely clear that Activision just wanted to rush the fucking game to hit its release date, and the devs weren't given proper time to complete it. It's really sad because that could have been a great game, but there's a ton of hidden content in there that was cut a the last minute and merely disabled. I figure they only got like 60% of the way through the dev cycle before Activision said "HEY GUYS LET'S CASH IN! :D"

Fuckers.

You have no idea how much I'82 pained me. I was a very hardcore I'76 player, one of the last 100 who stayed until the games very end. We were all asked to Beta Test I'82 as a result since we played the original so long. Playing the beta was just heartbreaking after spending years playing I'76. What made 76 great was the depth of customizability. It was right on par with Mechwarrior and had the entire weight and mounting system, so you could have tournaments in what we called the AVA, the official Auto Vigilante Association. It was a basic ruleset that a few players came up with for competition play. Including such things as Weight classes. (So you could avoid lopsided matches. i.e. a Corvette Stingray with 2 roof mounted Homing Rockets and 2 Heavy Machineguns in the front grill, vs a Shelby Cobra with only 2 available roof mounts).

I miss I'76 deeply, but if they're just going to make another hollow sequal to it like 82 was. I'd rather Activision just stay away from the franchise altogether. Last time they touch it they just made the bastardized console versions, Vigilante 8 and it's sequals.

I'82 also broke the one major rule they established in I'76. As Skeeter would say "Never, get out of the car.", It's why Groove's sister was killed for christ sake.
Yeah, I loved I'76 as well. I still have the box and everything. I also, unfortunately, have the box for i82 as well, but that game was such a huge disappointment. The major improvement it had was in the graphics department. But if you actually dig into that game, there is hidden content that was cut from the game, and they tacked on an ending just to get the thing out the door. That was my original point. If they could take everything that made i76 great, and update it to be a modern game (though not the setting), that would be awesome. I used to love playing online with friends. That game was badass.

And about never getting out of the car, I think that might have been a result of the technical limitations of the engine, so they made it a part of the game to keep customers from going, "why can't I get out the car and steal a better/less damaged one??"

Oh I'm sure it was due to technical limitations. But at the same time, I liked that they worked it into the story. And felt it should have stayed that way in 82 since they put such a huge emphesis on not getting out of the car or you'd die. I think I'76 would have made a great MMO. I know. Auto Assault failed but, it didn't have the charm that 76 did. I think if would work, better setting, realistic cars and weapons. The only reason I enjoyed Auto Assault at all for a month or so was that it reminded me of 76.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 16:45 ForgedReality

Drezden wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 07:41:
I think someone should do an unofficial mod to i82 which actually FINISHES the game, because it's extremely clear that Activision just wanted to rush the fucking game to hit its release date, and the devs weren't given proper time to complete it. It's really sad because that could have been a great game, but there's a ton of hidden content in there that was cut a the last minute and merely disabled. I figure they only got like 60% of the way through the dev cycle before Activision said "HEY GUYS LET'S CASH IN! :D"

Fuckers.

You have no idea how much I'82 pained me. I was a very hardcore I'76 player, one of the last 100 who stayed until the games very end. We were all asked to Beta Test I'82 as a result since we played the original so long. Playing the beta was just heartbreaking after spending years playing I'76. What made 76 great was the depth of customizability. It was right on par with Mechwarrior and had the entire weight and mounting system, so you could have tournaments in what we called the AVA, the official Auto Vigilante Association. It was a basic ruleset that a few players came up with for competition play. Including such things as Weight classes. (So you could avoid lopsided matches. i.e. a Corvette Stingray with 2 roof mounted Homing Rockets and 2 Heavy Machineguns in the front grill, vs a Shelby Cobra with only 2 available roof mounts).

I miss I'76 deeply, but if they're just going to make another hollow sequal to it like 82 was. I'd rather Activision just stay away from the franchise altogether. Last time they touch it they just made the bastardized console versions, Vigilante 8 and it's sequals.

I'82 also broke the one major rule they established in I'76. As Skeeter would say "Never, get out of the car.", It's why Groove's sister was killed for christ sake.
Yeah, I loved I'76 as well. I still have the box and everything. I also, unfortunately, have the box for i82 as well, but that game was such a huge disappointment. The major improvement it had was in the graphics department. But if you actually dig into that game, there is hidden content that was cut from the game, and they tacked on an ending just to get the thing out the door. That was my original point. If they could take everything that made i76 great, and update it to be a modern game (though not the setting), that would be awesome. I used to love playing online with friends. That game was badass.

And about never getting out of the car, I think that might have been a result of the technical limitations of the engine, so they made it a part of the game to keep customers from going, "why can't I get out the car and steal a better/less damaged one??"

15. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 08:50 InBlack

I76 remake would totally rock! Man I dug that whole game totally. Everything, from the stylized graphics to the afros to the funky soundtrack that came on its very own *gasp* Audio CD....

Not to mention the killer gameplay and wacky semi-post apocalyptic setting....

Oh and yeah, never get out of the car! Right on!

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 08:29 Verno

I think Ubisoft seriously overestimates the pull of this IP.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

13. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 07:41 Trevellian

Fuckers.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2010, 07:46.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

12. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 04:21 space captain

fuck that bring back Redline  
Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 03:44 StingingVelvet

I got Parallel Lines for $1 on gogamer and people keep telling me to install it because it's good... I don't believe them, but one of these days I will check for myself.

As for a new one, I am scared because Ubisoft have been actively ruining their franchises for a while now.

10. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 02:46 ForgedReality

I love how in a story about Driver, nobody gives a shit about Driver.  

9. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 00:35 Cutter

I'd love to see a new I76. It'd cool to go a few years earlier too like 67 or 68. Driver was OK, I'd even check out this new version...if not for Ubisoft's DRM. Awww too bad, Ubisoft, yet nother lost sale.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 00:34 Creston

The campaign/story mode, whatever, in Driver was horrible. Ridiculous missions, shitty scripting, impossible goals, it just all made me tear my hear out.

However, they did have the most awesome quick mode of all time in it. I think it was called Escape or something. You start at a predetermined location, hood to hood with a cop. He's angry. You have to escape. It was fantastic, especially with the awesome movie editor the PC version had with it.

I played that mode for ages with a buddy of mine, each of us trying to come up with more spectacular escapes and movies. I'd reconsider buying another driver if it came with another such feature, and if it wasn't released by Ubisoft.

Creston

7. Re: Driver Tease Jun 8, 2010, 00:23 PHJF

In the video he is doing the driver training from the very first Driver game released... I still have it somewhere.

It took me like four hours to successfully complete that.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Driver Tease Jun 7, 2010, 23:32 Kegaro

In the video he is doing the driver training from the very first Driver game released... I still have it somewhere.  

5. Re: Driver Tease Jun 7, 2010, 23:29 ReverendTed

SM0k3 wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 22:25:
Bumpy wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 22:07:
How about they just junk the tired, soleless, Driver series and make a stylized, funky Interstate '76 clone instead.

YES!!!!!
Very yes.

4. Re: Driver Tease Jun 7, 2010, 22:55 ASeven

No love for Destruction Derby?

Would love to see a new DD title, DD2 was dumb fun.

3. Re: Driver Tease Jun 7, 2010, 22:25 SM0k3

Bumpy wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 22:07:
How about they just junk the tired, soleless, Driver series and make a stylized, funky Interstate '76 clone instead.

YES!!!!!

2. Re: Driver Tease Jun 7, 2010, 22:21 ForgedReality

Fuckers.

1. Re: Driver Tease Jun 7, 2010, 22:07 Bumpy

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo