Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

I Hate Mountains for L4D

The I Hate Mountains Website now offers the first full version of the I Hate Mountains modification for Left 4 Dead, Valve's co-op zombie shooters. Word is: "The I Hate Mountains campaign is divided into five different maps, just like Valve did with their own campaigns in Left 4 Dead 1. The difference is that our campaign is entirely nature-oriented, there’s only a few building [sic] and most of the action takes place in outdoor environments, which is a challenge to build in itself. We also focused our development on offering a better re-playability by providing several long alternate paths in the levels that can totally change the way you play it." Thanks b00m. Update: Apparently the L4D2 version is not available yet (thanks Prez).

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 20:55 Kxmode

How can you hate mountains Valve? What did they ever do to you?! Wait... is this about that time you and Fugi did that thing that really pissed off Gabe? Oh... LOL. Yeah, let's not talk about that.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 17:36 DG

I installed KF and was reminded of the bad bits from 1990's PC games right away. It looked terrible - not just not fancy graphics or whatever, but just... bad. Then it kept screwing up on loading or the menus, then it worked but each time I joined a game it fell over...

I really liked L4D but they did not execute the lobby system well (and I definitely think it was the right way forward for the game, if only they'd done it right). This was compounded by the lack of incentive for people to buy servers, which meant relatively few freebies were thrown up as advertising, which was further compounded by all Valve's EU servers being in Germany. So you mess around for ages getting the map you want (and, cross fingers, a decent team) and then mess around some more to get a decent server, and each time you get a bad one most people quit without thinking of just voting back to lobby.

In the beginning for L4D1, when it was really really busy, the flaws weren't so much of an issue 'cuz there were so many good options it couldn't really miss a decent enough game. Soon as games got a little hard to find, the problems become an issue far more often than not.

Oh and then there's what happens when it updates. In TF2, the only problem I've had is servers shutting down mid-game to install a patch, at which point my Steam starts updating and 5mins later I'm back in. In L4D, Steam updates itself then tomorrow I can join a server.

(This is from my UK perspective, YMMV)

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 2010, 17:44.

8. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 17:32 Caveman

Killing Floor is not superior. It's a mod, literally with a price tag. It's $20 for a survival game mode. Gets boring after an hour since it's the same thing, over and over, and over and over and over.

7. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 17:09 Bet

Drezden wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 16:02:
Killing Floor is absolutely teeeeeerrible. The aiming alone is pathetic and makes the game almost unplayable. Me and the same group of guys I play with to dominate through both L4D games just absolutely hated everything about KF.

You must have the same problem with aiming in Red Orchestra, then. Once you get a feel for it, you don't need to look down the weapon sights. Getting headshots without looking down the sights becomes pretty easy with practice.

L4D has no challenge, unfortunately. Versus is dead (waited practically an hour to start a L4D 2 versus campaign not long ago), and co-op is a waste of time once you've played the campaigns more than a few times.

Which is why mods like this are great. Variety in L4D is good.

6. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 16:02 Trevellian

Killing Floor is absolutely teeeeeerrible. The aiming alone is pathetic and makes the game almost unplayable. Me and the same group of guys I play with to dominate through both L4D games just absolutely hated everything about KF.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

5. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D Jun 7, 2010, 15:22 Verno

I'm with you, Killing Floor didn't impress me at all. One thing it did however have was the ability to frighten to me, something that Left 4 Dead hasn't done in awhile. I hope Valve gets back to the scares at some point, games in general are too comfortable these days.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

4. Re: Why are people still playing L4D/L4D2? Jun 7, 2010, 14:41 Sacrifice

The campaign looks well done, I look forward to trying it out. It is by the same guys who did Portal Prelude.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 13:59:
Killing Floor is superior in every way except advertising.

I disagree. While Killing Floor has a few interesting features, I didn't like it overall. The game play consists mostly of turtling in a corner or corridor. I found it tedious.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

3. Why are people still playing L4D/L4D2? Jun 7, 2010, 13:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Offtopic but:

Killing Floor is superior in every way except advertising.

Yes, more guns/melee weapons/items, welding doors, better gun mechanics, better zombies in Killing Floor.
Yes, Killing Floor existed prior to L4D, as a 2005 mod for UT2k4.

Flame fodder aside, yes the two games are quite different, and I'll probably at least try the I Hate Mountains campaign since it is for L4D. *EDIT* and not just for L4D2!

2. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D/L4D2 Jun 7, 2010, 13:55 winnetou

The L4D1 version might end up being the superior one since the development started as a ~1 mod. Their website states (regarding porting the ~2 version):
"...there’s missing Left 4 Dead 1 survivors (obviously), which means there’s also missing voices, and missing textures, and missing sounds, and missing entities (from the Crash Course update), and missing particle systems and missing infected populations, etc."

1. Re: I Hate Mountains for L4D/L4D2 Jun 7, 2010, 10:34 Prez

The L4D2 version is "Not Yet Ready" according to the download page. Darn! I'll be patient and wait for it for the better engine, even if the original survivors are far superior.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo